The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Benteke's main problem is his finishing, rather than anything to do with the set up. And I'm not comparing him to Mario, because Mario's always been a ****e finisher whilst Benteke has at least been good before, but that was Mario's problem last season too in a system that wasn't identical, but comparable.

Work ethic is an issue for him, too.

We saw that Origi's enterprise and enthusiasm could help the team yesterday. Indeed, I think there's definitely an argument that strikers create their own luck, and Origi did that with the deflection by picking himself up, dusting himself off and going for the jugular.

Benteke had the least touches and the lowest passing accuracy of any of the starting eleven.
Ignore that.. didn't realise Lacazette signed a new contract in August 2015.

So do we try and adapt Benteke or accept he might not fit Klopp's preferred style and sell?

Rodgers did the same to Carroll despite being an expensive player.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Still think Leicester will drop off when they get a few injuries and their lack of depth gets exposed, like Southampton last year. No idea who'll do it out of Spurs, Liverpool and United as we're all ****e and keep dropping points to bottom half fodder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leicester are well ahead of where Southampton were last year. If they win today then they have 7/9 from fixtures that at the start of the season were very tough. With only City and Arsenal looking able to get 75+ at the moment I'll be fascinated to see if Leicester have enough in them to keep contending. They'll certainly building a cushion atm.
We have to play Leicester on Boxing Day :frown:
Original post by swirly

Klopp will single handedly stop Anfield from turning into a library.
Original post by Zerforax
Klopp will single handedly stop Anfield from turning into a library.

its already a museum

ayyyyyyyyyyy

Spoiler

Original post by swirly
its already a museum

ayyyyyyyyyyy

Spoiler

Museum because the club holds so many important trophies?
Museum because the club holds so many important trophies?

liverpool fans and history. liverpool fans and history.

expected better comprehension skills from you zero ffs:frown:

So do we try and adapt Benteke or accept he might not fit Klopp's preferred style and sell?

You've got to try and implement him somehow, and I think Klopp will. That said, I think Klopp will have a ruthless streak if he deems a player to be surplus to requirements. Time will tell, but we've seen - United at Old Trafford, and the Bordeaux at home match - how Benteke can create moments of inspiration from nothing.
Thoughts on this comment lads?

Original post by Rk2k14
Now I'm a realist. Saying Liverpool will challenge Chelsea is plain stupid when you consider whats been going on the last few seasons.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3523623&page=391&highlight=chelsea%20top%204&p=60467429#post60467429
Original post by swirly
liverpool fans and history. liverpool fans and history.

expected better comprehension skills from you zero ffs:frown:

I don't even know what you're talking about tbh.

Original post by Mackay
You've got to try and implement him somehow, and I think Klopp will. That said, I think Klopp will have a ruthless streak if he deems a player to be surplus to requirements. Time will tell, but we've seen - United at Old Trafford, and the Bordeaux at home match - how Benteke can create moments of inspiration from nothing.

I don't think he can ever be Klopp's first choice striker. Will always be the plan B imo.
Mignolet on the brink of penning that contract extension, apparently.

Poor timing...
Original post by Mackay

Poor timing...

Surely we can't be that dumb?

Poor Bogdan.
Issue is if Bogdan was given an extended run, given that he's not top tier, we'd undoubtedly see traits in his game we were unhappy with and he could improve on.
Original post by Mackay

Poor timing...

Huge mistake on Klopp's part imo. Nothing else has been questioned but this will massively.
No player has made more errors that have led directly to a goal in the last 3 PL seasons than Mignolet, with eight mistakes.
Original post by Mackay
No player has made more errors that have led directly to a goal in the last 3 PL seasons than Mignolet, with eight mistakes.

The most frustrating thing is that he doesn't need a new contract just yet. He reportedly signed a 5 year contract when he first joined so his contract runs until summer 2018.

So he's still got 2.5 years left on his current contract and NO ONE will be trying to poach him from us. For most quality players, I'd agree with getting them to sign a new contract at this point. For example if Coutinho had 2.5 years left, we'd all be shouting till we were red in the face to get him a new deal.

We really should wait till the summer after Klopp's seem him for a full season. He's not going to lose any value by then and then we can make an informed decision as to whether we sell (can sell for a decent price when 2 years left but not too expensive to shift if we can't find a buyer) or we can give him a new contract if he's improved.

The only logically answer is that Mignolet is blackmailing Ian Ayre and therefore getting a new contract :colondollar:

The only logically answer is that Mignolet is blackmailing Ian Ayre and therefore getting a new contract :colondollar:

That explains it all.

Meanwhile, this was two years ago today.

[video="youtube;6wDdYnmsYT4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wDdYnmsYT4[/video]

Hope we see Flanagan back soon.
Original post by Mackay
That explains it all.

Meanwhile, this was two years ago today.

[video="youtube;6wDdYnmsYT4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wDdYnmsYT4[/video]

Hope we see Flanagan back soon.

Honestly don't know what else it could be. Agreed if he only had 1.5 years left on his contract so we needed something signed soon but 2.5 years is plenty to delay till the summer.

I'm not sure I can handle Mignolet for a few more years..

Will we ever see a similar Flanagan again? Obviously he didn't rely on pace or anything so maybe being out of the game for so long won't affect those attributes but most often the player returns not quite the same..

Latest