The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bammy jastard 27
Na, similar level in terms of being a goalscorer but Sturridge has more pace, dribbling ability and link up play(which is severely underrated due to the 'selfish' tag he used to get unfairly based on his days at Chelsea).

I'd say Kane's probably better in his off the ball movement(although both players are good in that sense) but Sturridge has more to his game. Kane can hold the ball up better though.

Reckon Sturridge's perception of the 'selfish tag' is affecting him currently? Because watching him on Saturday, I wanted him further forward. He appeared to be coming deeper - whether that's to shake off the lazy perception of him being 'lazy' or a shirker, I'm not sure - and I want him further forward, because him being deeper than Coutinho/Lallana is not what we need.
Original post by Lúcio
Sturridge is extremely lethal and his technique for hitting the ball is exceptional. However the thing is, Kane is just as lethal too.

The goal he scored against us was out of absolutely nothing, just like Sturridge's vs Newcastle. Both strikers are excellent and although Sturridge has the pace, his injury proneness put him slightly below Kane.

As for Kane, his progression has a footballer has been absolutely amazing. Can we just acknowledge that this man at 22 years of age has 48 goals in 79 apps for Spurs. What the actual hell?

Yea I wasn't trying to say Sturridge is better. Just someone may be high in demand due to nationality (see Sterling), or age or potential (see Stones) or not much time left on contract.

Reality is that Kane has had two exceptional seasons whereas Sturridge is only just starting to find form.

Original post by Mackay
Reckon Sturridge's perception of the 'selfish tag' is affecting him currently? Because watching him on Saturday, I wanted him further forward. He appeared to be coming deeper - whether that's to shake off the lazy perception of him being 'lazy' or a shirker, I'm not sure - and I want him further forward, because him being deeper than Coutinho/Lallana is not what we need.

I think he just wants to be more involved in games? He wants to touch the ball as much as possible. When we had Suarez, we had a lot of interplay high up the pitch. Don't think Sturridge wants to be an Owen/Inzaghi/RVN figure who just puts the ball in the net. Obviously would be nice if he was trying to stretch the pitch whether staying on the last shoulder or running the channels but then you still have the same issue of he's not in the box?

More and more it does look like Sturridge and Origi could be a sensational combo with both playing different games which compliment each other while they switch who stays in the box (i.e. if Sturridge comes deep then Origi goes into the box or if Origi runs a channel then Sturridge takes the central position). Hard to drop most of the trio in Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana though with the latter two who are look like they are starting to find real form.
Original post by Mackay

It's nothing to do with his selfish tag, he's always enjoyed dropping deeper.

Right now he might do it more often because he can't sprint full speed. But he is sprinting better and trusting his body more than a few weeks ago.
Kane is a great striker and I've backed him ever since he exploded, but he doesn't come to close to matching Sturridge on a goalscoring level. The merits of their games otherwise can be long debated but when it comes to pure goalscoring, Sturridge in his three semi-fit seasons at Liverpool has been at 0.75, 0.84 and 0.90 per 90 without penalties, Kane over the last two seasons has been at 0.57 and 0.67. Over a full 38 game season that's a gap that amounts to 9 goals.

Even at Bolton, Sturridge was scoring at 0.74. Kane's obviously the striker you'd rather have on your roster because of fitness reasons but quality-wise there's no debate to be had.
Original post by Zerforax

I think he just wants to be more involved in games? He wants to touch the ball as much as possible.

No surprise given the amount of football he's missed.

When we had Suarez, we had a lot of interplay high up the pitch. Don't think Sturridge wants to be an Owen/Inzaghi/RVN figure who just puts the ball in the net.

Despite my assertion that I want Sturridge further up the pitch, my favourite goal of his was when he picked it up deep and ran at WBA's defence in 2013-14 before netting that beautiful lob.
Original post by Summer Sixteen
Kane is a great striker and I've backed him ever since he exploded, but he doesn't come to close to matching Sturridge on a goalscoring level. The merits of their games otherwise can be long debated but when it comes to pure goalscoring, Sturridge in his three semi-fit seasons at Liverpool has been at 0.75, 0.84 and 0.90 per 90 without penalties, Kane over the last two seasons has been at 0.57 and 0.67. Over a full 38 game season that's a gap that amounts to 9 goals.

Even at Bolton, Sturridge was scoring at 0.74. Kane's obviously the striker you'd rather have on your roster because of fitness reasons but quality-wise there's no debate to be had.

That goal by Sturridge this weekend against Newcastle was ridiculous..
Hillsborough jury to announce verdict tomorrow at 11am, Ings compensation fee tomorrow and Sakho drug case tomorrow. Big day for LFC tomorrow.
Reply 6847

Yeah that is true, I was more saying because of the goalscoring rate is harder to maintain over a longer period of time, saying that Sturridge hasn't really suffered a goal drought for Liverpool when playing an extended run of games while Kane has which is something to mention.

Over the course of Sturridge's career from Chelsea onwards(where he has played at RW for Chelsea and been a substitute player for 2.5 seasons) he scores a goal every 150 mins despite not taking penalties and I guess with Kane being Spurs penalty taker that pads his stats a little(uhsure of how many pens

Original post by Mackay
No surprise given the amount of football he's missed.

Despite my assertion that I want Sturridge further up the pitch, my favourite goal of his was when he picked it up deep and ran at WBA's defence in 2013-14 before netting that beautiful lob.

Yeah that goal was jizzworthy.

The thing is Sturridge plays well in both sides of the role, you lose his link up play if he's playing high up the pitch, but you lose his ability to run in behind when he is deep. I think Sturridge's game is best when complimented with a similar striker, one who's mobile and can create as well as run in behind, which is what I guess Suarez was able to do). When you pushed up vs Liverpool Sturridge hurts on the counter(Arsenal lol) and when you sat deep Suarez would create chances because of the higher amount of space between the lines that he has.
Original post by mr tim
Hillsborough jury to announce verdict tomorrow at 11am, Ings compensation fee tomorrow and Sakho drug case tomorrow. Big day for LFC tomorrow.

The Ings decision is hardly big news. A fee will be decided between £5-10mil which is hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.

Presumably we just find out the results of Sakho's B test results? This will drag on through the summer tbh..

Hillsborough decision will be huge.
Sturridge's injury problems are partially his own fault, staying fit is part of the game and Kane works 100x harder than Danny so if anyone is over-exerted it's him. It's not like his goalscoring record is that much better anyway (0.58 goals per game for Liverpool to Kane's 0.51, and that's including his pre 2014/2015 record which was 5 goals in 26 games). A whole ****ing season of playing alongside Suarez in a team that scored over 100 league goals helps as well I guess.

Hillsborough decision will be huge.

Not to anyone other than a fraction of a population
Reply 6850
Original post by BeFoUr
Sturridge's injury problems are partially his own fault, staying fit is part of the game and Kane works 100x harder than Danny so if anyone is over-exerted it's him. It's not like his goalscoring record is that much better anyway (0.58 goals per game for Liverpool to Kane's 0.51, and that's including his pre 2014/2015 record which was 5 goals in 26 games). A whole ****ing season of playing alongside Suarez in a team that scored over 100 league goals helps as well I guess.

Not to anyone other than a fraction of a population

His 14/15 record he was injured most of the season and he don't take pens.

In the league and cup in 14/15 he played a total of 946 mins and scored 4 goals. Plus as seen by this season(and in 12/13 when Suarez got banned) he is capable of scoring without him(although he made him play better, similarly to how Sturridge made Suarez play better at Liverpool)
That goal by Sturridge this weekend against Newcastle was ridiculous..

Absolutely magnificent. Brings back memories of his goal against Fulham. His goals generally ooze quality to be honest.
27 bammy jastard
The thing is Sturridge plays well in both sides of the role, you lose his link up play if he's playing high up the pitch, but you lose his ability to run in behind when he is deep.
One of the best things about Sturridge is his ability to move around the pitch perfectly. He knows exactly when to drop deeper and when to run beyond. His movement is the best in our squad and one of the best in the league.
Jury's verdict:

1)Do you agree with the following statement which is intended to summarise the basic facts of the disaster: “Ninety-six people died as a result of the Disaster at Hillsborough Stadium on 15 April 1989 due to crushing in the central pens of the Leppings Lane terrace, following the admission of a large number of supporters to the Stadium through exit gates.”

YES

2) Was there any error or omission in police planning and preparation for the semi-final on April 15, 1989, which caused or contributed to the dangerous situation that developed on the day of the match?

YES

3) Was there any error or omission in policing on the day of the match which caused or contributed to a dangerous situation developing at the Leppings Lane turnstiles?

YES

4) Was there any error or omission by commanding officers which caused or contributed to the crush on the terrace?

yes

5) When the order was given to open the exit gates at the Leppings Lane end of the stadium, was there any error or omission by the commanding officers in the control box which caused or contributed to the crush on the terrace?

YES

6) Are you satisfied, so that you are sure, that those who died in the disaster were unlawfully killed?

YES - justice finally done!

7) Was there any behaviour on the part of the football supporters which caused or contributed to the dangerous situation at the Leppings Lane turnstiles?

NO

8) Were there any features of the design, construction and layout of the stadium which you consider were dangerous or defective and which caused or contributed to the disaster?

YES

9) Was there any error or omission in the safety certification and oversight of Hillsborough Stadium that caused or contributed to the disaster?

YES

10) Was there any error or omission by Sheffield Wednesday and its staff in the management of the stadium and/or preparation for the semi-final match on April 15, 1989, which caused or contributed to the dangerous situation that developed on the day of the match?

YES

11) Was there any error or omission by Sheffield Wednesday and its staff on April 15, 1989, which caused or contributed to the dangerous situation that developed at the Leppings Lane turnstiles and in the west terrace?

NO

They were asked if any error or omission MAY have contributed or caused the dangerous situation.

YES

12) Should Eastwood and Partners (structural engineers) have done more to detect and advise on any unsafe or unsatisfactory features of Hillsborough Stadium which caused or contributed to the disaster?

YES

13) After the crush in the west terrace had begun to develop, was there any error or omission by the police which caused or contributed to the loss of lives in the disaster?

YES

14) After the crush in the west terrace had begun to develop, was there any error or omission by the ambulance service (SYMAS) which caused or contributed to the loss of lives in the disaster?

YES

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-disaster-inquests-verdicts-delivered-11240268
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
x

I think families will still want to see someone responsible.

There is a question about Duckenfield

What happens now then? If any of the police in charge at the time of the incident are alive, will they go to jail?
There is a question about Duckenfield

Yea I guess we'll hear an answer sooner or later.

Interesting that the stadium/Sheffield Wednesday also being shown as being at fault.
His goals generally ooze quality to be honest.

brb

Yea I guess we'll hear an answer sooner or later.

Interesting that the stadium/Sheffield Wednesday also being shown as being at fault.

Even the emergency responses were found to be at fault for the loss of lives.
Main points:

LFC fans unlawfully killed - Q6 main one. Police to blame, LFC fans not to blame.

Latest