The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

2-1....from a corner.

Could see that coming a mile off.
This is so typical xD
Liverpool should be out of sight in this match - so many chances.
We could've easily scored 4 or more! A shame we couldn't keep the clean sheet and go to the top of the table but I'm glad we won. Karius is really not helping himself, hopefully he settles in as soon as possible.
Lol, Glen Hoddle saying Liverpool need to prove themselves against the big sides when it is the complete opposite that they need to do. Yh lets ignore the wins against Chelsea, Arsenal and draws against Spurs and United and the other big results we had last season..

Great win, shame we couldn't keep the clean sheet but its the 3 points that matter and there will be other dross to help get our GD up. Hopefully all Chelsea, United and City drop points and it will be a great weekend for us. Spurs game next but Palace away next week is the big one for us, we won there last season with some luck so hopefully the curse is indeed broken and we get the 3 points.
(edited 7 years ago)
Very frustrating because we should've scored at least 4 in that game and I was hoping we'd boost our GD.

That being said, a win is a win and we're always struggled against Pulis sides so I'll take it! The performance was great - we didn't do anything wrong; WBA rode their luck at times and simply scored from a set piece. That is all.

Karius is making it really hard to give him the benefit of the doubt though. Every time the ball goes in the air, he panics and does the wrong thing even if it's an easy one to collect. Aside from that, our defence was excellent both in possession and battling a big side. There's a stigma attached that we're poor defensively but we're no worse than City and have actually been decent in the last few months.
(edited 7 years ago)
Those goals were delicious :eek:

Maybe not a clean sheet but we dominated most of the game and cut through WBA's defence which is probably one the better ones in the league. Gives me a lot of confidence for this run of games.
Original post by Zerforax
Those goals were delicious :eek:

Maybe not a clean sheet but we dominated most of the game and cut through WBA's defence which is probably one the better ones in the league. Gives me a lot of confidence for this run of games.

Exactly. The scoreline makes it seem like it was more a game than it was.
We completely dominated them and they just happened to score from a set piece. Shame we didn't get more but we all know how hard it can be to beat Pulis sides.

Not many teams in the league can park the bus better than United and WBA, so I feel like some of our harder challenges are out of the way now.

Spurs in the cup next - looks like Henderson got a yellow on purpose so he can serve his suspension then. A cup run is always nice but our league form is so good that I'd certainly sacrifice the League Cup if it gave us an advantage.

Next PL game is Palace - we're a little cursed against them but we really should be putting 3 or 4 past them without too much trouble.
Reply 9828
I love the way he just casually categorised WBA and United in the same category.
Yeah, the category is a back 6+

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I love the way he just casually categorised WBA and United in the same category.

Both came and defended with numbers. Only had their striker and one other player pressing.

Not sure what was different in their game plans?

If anything, WBA created more chances..
Both came and defended with numbers. Only had their striker and one other player pressing.

Let's be honest, United are just an expensive version of WBA.

You can forgive West Brom because they're a mid-tabled side against higher quality teams. What excuse do United have?
Original post by Lúcio
Let's be honest, United are just an expensive version of WBA.

You can forgive West Brom because they're a mid-tabled side against higher quality teams. What excuse do United have?

prsom
Reply 9833

I know you're right but I was more surprised with how you said that so casually.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I know you're right but I was more surprised with how you said that so casually.

At this stage, I'd call it an insult to West Brom...
Original post by Lúcio
At this stage, I'd call it an insult to West Brom...

prsom
Obviously will be tons of ups and downs this season but hard to complain with this weekend of results!

Arsenal, Spurs and Man City all draw when expecting to win (City had the hardest game but were at home..)

Man Utd also lose which drops them a fair way behind the pack (having won 1 in 6 with 5 points to show).

Too early to say but does look like it might be closer to a 5 horse race for top 4 rather than the 6 teams expected.

Have to say I'm delighted and surprised with how we've started this season.
Firmino becoming the prince that was promised.
Obviously will be tons of ups and downs this season but hard to complain with this weekend of results!

Arsenal, Spurs and Man City all draw when expecting to win (City had the hardest game but were at home..)

Man Utd also lose which drops them a fair way behind the pack (having won 1 in 6 with 5 points to show).

Too early to say but does look like it might be closer to a 5 horse race for top 4 rather than the 6 teams expected.

Have to say I'm delighted and surprised with how we've started this season.

The reason why I wanted Chelsea to win today (rather than a draw) is because I simply can't write United off for top 4. They've had an awful start by their standards, but it's not like they're at the bottom of the table - 6 points seems like a lot but as long as they will, they'll usually make up ground on one or more of their rivals.

The great thing about so many teams challenging each other this season is that it's unlikely they're all gonna win in the same weekend, making it so much more exciting and unpredictable. We're the big winners of the weekend with Chelsea being the only other rival winning.

With City inconsistent and Arsenal being Arsenal, we're well in this title race. I don't think we'll realistically win but as it stands we're joint top and in fantastic form with some lovely fixtures on the horizon.
Mignolet to start tomorrow. Karius is No.1, Mignolet No2 choice.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest