Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my B5.5 passat has developed a reasonable clutch judder when cold. Unless I slip the clutch heavily it chatters and shakes the whole car.

Happy to change it myself but has anyone got any experience with long term durability of going down the SMF route?
    They are DMF as standard for comfort of evening out the torque pulses but does this prolong clutch life too?

I also have the choice of organic or paddle clutch for the same cost. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit I've never really looked at DMFs very much, but in general I would tend to stick with the manufacturer's original design unless you have a very good reason to change. I've worked in a design office and plenty of thought is put into how best to address a problem! (Not that every design solution is necessarily a good one, but I've heard too many armchair engineers go on about how poor a design is because they don't understand the surrounding issues)

Another way to look at it - I assume the car has at least 50,000 miles on it, probably more like 100,000. Do you anticipate running the car another 50+k miles? If not, then you won't see any durability benefit of a solid flywheel over a DMF!

ReputationRep:
    I'd stick with the DMF, great and I would suspect almost as durable so long as the previous owner doesn't ride the clutch and over heat it!!

ReputationRep:
    Flywheel should be done with the clutch on B5.5's.
    If the spring breaks you'll be doing the job again. The purpose of the DMF is to try and reduce the shock loading on the gearbox internals. Yes, it's more expensive than a solid unit, but it's cheaper than a new 'box.

ReputationRep:
    Looks likeDMF it is. I don't sell my cars and plan to use this as a daily until something catastrophic happens. The dream is an E39 M5 or E36 M3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EchoTango)
    Looks likeDMF it is. I don't sell my cars and plan to use this as a daily until something catastrophic happens. The dream is an E39 M5 or E36 M3
    I couldn't stick that game.
    I've had about 70...

E39's are pretty cheap at the mo. Get one bought if thats what you want. The E36 M3 have done all their depriciation now. The values are now at the turning point and will be chasing z3m's shortly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I couldn't stick that game.
    I've had about 70...

E39's are pretty cheap at the mo. Get one bought if thats what you want. The E36 M3 have done all their depriciation now. The values are now at the turning point and will be chasing z3m's shortly.
    I had a 525d as a daily until it was written off by a polish trucker in July. Agreed that now is the time to buy an M3 of the that era.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 18, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.