Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have recently just decided to take up my course at northumbria univeristy due to personal reasons. My problem now is selling my accommodation! My accommodation has cost me £5400 a year with me having to pay £1800 upfront because it's private. In order to do this, I had to take out an overdraft and borrow money to pay the £1800 upfront. Anyway if i don't sell it, I will need to pay the full amount which I quite simply cannot afford. Can anyone give me any websites which specialize in selling or helping with anything that relates to my current issue? I've definitely considered getting a job to pay this off, but i'll need to work on minimum wage for atleast 20 hours for 43 weeks to cover this cost. As you can imagine, this is the opposite idea i had in mind for my future as i'll pretty much be working to cover a mistake which will cost me a good year of my life. Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH13)
    Hey, I have recently just decided to take up my course at northumbria univeristy due to personal reasons. My problem now is selling my accommodation! My accommodation has cost me £5400 a year with me having to pay £1800 upfront because it's private. In order to do this, I had to take out an overdraft and borrow money to pay the £1800 upfront. Anyway if i don't sell it, I will need to pay the full amount which I quite simply cannot afford. Can anyone give me any websites which specialize in selling or helping with anything that relates to my current issue? I've definitely considered getting a job to pay this off, but i'll need to work on minimum wage for atleast 20 hours for 43 weeks to cover this cost. As you can imagine, this is the opposite idea i had in mind for my future as i'll pretty much be working to cover a mistake which will cost me a good year of my life. Many thanks.
    Have you tried finding someone to take over your contract? This can sometimes work but I'm not sure if it works for private renting. I did this to get out of my contract and it saved me paying 42 weeks of rent that I wouldn't have even been living there for!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, in the same situation as you, let me know if you get anywhere with this as i am looking to pass my accommodation on as well

ReputationRep:
    Look at your tenancy agreement. Some (admittedly not many) will allow your contract to be terminated if you leave within a certain amount of time (at my accommodation it's 2 months after uni starts). Most unfortunately don't allow this, meaning you have to pay the money you agreed on the contract. Most people in your situation try to find someone else to take over the tenancy. Might be hard, so put up adverts wherever you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k3ro)
    Look at your tenancy agreement. Some (admittedly not many) will allow your contract to be terminated if you leave within a certain amount of time (at my accommodation it's 2 months after uni starts). Most unfortunately don't allow this, meaning you have to pay the money you agreed on the contract. Most people in your situation try to find someone else to take over the tenancy. Might be hard, so put up adverts wherever you can.
    Ive looked through the tenancy agreement and nothing that allows me to terminate the contract in there unfortunately I've put up adverts on student accommodation websites so hopefully someone will get back to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangowans)
    Ive looked through the tenancy agreement and nothing that allows me to terminate the contract in there unfortunately I've put up adverts on student accommodation websites so hopefully someone will get back to me!
    I'm the same, can't find anyone anywhere. Haven't even had anyone enquire about it either.

ReputationRep:
    Erm best website i can say is the uni or walton robinson. my friend couldnt sell her room them she got them to do it and they had someone in her room in like a month which wasnt to bad. I think they charged a fee but it was nothing compared to what my friend would of had to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Which websites are you putting it up on. You will probably need to find someone to put it up on websites like zoopla or houseshares.com. I know a lot of my friends didnt want to talk a house off students because they thought summat had to be wrong with it for you to want to leave and theirs no professionalism in it so they probably think they could be getting the back end of a deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH13)
    I'm in exactly the same situation! Please let me know how it went for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH13)
    Hey I'm trying to sell my room in Birmingham too! I've posted it on two Facebook groups, Gumtree and on this site, hope this helps.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for me ?? XX

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.