Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am mum to a son who has not received the grades he needed to take up his offered place to study adult nursing at Lincoln. He needed a B and 2 Cs but got a C D E. He then applied to Napier through clearance, who wanted two Cs but was unsuccessful. . He is talking about resitting his English (the D) whilst working in a healthcare environment this year, and applying again but I am concerned that maybe uni isn't for him and he should look at other alternatives...just not sure what! He repeated year 12 and so has completed 3 years at 6th form, which also makes me think academia doesn't come naturally to him.
    Also, all the agencies we talked to need experience before employing him, which is a bit like the chicken and the egg scenario. I think he is struggling a bit with what to do next.He knows his family are fully behind him and love and support him but he closes down when we try and talk about other options and says he'll deal with it. He has admitted that he feels he has let everyone down and that breaks my heart a bit! Any ideas where we can signpost him to? At 19, he needs to earn money and be independent so volunteering isn't really a full time option. He is our first child, so this is all new to us!! He doesn't know I've done this and would probably disown me but I just want to help him through this tricky period by being as proactive as I can.
    Thanks for any hepl!

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm, just redo the whole year BCC in itself isnt ambitious. He's laid the bed, so he has to lay it even better before sleeping

ReputationRep:
    He can't redo the 2nd year as he had to redo his first year ...he'll be 20 years old in December.
    (Original post by SCAR H)
    Mmmm, just redo the whole year BCC in itself isnt ambitious.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my daughter was in a similar position. She got B C E at A-level in august and therefore her 2 offers she held both rejected her. She was also unsuccessful in clearing. As she had only completed 2 years at college though, she has gone back for a 3rd year and is studying the BTEC health and social 90 credit diploma which the universities have said they will accept alongside her A-levels. She was first offered the access course to nursing though but then they realized she was only 18 and needed to be 19 to do this course. Couldn't your son do this course. Its only a 1 year course and would give him the entry requirements (although I do think there is a cost of about £1800

ReputationRep:
    he could consider working as a nursing assistant, if necessary starting as a bank employee. A relative of mine who was not good at school started as a nursing assistant, then did a degree and is now a nursing sister. https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.