Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. First post on the forum.
    I am taking a year out after finishing a Counselling Diploma. I was originally going to go on the FD in Counselling, but had some doubts about whether it was the course I wanted to go on, so decided against it in the end. There were a few other options I had going, such as an FD in CAMH. I also applied for a place on an Developmental Psychology Hons Degree, but they suggested I do an Access to HE course as (despite being a mature student, aged 35) I do not meet the UCAS requirements.

So I have been considering my options. I am hoping to do an Access course (in Social Sciences - The modules are Psychology, Sociology and Health) via Distance Learning whilst working my 28 hour a week job.

I am definitely interested in studying in some capacity towards a career in Mental Health, as I suffered with a horrific mental breakdown back in 2008 which I am now recovered from. As such, the Uni of Worcester, whom were running all of the courses in the first paragraph, also run a Mental Health Nursing Hons Degree. The course info has massively interested me, as it sounds like a dream job at the end of it. Helping others who have had similar issues to what I have been through in the past.

There is one concern, however. I worked out that I can get around £6k a year in terms of maintenance grant/loans. I also understand I can receive an NHS Bursary in terms of support, though I do not have any idea how much I would receive - Living at home with retired parents, no children, etc.

This is because on the course website, it says:
    "Both on placement and at University, you should expect to work a 37.5 hour week, 45 weeks of the year. This can include antisocial hours and bank holidays, following the usual practice for the nursing profession.
    Nursing and Midwifery courses run over a 45 week period. This is split into two terms of study of 22.5 weeks."

I assume this means that I would have to quit my job in order to study as, reading into the above, I would be at Uni Monday-Friday or on a Work Placement for the equivalent of a full time post. How many times are you on placement in a year?

As I would be commuting to Uni for 35 miles on the train each time I am required to attend, at a cost of £12.50 per return, is there any way of getting a reduced rate train pass?

I think I could happily survive on around £8k a year if I was able to get the transport thing sorted. Otherwise, it would be more like £12k a year.

Do the figures in terms of maintenance grants/loans and bursary add up to able me to do this?

Any advice would be massively appreciated :-)
    Thanks.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by F4t3W34v3R)
    Hi guys. First post on the forum.
    I am taking a year out after finishing a Counselling Diploma. I was originally going to go on the FD in Counselling, but had some doubts about whether it was the course I wanted to go on, so decided against it in the end. There were a few other options I had going, such as an FD in CAMH. I also applied for a place on an Developmental Psychology Hons Degree, but they suggested I do an Access to HE course as (despite being a mature student, aged 35) I do not meet the UCAS requirements.

So I have been considering my options. I am hoping to do an Access course (in Social Sciences - The modules are Psychology, Sociology and Health) via Distance Learning whilst working my 28 hour a week job.

I am definitely interested in studying in some capacity towards a career in Mental Health, as I suffered with a horrific mental breakdown back in 2008 which I am now recovered from. As such, the Uni of Worcester, whom were running all of the courses in the first paragraph, also run a Mental Health Nursing Hons Degree. The course info has massively interested me, as it sounds like a dream job at the end of it. Helping others who have had similar issues to what I have been through in the past.

There is one concern, however. I worked out that I can get around £6k a year in terms of maintenance grant/loans. I also understand I can receive an NHS Bursary in terms of support, though I do not have any idea how much I would receive - Living at home with retired parents, no children, etc.

This is because on the course website, it says:
    "Both on placement and at University, you should expect to work a 37.5 hour week, 45 weeks of the year. This can include antisocial hours and bank holidays, following the usual practice for the nursing profession.
    Nursing and Midwifery courses run over a 45 week period. This is split into two terms of study of 22.5 weeks."

I assume this means that I would have to quit my job in order to study as, reading into the above, I would be at Uni Monday-Friday or on a Work Placement for the equivalent of a full time post. How many times are you on placement in a year?

As I would be commuting to Uni for 35 miles on the train each time I am required to attend, at a cost of £12.50 per return, is there any way of getting a reduced rate train pass?

I think I could happily survive on around £8k a year if I was able to get the transport thing sorted. Otherwise, it would be more like £12k a year.

Do the figures in terms of maintenance grants/loans and bursary add up to able me to do this?

Any advice would be massively appreciated :-)
    Thanks.
    For nursing you don't get grants from student finance England, you get a loan of £2300 a year from them and as a single person with no kids my nhs bursary is £401 a month. I get £7k roughly a year and my placement travel costs covered and that's pretty much the maximum as a single childless person I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    For nursing you don't get grants from student finance England, you get a loan of £2300 a year from them and as a single person with no kids my nhs bursary is £401 a month. I get £7k roughly a year and my placement travel costs covered and that's pretty much the maximum as a single childless person I think.
    Many thanks for the info, matey :-)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Many thanks for the info, matey :-)
    I realised I didn't answer your placement question; it varies between uni but my 1st year has two lots of 8 week placements then it goes up in 2nd and 3rd year

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again.
    So are you at Uni 5 days a week when not on Placement?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks again.
    So are you at Uni 5 days a week when not on Placement?
    I m only in my second week of first year but for this term, its mainly 4 days a week
    It depends on when they schedule practicals really as different groups get different times to do them so sometimes it's less than 4 whole days a week. We get directed study things to do at home on top too.
    This would vary between different unis though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.