Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm in 2 minds about whether to get a remark for some of my AS exams. In English lit in class I was getting about 80%+ on all my practice papers and in the actual exam I dropped down to 57% and even with the pressure I don't think I would have dropped that low. I want to get a remark because I was 1 mark off an A however I'm scared I'll lose 7 marks which will drop my overall grade to a B and my overall grade is An A. But I feel like I did better than the results and I want to have as much UMS this year to take the pressure off next year, is it worth the risk?

I also had a similar thing with drama where I was getting As in the practices and a C in the exam but I have to get 16 UMS to move up to an A and I'm dropping drama so is it worth it?

And finally for French I'm 2 marks off an A but I'm going to resist it probably next year but I want the A just incase I don't, should I do it?

Thaaaaanks

ReputationRep:
    So you got ABB? I would not advise remarking or retaking anything. You are close to an A in French and not it's still possible to get an A in Drama. Concentrate on your A2 and it is still possible to get 3 A's.

ReputationRep:
    No its not worth the risk, your grade os an A over all (well done) so theres no reason to, im guessing your strong point must be coursework so just work hard in that and maybe take a different approach to exam technique
    since your grade wont change with that 1 ums overall and english lit is so subjective i woulnt risk it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BekahMay)
    No its not worth the risk, your grade os an A over all (well done) so theres no reason to, im guessing your strong point must be coursework so just work hard in that and maybe take a different approach to exam technique
    since your grade wont change with that 1 ums overall and english lit is so subjective i woulnt risk it
    my only issue with english was how far off it was from all my practice papers and predicted grades and I did a lot better in my mocks but I don't feel the exam went bad and I'm only 1 mark off an A in that paper. It is risky but i would feel annoyed if I got the paper back and saw that i deserved more marks and more UMS at AS means less pressure for me to get an A at A2, thanks for the advice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    So you got ABB? I would not advise remarking or retaking anything. You are close to an A in French and not it's still possible to get an A in Drama. Concentrate on your A2 and it is still possible to get 3 A's.
    I was aiming for an A or A* With french and Its harder to get that with a B which is why i was going for the remark. Also with a remark does the examiner see your previous result or do they mark from scratch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizzaaaaaaa)
    Hi, so I'm in 2 minds about whether to get a remark for some of my AS exams. In English lit in class I was getting about 80%+ on all my practice papers and in the actual exam I dropped down to 57% and even with the pressure I don't think I would have dropped that low. I want to get a remark because I was 1 mark off an A however I'm scared I'll lose 7 marks which will drop my overall grade to a B and my overall grade is An A. But I feel like I did better than the results and I want to have as much UMS this year to take the pressure off next year, is it worth the risk?

I also had a similar thing with drama where I was getting As in the practices and a C in the exam but I have to get 16 UMS to move up to an A and I'm dropping drama so is it worth it?

And finally for French I'm 2 marks off an A but I'm going to resist it probably next year but I want the A just incase I don't, should I do it?

Thaaaaanks
    My advice would be to wait until your A2s are finished and you have your overall grades - then go about getting some remarks, as your AS's as they stand are very good, and since you're so close to the grade boundary, if you keep up the good work you will probably get the A overall that you want!

If you're really concerned, and want the A for the AS, then I would speak to your subject tutor and they can advise you if it's worth resitting or not. You could also perhaps order a copy of your exam script to see where you lost the marks and then work on improving those areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by actualkira)
    My advice would be to wait until your A2s are finished and you have your overall grades - then go about getting some remarks, as your AS's as they stand are very good, and since you're so close to the grade boundary, if you keep up the good work you will probably get the A overall that you want!

If you're really concerned, and want the A for the AS, then I would speak to your subject tutor and they can advise you if it's worth resitting or not. You could also perhaps order a copy of your exam script to see where you lost the marks and then work on improving those areas.
    my gut is telling me to go for the remark because i think the result of my exam was unfair but my head is saying it's risky

ReputationRep:
    my gut is telling me to go for the remark because i think the result of my exam was unfair but my head is saying it's risky
    If you're really wanting to push for that remark, then I would recommend that you speak to your subject tutor about the exam. They may want to have a look at your script before requesting for a remark! Remarking and script ordering is an expensive process, so make sure that your decision is one you really want!

ReputationRep:
    If it's any consolation, I recently got my Chemistry remarked and went up a grade! My overall score increased by 5 marks. I gambled £85 (thanks ocr) but if you have the money to risk I would consider remarking. If you really feel like you performed better than your grade(s) reflects, get a remark. I felt the same way.

At my school we get the money back if the grade increases. Is this the same with yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fstarpey)
    If it's any consolation, I recently got my Chemistry remarked and went up a grade! My overall score increased by 5 marks. I gambled £85 (thanks ocr) but if you have the money to risk I would consider remarking. If you really feel like you performed better than your grade(s) reflects, get a remark. I felt the same way.

At my school we get the money back if the grade increases. Is this the same with yours?
    yes but my mum said she was happy to pay for the remarks so the only thing holding me back is the risk to drop a grade

ReputationRep:

Thaaaaanks
    You take the same three subjects as me haha!
    Personally, with your fantastic grades already I wouldn't risk it, also seeing as it costs a fair amount of money.
    I'm getting my English remarked because I was 2 UMS off a B in my exam, and this along with my coursework may bring my overall grade up to an A, however before I did anything drastic I ordered my script and got my teachers to look over it. They said they thought I'd been very harshly marked so should send in for a remark. So if you;re desperate, get your script and advice from teachers first, though you may have missed the date to order scripts...I'm not sure though x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by actualkira)
    If you're really wanting to push for that remark, then I would recommend that you speak to your subject tutor about the exam. They may want to have a look at your script before requesting for a remark! Remarking and script ordering is an expensive process, so make sure that your decision is one you really want!
    Too late now.

ReputationRep:
    yes but my mum said she was happy to pay for the remarks so the only thing holding me back is the risk to drop a grade
    Any updates? Did you send it back or did you decide against in the end?

I'm actually pretty interested to see how it turns out! All the best btw (assuming you sent it back)

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.