Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Im asked to choose 3 subjects for my ALevels by this Saturday but Im still not sure what to take.

Im confirmed to take Maths as it is highly required for all careers.

Im also 85% confirmed to take Psychology.

But I have to choose to either take Physics or Chemistry or Biology. Apparently, Ive always scored Physics the highest amongst 3 for assessments and Biology is always higher than Chemistry.

I want to take Physics but Ive been told its not really related to Psychology.
    I find Chem simpler than Biology but my grades says otherwise. And, Biology is required in my list of careers.
    Ive always find Bio is complicated tho.

Do you think I should take Chemistry or Biology? And is Psychology easy to catchup if we miss the first 3 months of studying it?
    Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollylilianna)
    Hi! Im asked to choose 3 subjects for my ALevels by this Saturday but Im still not sure what to take.

Im confirmed to take Maths as it is highly required for all careers.

Im also 85% confirmed to take Psychology.

But I have to choose to either take Physics or Chemistry or Biology. Apparently, Ive always scored Physics the highest amongst 3 for assessments and Biology is always higher than Chemistry.

I want to take Physics but Ive been told its not really related to Psychology.
    I find Chem simpler than Biology but my grades says otherwise. And, Biology is required in my list of careers.
    Ive always find Bio is complicated tho.

Do you think I should take Chemistry or Biology? And is Psychology easy to catchup if we miss the first 3 months of studying it?
    Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post!
    Well, a level maths isn't highly required for all careers for a start, but its good. Picking a subject that you enjoy and will do well in is more important than anything else. If you want to do psychology at university, some science subjects are more relevant but won't necesarily help you in terms of applications (doing worse in a more "relevant" science subject looks bad).

In terms of relevance for psychology:
    -Psychology A level
    -Statistics A level (or statistics modules of maths A level).
    -Biology
    -Maths A level (without stats)
    -Chemistry
    -Physics

Also psychology isn't easy to catch up on (lots of memorising to do).

ReputationRep:
    i would say biology would go best with psychology (we had to learn about how the body reacts to stress in psyc which felt more like biology to me)

it wouldnt be easy to catch up on 3 months of psychology - but if you could go to workshops/revision sessions and work hard, it wouldnt be impossible (depending what modules you missed), its mostly memorising studies and basic concepts

ReputationRep:
    Yep definitely Biology

ReputationRep:
    I realise you now only have one day, but...

Each uni has its criteria listed, if they simply specify A B B (or whatever) and don't list specific requirements for subjects, then you can take whatever. I got into undergrad with History, ICT and Business A-levels - I took AS Biology and Psychology (I got a D in that), but I didn't need those UCAS points in the end.

Obviously Psycholgoy and Biology will 'look better' on your application. But getting a C in Biology, instead of an A in Chemistry will cost you real points, which can cost you a place.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.