The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Interesting scenario tonight.

Stoke will literally have to just go for it. The game could well turn in to an end to end battle. In general I feel like we'd win a contest like that, but if we have a bad game or if Stoke recreate their previous form in the PL, they could definitely overcome us.

All I would say is that I'd much prefer to play an attacking team like this instead of a Pulis side. Stoke need to score a goal regardless, but my biggest fear is that we'll be ahead with 10 mins to go and they'll throw on Walters/Crouch for long balls.

Overall with Shawcross out, that's a massive plus and I'm hoping for an entertaining game tonight.
Original post by Lúcio
Interesting scenario tonight.

Stoke will literally have to just go for it. The game could well turn in to an end to end battle. In general I feel like we'd win a contest like that, but if we have a bad game or if Stoke recreate their previous form in the PL, they could definitely overcome us.

All I would say is that I'd much prefer to play an attacking team like this instead of a Pulis side. Stoke need to score a goal regardless, but my biggest fear is that we'll be ahead with 10 mins to go and they'll throw on Walters/Crouch for long balls.

Overall with Shawcross out, that's a massive plus and I'm hoping for an entertaining game tonight.

I think Stoke will be relatively balanced until halftime. They know they will be in trouble if they concede another goal so I don't think they will be gung-ho until after HT. That said, if we score an early 2nd goal, it should be end to end.

Wonder if Stoke will opt for Crouch and Walters knowing our problems..
Heading to Anfield later. Come on the Reds.

Original post by Zerforax

Wonder if Stoke will opt for Crouch and Walters knowing our problems..

I was astounded Hughes didn't use the latter against us in the first-leg. Their attacking trident - of Bojan, Afellay and Arnautovic - was strangely blunt and ineffective.
Original post by Mackay
Heading to Anfield later. Come on the Reds.

I was astounded Hughes didn't use the latter against us in the first-leg. Their attacking trident - of Bojan, Afellay and Arnautovic - was strangely blunt and ineffective.

How often you making it to games these days? So jealous. Wish it was a bit closer for me but basically means spending a day and a half travelling/staying/driving to watch a match.

I think Stoke wanted to try and play their own game at home. Their set-up is exactly the type of sides we've had success against recently so he will probably switch it up.

Hoping it will be a great atmosphere tonight. Can't see Klopp changing it from the weekend really.
How often you making it to games these days? So jealous. Wish it was a bit closer for me but basically means spending a day and a half travelling/staying/driving to watch a match.

Every home cup match - be it League Cup, FA Cup, or Europa League.

Because I've been to every League Cup match this season, bar Southampton and Stoke away, I'm hopeful of bagging a ticket to the final if we get there.
Seems we might be significantly upping our bid for Teixeria..

Something like £30mil upfront and £8mil in add-ons.
Seems we might be significantly upping our bid for Teixeria..

Something like £30mil upfront and £8mil in add-ons.

Surely they'd accept that.

Credible source?
Original post by Lúcio
Surely they'd accept that.

Credible source?

Nothing credible, just more speculation really.
Original post by cBay
It isn't the CB's that really matter at set pieces, it's the whole team. They all need to be switched on but they're not, our concentration levels are atrocious (and not just at set pieces). Our midfielders and Moreno are the main culprits in that respect, although Sakho also has his moments.

True, but when your injury list is as long as ours and players are missing training for weeks at a time, they simply won't be able to defend as a team because the team itself is constantly undergoing massive changes (not so much recently, but earlier in the season).

Conceding 4 goals from set pieces against Norwich though, that was the epitome of our poor defending. It needs sorting out, and soon.
Mignolet, Flanagan, Toure, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Henderson, Milner, Lallana, Firmino.

Subs: Ward, Lovren, Benteke, Allen, Ibe, Teixeira, Smith.
Original post by mr tim
Mignolet, Flanagan, Toure, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Henderson, Milner, Lallana, Firmino.

Subs: Ward, Lovren, Benteke, Allen, Ibe, Teixeira, Smith.

Surprised that Flanagan is being trusted so soon with a start (in a game which could go to extra time).

Otherwise as expected really. At least our bench is starting to look a little stronger!

If Flanagan can't complete the 90 minutes, do Ibe or Smith come on at RB? Not sure Toure can play RB anymore..
Liverpool should have this
It's not pretty but playing Crouch and going for set pieces is a sure fire way of beating us.

Screw you Stoke.
Both teams have been absolutely awful passing-wise.
Our pressing has led to Stoke giving us a lot of free possession but we keep messing it up whether it be a terrible pass or an embarrassing first touch.

Can has been bright and showed a lot of energy so far. Sakho has been exceptional against the likes of Crouch.

We've gotten very tight to them in our half but I feel like if they brought on Shaqiri, we'd have real problems.
Stoke 1-0 up... of course.
Was probably offside
Terrible defending but clearly offside.

If we lose because of that...
I don't think Stoke will be able to continue at that high intensity in the second half so we really need to make sure we carve out a few chances and score a goal. I'll be so pissed off if we don't get through to the final.
Original post by The.Joker
I don't think Stoke will be able to continue at that high intensity in the second half so we really need to make sure we carve out a few chances and score a goal. I'll be so pissed off if we don't get through to the final.

Stoke have been distinctly average. That game didn't deserve a goal. It was offside but it wasn't ruled as such, so we just have to accept things are level.

All we really had to do was score first in the and the tie was pretty much over. Now we really have to get a goal and we haven't even gotten close so far.

Carragher is quite rightly tearing Moreno apart because he has been absolutely dire.
Ugh so offside..

Latest