The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Coutinho hits the woodwork for the second time...
1-0 Ings.
2-0 Woodburn
3-0 Suarez
Matip goes down tunnel injured towards the end of the match.
Reply 8545
Original post by Jimmy Seville
3-0 Suarez

+1
Coutinho was fabulous today; showing exactly why we can't afford to lose him.

Karius had one nervy moment where he lost concentration but recovered well. Aside from that he was commanding throughout.

Matip was excellent - he has height, pace and positioning but is obviously yet to be tested by a competent attacking force.

Ings really does know where the goal is and scored again today. Had he not gotten injured last season, he could've made a huge difference to our campaign.
We're after Newcastle's Wijnaldum. Fee between £15m-£20m
Oh God no
We are closing in on Augsburg defender Ragnar Klavan for around £4m
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
We're after Newcastle's Wijnaldum. Fee between £15m-£20m

Don't understand the logic.

Original post by mr tim
We are closing in on Augsburg defender Ragnar Klavan for around £4m

Not sure about this one but presumably he would be on very low wages. I'd be surprised if we would be paying him more than 20-30k a week and he seems to have plenty of experience. Apparently could cover at LB in an emergency if needed.
Original post by Zerforax
Don't understand the logic.

Makes no sense if we are signing him to play AM when we have just signed Mane. Think he can also play as CM so maybe we are signing him as a Zielinksi alternative?
Original post by samir12
Makes no sense if we are signing him to play AM when we have just signed Mane. Think he can also play as CM so maybe we are signing him as a Zielinksi alternative?

Can't be as an AM.. he'd maybe be our 5th best AM?

Presume as a CM as that is where he played at PSV. If we're going down our list, surely at some point it makes more sense to give Allen a new contract instead?
Can't be as an AM.. he'd maybe be our 5th best AM?

Presume as a CM as that is where he played at PSV. If we're going down our list, surely at some point it makes more sense to give Allen a new contract instead?

Klopp wants him as he's more attack minded and he's an alternative to Zielinski. I think with Allen they'll see what he wants and whether or not he's happy to remain at Liverpool and have reduced playtime.
Original post by The.Joker
Klopp wants him as he's more attack minded and he's an alternative to Zielinski. I think with Allen they'll see what he wants and whether or not he's happy to remain at Liverpool and have reduced playtime.

Not sure why we can't just try and throw a few more million at Udinese rather than 20mil+ for Wijnaldum.

Also I struggle with spelling his name so can be please sign someone else!
Not sure why we can't just try and throw a few more million at Udinese rather than 20mil+ for Wijnaldum.

Think the Zielinksi transfer is being hampered by the Sinclair transfer to Watford (Watford and Udinese are owned by the same people). We might have pissed the owners off with the Sinclair deal and so are relunctant to sell us Zielinksi.

Wijnaldum does have goals in him so in an attacking sense he is an upgrade on Allen. Can't compare to Zielinksi as we know nothing about him.
(edited 7 years ago)

I guess they don't rate Zielinski that highly/don't want to pay over the odds for him.

I'm really excited for the season to start, I know a lot of fans are disgruntled at the lack of a big name signing but I can't wait to see how Klopp develops the team and the players.
Original post by samir12
Think the Zielinksi transfer is being hampered by the Sinclair transfer to Watford (Watford and Udinese are owned by the same people). We might have pissed the owners off with the Sinclair deal and so are relunctant to sell us Zielinksi.

Wijnaldum does have goals in him so in an attacking sense he is an upgrade on Allen. Can't compare to Zielinksi as we know nothing about him.

Can't see why the owners would be so petty over a few million. I think Watford offered 1.5mil in Jan but in the end it was settled for £4mil.

Original post by The.Joker
I guess they don't rate Zielinski that highly/don't want to pay over the odds for him.

I'm really excited for the season to start, I know a lot of fans are disgruntled at the lack of a big name signing but I can't wait to see how Klopp develops the team and the players.

If they don't rate Zielinski highly, why would he have been pursued before Wijnaldum? We're not struggling for cash and look to be moving a lot of players on and off the wage bill too.
Can't see why the owners would be so petty over a few million. I think Watford offered 1.5mil in Jan but in the end it was settled for £4mil.

It was the way the deal happened which ticked them off, I think we wanted to take it to tribunal to get a higher fee, we offered Bournmouth a deal in the meantime but Sinclair rejected. The premature flirting with Zielinksi may have also annoyed them, whatever the reason they are not happy with us and it has impacted the Zielinksi deal. A few million may not be a lot considering the amount of money thrown about but for business owners they will want to squeeze as much profit out of thier business as possible.
(edited 7 years ago)

If they don't rate Zielinski highly, why would he have been pursued before Wijnaldum? We're not struggling for cash and look to be moving a lot of players on and off the wage bill too.

My theory is that Zielinksi was probably seen as better value than Wijnaldum which is why they went for him first. But because are we are being forced to go over our valuation, we thought we may as well just go for Wijnaldum if we are going to go over budget and we get a player who is more experienced. The last part doesn't sound that logical but I don't have any other explanation. :colondollar:

Latest