Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hello everyone,

    (If I've posted this in the wrong place or may benefit more from posting it elsewhere, please say so).

    I know this website is primarily (or solely) for UK students, however I'm currently a final year Law Student (LLB) at Leeds University. I'm hoping that if I get a 2:1 then I will get a scholarship to do a Masters in Law (LLM).

    What I'm wanting to do is become an Architect. I know it sounds pretty bizarre, but I'm passionate and enthusiastic about both subjects. However, I want to do this at the University of Washington (WA, USA). They have two courses available:

    - Architecture (BA)
    - Architectural Design (BA)

    Both of them are four years and given the descriptions of the courses, I can't really distinguish a great deal between the two. I tried searching for the differences but didn't get much further than the first simply being qualified, whilst the latter just unqualified (or unregistered). I know the USA is different to the UK, but can anyone provide me with some guidance here?

    Additionally, there's no financial support for international students and I think I might end up aspiring to be a permanent USA resident prior to applying, thus (I think) being eligible for financial aid (bursaries, grants, scholarships, company reimbursement, etc.) However, does anyone know of any useful institutions that be of benefit to me? I really want to minimise the amount of debt, especially given that I'm probably coming out of my current degree with approximately £42,000 debt (tuition fees and maintenance loans combined).

    Lastly, I'm not confident about the education system and qualifications used in the US, so how can I make sure that I'm eligible in the first place and meet requirements in terms of matching them against my current qualifications and skills? I know that, here, most Universities require A-Levels in Maths and Physics, and sometimes Art & Design (or provide a foundation year in Art & Design).

    N.B: I'm aware that I could potentially evade repaying my student debt in the UK by moving abroad but I think that would only work if I never intended on returning to the UK, at all (i.e. not even return to see my family or for holidays).

    If anyone could answer any of these questions of provide me with any sort of guidance, assistance, support or help then I'd be really appreciative.


    Kind Regards,

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2015

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.