Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping out of Uni for College? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I recently started my first week of University and I really don't enjoy it. I travel in via car (uni is about 40mins away). I'm thinking of dropping out and returning to college which is closer to home (I had completed a year and gained hnc) to complete a hnd then progress onto degree in college (the college offers degrees). Basically, should I give university a few weeks and see if I settle in? Everyone is all about going out and living the uni life and I just don't feel the same way. I preferred the college lifestyle and way of teaching. I really don't think I can manage another few weeks at university it's stressing me out.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely give it a few more weeks! It's natural to feel worried because it's a big change- there have been a few posts like this so it's clear that there are other people that feel the same as you.

Have you started the course- is that your main concern, the teaching style? Or is it the social side of university?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Its not all about the Uni life, You obviously want to still be in education so carry on. dont let the pressure to conform let you have a negative opinion on uni. Some people go there to party but some people go there to study. That's what the institution is all about. and in a few years you will; bump into uni life types and you will see. Dont be like everyone else!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vg21)
    Definitely give it a few more weeks! It's natural to feel worried because it's a big change- there have been a few posts like this so it's clear that there are other people that feel the same as you.

Have you started the course- is that your main concern, the teaching style? Or is it the social side of university?
    Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try and stick it out for a few weeks and see if I settle in or not. I'm worried about both to be honest. I have never been best at doing work off my own back and attending things etc so I think I will struggle to cope as the course furthers. Also I'm not sure the course I chose is the best. The social side is impacting as everyone is asking to go out and get drunk all the time and I'm scared I won't fit in as I don't really enjoy that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangogh)
    Hi, Its not all about the Uni life, You obviously want to still be in education so carry on. dont let the pressure to conform let you have a negative opinion on uni. Some people go there to party but some people go there to study. That's what the institution is all about. and in a few years you will; bump into uni life types and you will see. Dont be like everyone else!.
    Thank you for the reply.
    I just preferred my year at college as I got on and had similar interests with those around me. Just have a feeling University isn't for me but I'll try and give it a go for a while before making any decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lm993)
    Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try and stick it out for a few weeks and see if I settle in or not. I'm worried about both to be honest. I have never been best at doing work off my own back and attending things etc so I think I will struggle to cope as the course furthers. Also I'm not sure the course I chose is the best. The social side is impacting as everyone is asking to go out and get drunk all the time and I'm scared I won't fit in as I don't really enjoy that.
    I have to say I was the same when i started- i didnt consider dropping out, but did not really get along woth people in my halls. I found most of my friends through societies! If you join something yoi like you're guaranteed to meet people witj similar interests and the social side shouldn't be too bad!

In terms of the coirse I would juat wait and see- learning is quite self-directed, however as time goes on you'll adjust!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vg21)
    I have to say I was the same when i started- i didnt consider dropping out, but did not really get along woth people in my halls. I found most of my friends through societies! If you join something yoi like you're guaranteed to meet people witj similar interests and the social side shouldn't be too bad!

In terms of the coirse I would juat wait and see- learning is quite self-directed, however as time goes on you'll adjust!
    Thanks a lot! Gonna just try and power through first few weeks and see if it gets better

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.