The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Wonder if Benteke is being sold end of the season and whether anybody will take Balotelli?

Milan definitely won't.

He and Bacca have barely started together, and three goals in 16 is hardly great form. I think the fanbase are tiring of him, and Berlusconi has hardly been backing him in the press.

The weird thing is that he's completely curtailed all his extra-curricular headline-making antics. He seems genuinely to be knuckling down and focusing on football, but I just don't think he's the player he once was.
Original post by Mackay
Milan definitely won't.

He and Bacca have barely started together, and three goals in 16 is hardly great form. I think the fanbase are tiring of him, and Berlusconi has hardly been backing him in the press.

The weird thing is that he's completely curtailed all his extra-curricular headline-making antics. He seems genuinely to be knuckling down and focusing on football, but I just don't think he's the player he once was.

Yeah, I was wondering if there is a future for him at Liverpool but I think that a striker may be bought to play alongside Sturridge/as starter.
Original post by jam277
Yeah, I was wondering if there is a future for him at Liverpool but I think that a striker may be bought to play alongside Sturridge/as starter.

Can't see it. No doubt he's pissed off higher ups, the fans will be on his back and he doesn't have the pace to press like Klopp likes.

Factor in that his contract expires next summer, I imagine we'll try to offload this summer.
Balotelli never was the player that you think 'he once was'. Self-propagated hype and media BS and penalties covering up a shambolic scoring record. Undeniably talented with the ball at his feet but never converted it into consistent goals.
Reply 5804
Original post by Zerforax
Hmm wiki says:

"From the 2015–16 UEFA Europa League season, however, UEFA will not allow the runners-up to qualify for the Europa League through the competition"

Ugh I guess we are rooting for West Ham/Man Utd to win the FA cup then (assuming we finish 7th).

Otherwise I guess Watford to win..?

um why? Does anyone really care about qualifying for the Europa League enough to want Man Utd to win a cup?
Original post by Real Friends
Balotelli never was the player that you think 'he once was'. Self-propagated hype and media BS and penalties covering up a shambolic scoring record. Undeniably talented with the ball at his feet but never converted it into consistent goals.

Agree. In fact you'd argue that in the euros, where he was the top striker in the competition and had his most consistent run of form he just benefited from the fact Spain had Torres and a midfielder, Rooney played that competition lacking match fitness and France were pretty uninspiring the entire competition. He also only really got seen as a top player in that competition because of his performance against Germany too.

He's also not talented enough to be the system like Ibra is for PSG and he's not hardworking enough to fit those successful high pressing systems of the past few years.
Reply 5806
also Balotelli will either sit in the reserves on go to China. Nobody wants him.
Original post by Real Friends

got a shout out by Drake tho

how many footballers can claim that
Original post by cBay
um why? Does anyone really care about qualifying for the Europa League enough to want Man Utd to win a cup?

Yes I care more about Liverpool being successful than what Man Utd do. I think it's important to qualify for the EL as a minimum.
Yes I care more about Liverpool being successful than what Man Utd do. I think it's important to qualify for the EL as a minimum.

Exactly.

Plus if United get top 4 and a trophy, they'll keep LVG instead of getting a decent manager.

I don't actively want United to do well, but if that fool stays with them, that's good for us next season.
Original post by jam277

He'll end up going to China, where he'll be indulged.

He was booed onto the pitch by Milan fans this weekend. Crikey.
There is no chance van Gaal will continue as United manager beyond this summer even if we manage a 4th place finish. The atmosphere around the club and stadium for the 16/17 season would be highly toxic and I'm pretty sure Woodward and the board will be aware of this. The reason why most United fans especially the match going fans havent gone ape**** is because its almost like an envitable conclusion that van Gaal will be told to **** off this summer or he'll simply step down. The hardcore away fans have already turned on van Gaal. Add in the fact that United have been **** this season and the way van Gaal continues to mismanage the players and his **** football style implemented at United, it'll definitely put off any top footballers from joining. I'm pretty sure Woodward is aware of this and probably just waiting til the summer to make change since top 4 and an FA cup is still possible to achieve this summer. We all saw and are seeing what effect the Pep announcement has had on City, so I'm guessing Woodward is just allowing van Gaal to see the season out. Also, Mourinho has said he doesn't want to take over mid season and wants to start a new job in the summer so maybe Woodward is holding off til then as well.

Obviously knowing Woodward and our board, we'll probably appoint Giggs ffs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the board wanted to appoint Giggs they'd have done it in December. He isn't getting anywhere near the job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
If the board wanted to appoint Giggs they'd have done it in December. He isn't getting anywhere near the job

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems that Giggs will leave in the summer then? Or can you see him sticking around while being overlooked again?
Seems that Giggs will leave in the summer then? Or can you see him sticking around while being overlooked again?

Mourinho won't keep him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Mourinho won't keep him

Posted from TSR Mobile

You reckon he's best to go develop his managerial career and experience elsewhere then? Should he try and be a number 2 to an experienced coach or go straight into the deep end?

What happened to Solskjaer after Cardiff?
You reckon he's best to go develop his managerial career and experience elsewhere then? Should he try and be a number 2 to an experienced coach or go straight into the deep end?

What happened to Solskjaer after Cardiff?

I personally think and I'm sure many others share this opinion, is that Giggs should just leave and start his managerial career elsewhere. I know he's been at United his entire life and has a strong connection with the club and may even know the club inside out better than anyone but he has next to no experience to manage a club such as United. Heck, he hasn't even managed the U21s or anything and apart from the 4 games he had as interim boss, barely has anything on his managerial CV. He must be deluded (if reports are true that he thinks he deserves a chance to manage United) if he thinks he can just be handed the United job. Our next manager is crucial and giving it to someone with next to no experience is suicide.

Giggs should go manage Celtic or a championship club. Maybe even a lower league PL side.

Solskjaer is back at Molde and seems to be doing alright. They're placed 4th in their league.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
I personally think and I'm sure many others share this opinion, is that Giggs should just leave and start his managerial career elsewhere. I know he's been at United his entire life and has a strong connection with the club and may even know the club inside out better than anyone but he has next to no experience to manage a club such as United. Heck, he hasn't even managed the U21s or anything and apart from the 4 games he had as interim boss, barely has anything on his managerial CV. He must be deluded (if reports are true that he thinks he deserves a chance to manage United) if he thinks he can just be handed the United job. Our next manager is crucial and giving it to someone with next to no experience is suicide.

Giggs should go manage Celtic or a championship club. Maybe even a lower league PL side.

Solskjaer is back at Molde and seems to be doing alright. They're placed 4th in their league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess it's tough when he sees managers like Guardiola, Zidane etc being given the chance. Will have been 3 years of being assistant which he probably sees as a long time?

It's a tough league to be given a break or even time.
I guess it's tough when he sees managers like Guardiola, Zidane etc being given the chance. Will have been 3 years of being assistant which he probably sees as a long time?

It's a tough league to be given a break or even time.

Zidane and Guardiola all have experience managing the U21s which is something Giggs has not done. He has next to no experience of being the main man and so therefore he has no right to be taking over at arguably one of the three biggest clubs in the world in Manchester United. He has been part of 2 failed managerial stints as assistant manager, I actually think that whoever comes in next, may tell him to accept a coaching role rather than an assistant manager role or even tell him to pack his bags.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Zidane and Guardiola all have experience managing the U21s which is something Giggs has not done. He has next to no experience of being the main man and so therefore he has no right to be taking over at arguably one of the three biggest clubs in the world in Manchester United. He has been part of 2 failed managerial stints as assistant manager, I actually think that whoever comes in next, may tell him to accept a coaching role rather than an assistant manager role or even tell him to pack his bags.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a little surprised that Man Utd haven't sorted out who will be in charge next year. You'd imagine other clubs have already started planning and sounding out targets.

Latest