Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am applying to Oxford as a year 13 student to study mathematics and philosophy. Only two teachers in the school I'm at have the ability to help me and, Sod's Law, they're the two most busy teachers. I was wondering if anybody had any advice/help/recommendations they could give to me, be it books, tactics, how to approach questions or anything like that.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at past papers?
    https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-her...dmissions-test

That would be the best way to start.
    They give you the answers so technically you don't need a teacher to assist. Identify your knowledge gaps and research accordingly, particular if you are struggling with a specific aspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaigaStudies)
    Hello

I am applying to Oxford as a year 13 student to study mathematics and philosophy. Only two teachers in the school I'm at have the ability to help me and, Sod's Law, they're the two most busy teachers. I was wondering if anybody had any advice/help/recommendations they could give to me, be it books, tactics, how to approach questions or anything like that.

Thanks
    I realise it costs .. (I'm also an MEI tutor) but have you seen:

http://www.mei.org.uk/oxford ?

MEI runs the Further Maths Support Programme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaigaStudies)
    Hello

Thanks
    The best thing you can do is past papers, while learning C1 and C2 inside out, to the point where you not only know how to do stuff, but understand why it is done the way it is. If you're good enough, you won't need extra help, at my 6th form they more or less ignored the people applying for the MAT, so my advice should apply quite well to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willfourie)
    The best thing you can do is past papers, while learning C1 and C2 inside out, to the point where you not only know how to do stuff, but understand why it is done the way it is. If you're good enough, you won't need extra help, at my 6th form they more or less ignored the people applying for the MAT, so my advice should apply quite well to you
    Old thread. OP will already have applied.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.