The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samir12
Lallana is frustrating but very useful when the game is open. Against Norwich he made the difference when he came on, at the cup final he also made the difference in ET. He thrives on having space but when faced with several bodies in front him, the guy is ineffective. The main problem is that he doesn't provide any end product consistently enough, Milner despite not being as technically gifted on the ball is ahead of him in that respect.

Todays game changes nothing with regards to our squad, we still need a CM and a winger to stretch compact defences. We seem to only be able to create chances at will if the game is wide open unless we are playing ****.

I think that's exactly why we're so good against City.
They may be of higher quality than the other teams we face but they leave themselves more open and it's easier for us to exploit. We seriously struggle to break down a tight, compact defence playing on the counter. That's exactly why we lose to WBA but can tear City apart.

As you were saying, the first goal is huge. They scored first on Sunday and it meant they could sit back and counter. We scored first yesterday so they had to go all or nothing and it made it so much easier for us.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456988903.465909.jpg

Brutal from Lawro :biggrin:
There's no doubt Benteke will be sold - he wasn't used at all in 120 minutes of our cup final and he only plays when a win is certain like yesterday.

He'll probably be the first player we sell and it'll likely be for around 20m. I don't think we'll have a problem getting rid of him.
Benteke's gone, yeah. Sunday seemed to be the nail in the coffin. Even if Klopp would like to retain him as an option, I think Benteke may himself push for the move given his omission from the starting XI in the final.
Original post by RVNmax
You might want to google Joel Matip. :smile:

Whoops, forgot about him xD
Reply 5224
I have to say Flafu was absolutely immense for somebody who has been out for so long and to come up against the likes of Sterling and Silva. In fact the whole backline was solid and deserves credit. Set Pieces are still a problem though and one that we look no closer to solving. Zonal marking definitely did not work last night, we were lucky to get away with it on multiple occasions.
Original post by Lúcio
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456988903.465909.jpg

Brutal from Lawro :biggrin:
There's no doubt Benteke will be sold - he wasn't used at all in 120 minutes of our cup final and he only plays when a win is certain like yesterday.

He'll probably be the first player we sell and it'll likely be for around 20m. I don't think we'll have a problem getting rid of him.

Well Klopp has completely frozen him out. Can't see how he would want to stay either. Plenty of clubs will want to buy - wages will be an issue and query who he would be willing to move to?
Can see West Ham wanting to add to their collection of beasty black players :P.
Original post by cBay
I have to say Flafu was absolutely immense for somebody who has been out for so long and to come up against the likes of Sterling and Silva. In fact the whole backline was solid and deserves credit. Set Pieces are still a problem though and one that we look no closer to solving. Zonal marking definitely did not work last night, we were lucky to get away with it on multiple occasions.

The tackle on Sterling was exactly what the crowd needed after Sunday. Flanagan knows the feeling around the club, he knows the faces and the mentality of Liverpool. It's imperative we have a local lad or two in and around the side, and he's a very Klopp type of player. I'd be looking to give him a new contract before the summer personally, especially given Moreno's inability to fill me with confidence, and Jose Enrique soon to depart.
Original post by Mackay
The tackle on Sterling was exactly what the crowd needed after Sunday. Flanagan knows the feeling around the club, he knows the faces and the mentality of Liverpool. It's imperative we have a local lad or two in and around the side, and he's a very Klopp type of player. I'd be looking to give him a new contract before the summer personally, especially given Moreno's inability to fill me with confidence, and Jose Enrique soon to depart.

I was really impressed by him. Haven't seen a player come back from injury and play that well in a long time.
He's rash at times but I'd say that's refreshing. He may be aggressive and go in for the tackle but at least he tries to stop the ball being crossed in.
Too many defenders nowadays back off and back off. The cross gets put in to the box and the opponents score. Flanagan may leave himself open sometimes but he does the unexpected and goes for the tackle. He could definitely fine tune his game but I'm perfectly content with our fullback situation if we have Flanagan at LB and Clyne at RB.

Let's not forget we still have Smith too. If Klopp doesn't think he's ready, send him out on loan and buy a LB to compete with Flanagan. As for Moreno, I reckon we could get a decent sum for him. He'll never make it here because there are too many fundamental flaws in his game. He isn't good enough going forward and he's an abysmal defender.

All in all with Matip coming in, the only thing I feel like we need in defence is a new GK. Personally I'd shell out 20m for ter Stegen (if he'd want to come) or Butland. Aside from that, we could really do with a 40m+ signing to get things going. People may laugh but I feel that Gotze (or another quality fringe player for Barca/Real/Bayern) is an attainable option if we were to pay enough out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lucas out for 5-6 weeks, Sakho in light training, Sturridge trained normally.
Re-injury rates for players coming back from an ACL are too high to allow us to bank on just Flanagan and Smith for left back for next season. Flanagan's great but him and Clyne provide nowhere near enough going forwards as a pair, we need a proper replacement for Moreno. Next January we can target an option to compete with Clyne.

Also can we like... not post stuff from Mark Lawrenson
Shame for Lucas. Thought he did really well at centre-back, even against Aguero in the final.
Annoyed about Lucas. He was just showing some decent form and leadership.

Won't be much of the season left by the time he's back.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Re-injury rates for players coming back from an ACL are too high to allow us to bank on just Flanagan and Smith for left back for next season. Flanagan's great but him and Clyne provide nowhere near enough going forwards as a pair, we need a proper replacement for Moreno. Next January we can target an option to compete with Clyne.

I guess Flanagan as 3rd choice fullback for both flanks and fulfilling the homegrown rules isn't a terrible option? Agree about Clyne/Flanagan only. Also had Gomez who gave a decent account of himself as LB when you'd expect his long term future to be at RB since he's right footed?

As long as no one posts anything from Garth Crooks tbh..
Original post by Zerforax
I guess Flanagan as 3rd choice fullback for both flanks and fulfilling the homegrown rules isn't a terrible option? Agree about Clyne/Flanagan only. Also had Gomez who gave a decent account of himself as LB when you'd expect his long term future to be at RB since he's right footed?

As long as no one posts anything from Garth Crooks tbh..

I'm very happy with Flanagan as a back up on either flank. He's as good a back up as we'll ever get, and he'll play his heart out when he's on the pitch. I'd actually probably be fine with him as a starter on either flank if the other fullback was a competent attack-minded fullback. Gomez is a CB. It's even more likely that he's going to be a CB now that he's had an ACL and he's not as sharp on the turn (I'd guess, but hopefully his recovery goes really well). He's an absolute Rolls Royce of a player, one of the first names on the team sheet at 17 before his injury.

Didn't say Lawrenson because he's a moron like Crooks (most pundits are), but because of his ignorance towards the values of this club a few weeks ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pimped Butterfly

Yeah good point; we have some great potential at fullback for years to come but you're right in saying we need a quality fullback who can get forward.

Not to get over-hyped but I'd forgotten how good Flanagan actually is. He has room to improve but he's the same age as Moreno and I'd definitely prefer the former at LB.

Pls, Lawrenson pisses me off too but it was funny :frown:
Throwback Friday

Original post by Dirtybit
Throwback Friday

Yellow card though
It'll be interesting to see the line-up tomorrow, given Thursday's importance. I personally wouldn't change the back five. I'd have Flanagan on the right, and Clyne on the opposite flank.
West Ham worry me.
If we don't pick it up; they could leave us with no Europe next season.

Hell they might even get top 4...

Latest