Chemistry: A*
    Biology: A*
    English language: A
    English literature: A
    Geography: A
    History: A
    Religious studies: A
    German: B
    I'm wondering whether these grades will count against me when If I apply to Cambridge to do engineering.
    I have also already completed my Maths AS with an A grade, currently I am studying Maths A2 and further maths, physics and chemistry AS. I'm also wondering whether doing my Maths A level a year early so I have the completed A-Level when I apply will help at all?

ReputationRep:
    1) taking an a level earlier has no positive impact on your application
    2) the grades you get at A2 will be the most important, then AS then GCSE
    3) cambridge do sometimes have to look at GCSEs, purely because theres no other set way to rank applicants (As applicants often apply with grades which exceed A*AA)

your grades at GCSE shouldnt be a "disadvantage" provided your AS and A2 results are good
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    GCSEs are NOT used much for admissions to Engineering. Much more important are your AS/A2 choices and performance - which looks fine.

If you are on track for A*A*A at A2 then you should get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    GCSEs are NOT used much for admissions to Engineering. Much more important are your AS/A2 choices and performance - which looks fine.

If you are on track for A*A*A at A2 then you should get an interview.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelefi)
    1) taking an a level earlier has no positive impact on your application
    2) the grades you get at A2 will be the most important, then AS then GCSE
    3) cambridge do sometimes have to look at GCSEs, purely because theres no other set way to rank applicants (As applicants often apply with grades which exceed A*AA)

your grades at GCSE shouldnt be a "disadvantage" provided your AS and A2 results are good
    Thanks
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by kelefi)

Just to be clear GCSEs are not used for ranking. In fact, "poor" GCSEs followed by "good" AS can be helpful as it shows an improving academic trajectory.

GCSEs are really only used as part of the overall context of the application. e.g. Goodish GCSEs from a "poor" school is also a good thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.