Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just did the P3 exam. everyone else is going on about how hard it was but what was really so difficult? I was happy with the first six questions and would be annoyed if I dropped any marks. I think I dropped one or two on question 7 and dropped about 6 marks on the last question because I didn't finish it and made a silly mistake. Going by the general reaction I think this should get me an A but I am confused as to what made it so hard. I think the main problem was that people looked at the first question and were scared of it. It was relatively easy but it required you to keep going with it. Three out of four people I talked to said they gave up on it. Maybe that was a result of bad teaching in my school. I thought the paper was ok on the basis that there were lots of proofs so you could see if you were getting full marks for questions. How did you lot find it?

MB

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to sound anal, but i couldn't do the last part of q 8 and it pissed me off so much. I hate it when I can't do things in maths, spent res tof exam trying to do it, didn't check paper properly. Great(!)

ReputationRep:
    Yes me too
    I thought i was solving it but my bloody quadtratics were just so stupid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XYTER)
    Yes me too
    I thought i was solving it but my bloody quadtratics were just so stupid!
    Yeah same here, some insipid quadratic that wouldn't factorise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Yeah same here, some insipid quadratic that wouldn't factorise!
    Are you talking about 8d? I got a lame quadratic too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shift3)
    Are you talking about 8d? I got a lame quadratic too.
    Yes, let's all go decapitate that loser who wrote a lame question including lame quadratics.

ReputationRep:
    I've got the paper any want me to scan it?

ReputationRep:
    For 8d i got something like:
    B= (-1,-21,19)

(Original post by XYTER)
    GOD YES!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XYTER)
    Yeah please!!! !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XYTER)
    yeah thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Originally I got some stupid quadratic that didnt solve! However, I then realised that when I undid the square brackets I kept forgetting to DOUBLE the product of the 2 terms! Then I ended up with a ncie quadratic that divided by 98 to give x^2 -6x + 5 = 0 which solved nicely! Hope I got right answer, but I'm not entirely sure. Should have method marks neways!

Btw, you kno the question before that about the oil drop? For the equation of A did anyone get:

A = (2t - 2)^2
    and therefore as T->0, A->4? And A could only ever exceed 4 if t was less that zero which is not possible due to the condition of the equation that t>0?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like you did a different paper to me....are you doing edexcel or something? I did OCR....and well everyone that did OCR found it hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sioniebaby)
    It sounds to me like you did a different paper to me....are you doing edexcel or something? I did OCR....and well everyone that did OCR found it hard!
    that's cos the examiners put on their evil hats the day they wrote it. and they say exams are getting easier... trust out P3 paper to buck the trend.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i think all the people on this thread are doing edexcel

ReputationRep:
    Soz yeah I was talkin bout Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    i did ocr...wishing i did edexcel after reading every1s posts....
    yeh err read my other post in the other P3 thread. basically talking about how awful it was boohoohoo...

ReputationRep:
    found the paper alright (nothing too difficult), although got stuck on 8d too!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Er sorry to dissapoint you all but my scanner's being kinda werid its doen this before i know how to fix it but it takes ages and i Chem 2morrow. I'll have the paper up by soon after midday 2morrow if thats alright?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.