Turn on thread page Beta

PPE/International Relations: St. Andrew's or King's College London? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The title pretty much says it all. I'm an international student from Brazil currently applying for PPE in the UK and for my fifth choice I haven't decided between St. Andrew''s or King's College London. While KCL has an actual PPE course (which is about 2 years old) and its location is great, it doesn't do very well in PPE rankings - even though people say its one of the UK's best universities. St. Andrew's, on the other hand, is the first in most politics rankings, but it surprisingly doesn't have an actual "Politics" course, only an International Relations one. I looked at the modules inside this course and they are quite similar to the Politics part of PPE, so I would be applying to International Relations and Economics, which is the closest thing to PPE there. I'm also worried about the location of St. Andrew's. Coming from Brazil, i'm not attracted by the fact that I'll have to take 1 bus ride and 2 flights to get home, and the place is cold even for UK standards.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caiomzg)
    The title pretty much says it all. I'm an international student from Brazil currently applying for PPE in the UK and for my fifth choice I haven't decided between St. Andrew''s or King's College London. While KCL has an actual PPE course (which is about 2 years old) and its location is great, it doesn't do very well in PPE rankings - even though people say its one of the UK's best universities. St. Andrew's, on the other hand, is the first in most politics rankings, but it surprisingly doesn't have an actual "Politics" course, only an International Relations one. I looked at the modules inside this course and they are quite similar to the Politics part of PPE, so I would be applying to International Relations and Economics, which is the closest thing to PPE there. I'm also worried about the location of St. Andrew's. Coming from Brazil, i'm not attracted by the fact that I'll have to take 1 bus ride and 2 flights to get home, and the place is cold even for UK standards.

What do you guys think?
    Who exactly says KCL is one of the UK's best universities? It's not in any field unless you count War Studies

Location of KCL is great, St Andrews is very old if you like that.

I don't think either are better academically, both are okay

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.
    If you look at the new QS University Rankings, they are 5th in the UK after Oxbridge, UCL an Imperial College. But true, they are not very famous for their politics courses. What I'm honestly worried about is my personal statement. Since i'm applying for PPE in all other universities, i'm writing it mainly about those three subjects, even though St Andrew's doesn't offer them. Would that reduce my chances of getting an offer there?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.