Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I hope this isn't in the wrong forum.

I'm twenty one years old and I want to go back to university. I attended for two years but due to something of a breakdown I was forced to drop out. I've spent the last year working and trying to figure out what I want to do from here. I've decided that I need to go back and right my wrongs.

In order to do this, I need a few questions answered (if these questions are answered elsewhere then I apologise).

- I studied for two years. If I can provide the first year of funding in a three year course (which I can), can I still claim the remaining two years of funding to finish the degree?
    -How should I go about applying for university? UCAS? Or is there a different approach for "mature" students?
    -I remember needing references when I was applying. Who can I ask to be my reference this time around if I still need them?
    -How much of my prior run at university am I required to / should I talk about in my application?
    -Is there anything else you can think of that I should know about?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar boat to you, although I applied to uni whilst i was at college doing an access course, so i had my tutor as my academic reference.

Yes, you will receive funding for the second two years, you'll also receive a maintenence loan for first year should you apply for one, just won't get the £9k to pay the tuition fees

.You will still need to apply through UCAS, as for a reference I don't know, maybe try and see if one of your old teachers will give you one? As it really needs to be an academic reference.

Very little - you'll be able to (and have to) enter it in the "previous qualifications" section, even if you didn't gain a qualification - all I put was something like "I dropped out of university due to personal issues", but I'm not sure you even need to put that in the personal statement.

Your personal statement will hold quite a lot of weight as a mature student, so make sure you spend a fair amount of time on it, avoid cliches and all that, but you probably know the process.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cauge)
    Hi guys.

I hope this isn't in the wrong forum.

I'm twenty one years old and I want to go back to university. I attended for two years but due to something of a breakdown I was forced to drop out. I've spent the last year working and trying to figure out what I want to do from here. I've decided that I need to go back and right my wrongs.

In order to do this, I need a few questions answered (if these questions are answered elsewhere then I apologise).

- I studied for two years. If I can provide the first year of funding in a three year course (which I can), can I still claim the remaining two years of funding to finish the degree?
    -How should I go about applying for university? UCAS? Or is there a different approach for "mature" students?
    -I remember needing references when I was applying. Who can I ask to be my reference this time around if I still need them?
    -How much of my prior run at university am I required to / should I talk about in my application?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    If you can prove with doctors letters and official letters from your university about your breakdown you may be able to claim the second year back meaning you'd have enough to cover 3 more years studying.

ReputationRep:
    You can claim for 2 more years worth of funding (you are entitled to 4 in total, so as you have done 2 then you can claim for 2 more and pay for 1) I hope that makes sense.

Applying depends on when you want to go, If you want to start now ish then contact the University as some have a few spaces left for clearing, if next intake/year it is best to apply via UCAS.

For references you can ask a previous tutor/an employer/ basically someone who knows you professionally rather than socially.

It's optional whether you mention previous study,If you do though you should explain why then wasn't suitable for you but now is (they probably will ask at interviews anyway)

I hope this helps abit, My brain has turned to mush from homework so trying to answer and help

ReputationRep:
    I was in pretty much the same situation (left after two years with a breakdown, started again from scratch as a mature student). My thoughts:

(Original post by Cauge)
    Yes.

As has been said above, you may be able to claw back a year's entitlement so you can get SF funding for the first year as well, using SF's Compelling Personal Reasons process. If you sought medical help, your GP/counsellor/consultant etc can write a supporting letter, outlining your symptoms and explaining how they made it impossible to continue with your former course. Unfortunately you do need this kind of support from an independent professional. If you just found your way through the situation without help, the CPR route probably usn't open to you.

UCAS, as before. Use your original online login ID and password.

Is there anyone from your last uni who knew about your problems and was sympathetic? It would be fine for a referee to mention why you left and to confirm that you were a good student before being overtaken by health problems.

Failing that, contact the Admissions Offices for your preferred unis, explain the situation and ask what alternatives they would accept. Many mature applicants find themselves in a similar situation, so the unis will be accustomed to dealing with it.

I dealt with mine in about three sentences. I went there. I had this problem. The problem's sorted and I'm ready & keen to study again. There's no need to make a big deal of it - you're by no means the only person to whom this has ever happened. You aren't required to talk about it, but if there's a chance that your referees will, then it's probably best just to mention it in passing.

Entry requirements aren't necessarily the same for mature students as they are for school leavers. I can't imagine that you'll have an issue as a 21 year old, but it might be best to ask each of your chosen unis in advance of applying.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.