The Student Room Group

What are my chances? Cardiff University and Bristol University

MA English Literature at Cardiff / Bristol - what are my chances?

2.1 Degree from University of Gloucestershire (67% average, first class dissertation)
Pathway in Modern / Contemporary Literature at both - both require essays in application, to which i can both give first-class essays relating to British & American Literature 1900 - present respectively
Personal statement checked by tutor
Two reference i believe will be highly complimentary.

Applying to both on October 1st, which is first day of admissions for Bristol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NoHeroes94
MA English Literature at Cardiff / Bristol - what are my chances?

Since Universities are not that impressed with prestige and/or League Tables, the fact that your u/grad degree was from Gloucestershire wont make any difference at all. What they will be looking for is that you are interested in the same things as their research staff - ie. you have bothered to read the course description beyond it being called 'English Lit' and want to do their course rather than any other.

Secondly, it isnt getting place that is normally an issue for a Masters, its getting the funding. This is the reason most people dont go on to do postgrad - they simply can't afford it.

Btw, don't expect an instant reply to your application. Unis tend to be a bit busy at the start of the autumn term and you may not hear until Christmas or even later.
Reply 2
Forgive my ignorance, but besides tutor fees (im living at home, so i don't need accomodation) i didn't realise i needed any funding? It's a taught masters, not research

Could you let me know if there's any other funding i will need?
University webpages tell you what their fees are. The fee for the Bristol course, for example, is currently EU/UK £6,500, overseas £15,200. That's a significant amount for most people.

You've obviously got accommodation and general living costs as well.
Reply 4
My fees are 2800 a year, 5600 total - im using inheritance and salary, my parents have offered to pay a quarter of it as a few went to Cardiff and are happy I'm trying to do post grad although I won't take this unless km desperate as I'd like to self fund (currently saving 300 a month and have at least 3500/4000in savings for year 1, by September should have that)
Reply 5
I'm also just applying to Cardiff now, with work bristol is just top far

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending