Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Taking a look at Jeremy Corbyn's wikipedia page, he's 66 years old. By comparison, the other candidates for the Labour leadership were all in their mid-40's. By the time of the next general election in 2020, he could be 71 years old. If he were to be elected as our next Prime Minister, does anyone else think his age could be a serious issue for him?

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn will be replaced by someone who can actually win an election by occupying centre left in the same way as Blair. So his age is no issue.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Winston Churchill was old when he got elected for the second time, he was ill and had to have people like Rab Butler and Antony Eden do his work for him. Eventually Eden took over when Churchill resigned and i think this is what will happen with Labour, someone will take Corbyns place.

ReputationRep:
    With age comes wisdom. Do you really want to be lead by a public schoolboy who has worked in nothing but the industry of concealing facts and smudging errors?

ReputationRep:
    As long as he can dislodge the tories then all will be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Morality)
    With age comes wisdom. Do you really want to be lead by a public schoolboy who has worked in nothing but the industry of concealing facts and smudging errors?
    Do you think a 71 year old man could comfortably cope with all the stress of being Prime Minister? Maybe he will cope with it. I'm not having a dig at him as I agree with many of his polices. Simply saying that his age could be a problem if he gets elected as PM.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    Do you think a 71 year old man could comfortably cope with all the stress of being Prime Minister? Maybe he will cope with it. I'm not having a dig at him as I agree with many of his polices. Simply saying that his age could be a problem if he gets elected as PM.
    i agree, with age comes the risk of ill health
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Mugabe is 91 years old and he is the president of Zimbabwe. Age should no affect real leadership.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because Mugabe is a good example of a successful leader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    i agree, with age comes the risk of ill health
    Yes but Corbyn's actually in good shape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    Mugabe is 91 years old and he is the president of Zimbabwe. Age should no affect real leadership.
    Except Mugabe is a racist dictator.

Hopefully his legacy will live on in the younger people who admire him enough to care about it.

ReputationRep:
    Blair and Cameron are both good examples of people in their 40s not being up to such a big, big job. Cameron makes loads of little mistakes and some quite big, serious ones. Blair was obsessed with his appearance, with vanity issues generally and had a low ability to use his massive advantages to leverage real change.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    Yes but Corbyn's actually in good shape.
    yeah at the moment, but in 2020 he might not b

ReputationRep:
    I think his biggest issue would be keeping up with the high tempo of the election campaign, rather than doing the job if he were elected. If he began to look tired compared to his younger rivals it would play straight into the hands of anyone trying to call him too weak to be PM.

ReputationRep:
    His age is not important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    Taking a look at Jeremy Corbyn's wikipedia page, he's 66 years old. By comparison, the other candidates for the Labour leadership were all in their mid-40's. By the time of the next general election in 2020, he could be 71 years old. If he were to be elected as our next Prime Minister, does anyone else think his age could be a serious issue for him?
    71 isn't old these days if you are in good health which he is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    yeah at the moment, but in 2020 he might not b
    He is an old sea dog, as well as in good shape. He'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    71 isn't old these days if you are in good health which he is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Health can deteriorate a lot in 5 (possibly 10) years.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about that too.

He seems like a perfect leader for labour, it's a shame that he might pass soon because of his old age.

But hey, he could live till a hundred.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.