The Student Room Group

Can I get into a good medical school without A-Level Maths?

Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and my aspiration is to become a General Practioner! So I've been looking at really good universities to hopefully apply for such as Imperial, UCL and KCL. Also, my A-Level choices are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology. Although, i understand medical schools are quite competitive, especially the ones i want to go to D: Therefore, i'm quite worried that my chances would be hindered if i don't study Mathematics at A-Level.
Reply 1
That is fine for pretty much all medical schools. As far as I know, Oxbridge prefer it if you have 3 sciences for A2, so if you dropped physics after AS, then you may be at a slight disadvantage. Otherwise, you are absolutely fine! :smile:
Reply 2
Maths A level is by no means necessary for medicine. Chemistry is the only essential A level and you're severely limiting your options if you don't take Biology (Why wouldn't you take it if you want to do medicine), Physics is good to have as a third science. Your A level choices are great! You'd also look more favourable at UCL as they prefer a 4th subject which isn't a Science, I'm not sure whether Psychology fits that bill but it might!
Maths is not necessary! Most med schools like you to have at least Chemistry and Biology but there is absolutely no specification for Maths!
Reply 4
Like the above person said, there is absolutely no specification for maths so you will certainly not be disadvantaged!
Original post by CiCi18
Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and my aspiration is to become a General Practioner! So I've been looking at really good universities to hopefully apply for such as Imperial, UCL and KCL. Also, my A-Level choices are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology. Although, i understand medical schools are quite competitive, especially the ones i want to go to D: Therefore, i'm quite worried that my chances would be hindered if i don't study Mathematics at A-Level.

There's no such thing as a bad medical school. :lol: Never forget that.

Cambridge is the only university which asks for three sciences at A-level; every other medical school in the UK would be satisfied with chemistry, biology and one other academic subject. This 'I need maths to become a doctor' myth is surprisingly ubiquitous and I can't, for the life of me, work out how or why it got disseminated...
Reply 6
Phew, I feel so relieved now ! A big thanks to everyone for the awesome replies, much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending