Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do examiners see the original mark and comments on a remark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizzaaaaaaa)
    do examiners see the original mark and comments on a remark?
    Your script is remarked by new examiners, however the original mark on your paper will be there. They can use this to determine how far off the next grade up you are, and sometimes try and find away to give you the marks you need for the higher grade.

Your original mark is not held against you in the sense if your grade is low, they're not going to bother trying to give you more marks. Your paper will be marked as if it is it the first time the examiner has seen it, only this time they will keep in mind what you need for the next grade up, and try and help you out a bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by actualkira)
    Your script is remarked by new examiners, however the original mark on your paper will be there. They can use this to determine how far off the next grade up you are, and sometimes try and find away to give you the marks you need for the higher grade.

Your original mark is not held against you in the sense if your grade is low, they're not going to bother trying to give you more marks. Your paper will be marked as if it is it the first time the examiner has seen it, only this time they will keep in mind what you need for the next grade up, and try and help you out a bit!
    cool thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizzaaaaaaa)
    cool thank you!
    A senior examiner will mark it according to the mark scheme - they do NOT 'try to help you out a bit' as that would be totally unfair on everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    A senior examiner will mark it according to the mark scheme - they do NOT 'try to help you out a bit' as that would be totally unfair on everyone else.
    Well I found through speaking to examiners that if a candidate is close to a grade boundary, they will always try their best to find the marks they needed to get them that grade.

They are also not necessarily marked by the singular head examiner either, the sheer amount of remarks that person would need to mark would result in remarks being late for university deadlines, so remarks are spread amongst multiple examiners in order to meet uni deadlines!

ReputationRep:
    Well I found through speaking to examiners that if a candidate is close to a grade boundary, they will always try their best to find the marks they needed to get them that grade.

They are also not necessarily marked by the singular head examiner either, the sheer amount of remarks that person would need to mark would result in remarks being late for university deadlines, so remarks are spread amongst multiple examiners in order to meet uni deadlines!
    I'm a teacher and you are incorrect - see my post. It is senior examiners that mark these and there are not so many that they can't be done in time. Only priority remarks need to be completed by 31st August - the others are still being done now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a teacher and you are incorrect - see my post. It is senior examiners that mark these and there are not so many that they can't be done in time. Only priority remarks need to be completed by 31st August - the others are still being done now.
    No need to be so hostile! I was just reporting what I was told by speaking to examiners, and the head of department, it may not be the same for every college or exam board!

Sorry for misreading your comment - my bad.

ReputationRep:
    No need to be so hostile! I was just reporting what I was told by speaking to examiners, and the head of department, it may not be the same for every college or exam board!

Sorry for misreading your comment - my bad.
    You are incorrect and it is wrong to mislead people.

By your theory everyone would go for a re-mark so they could be 'helped up a grade' which is clearly not true.

Some of my colleagues are examiners and evey board works the same as they are all subject to JCQ.

ReputationRep:
    You are incorrect and it is wrong to mislead people.

By your theory everyone would go for a re-mark so they could be 'helped up a grade' which is clearly not true.

Some of my colleagues are examiners and evey board works the same as they are all subject to JCQ.
    Okay, but I just explaining in my above comment I was repeating what I was told by others they are not my own words, and it is the advice I was given.

As I said earlier, no need to be so hostile, I'm not being rude to you and there's no need to be so blunt and argumentative over the internet!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, but I just explaining in my above comment I was repeating what I was told by others they are not my own words, and it is the advice I was given.

As I said earlier, no need to be so hostile, I'm not being rude to you and there's no need to be so blunt and argumentative over the internet!
    I'm not being hostile at all - just factual - please don't post things you don't know are true - it isn't helpful to other posters.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not being hostile at all - just factual - please don't post things you don't know are true - it isn't helpful to other posters.
    I was actually referring to your tone and the way your tone and posts came across - blunt and rude. How you see your comments can come across differently to others!

I was simply posting what I was told, in order to contribute to the discussion, and hopefully help this person out, and it was never my intention to mislead someone (as you so wrongfully accused me of.)

I'm not going to be replying to your comments anymore because they're just spamming up the thread with replies that aren't related to the topic matter at all.

ReputationRep:
    I was actually referring to your tone and the way your tone and posts came across - blunt and rude. How you see your comments can come across differently to others!

I was simply posting what I was told, in order to contribute to the discussion, and hopefully help this person out, and it was never my intention to mislead someone (as you so wrongfully accused me of.)

I'm not going to be replying to your comments anymore because they're just spamming up the thread with replies that aren't related to the topic matter at all.
    Perhaps you shouldn't use TSR if you think my posts are rude

'Tone' is subjective ...

As I said, don't post things you don't know are correct as you will mislead people whether you intend to or not.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.