Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi people of student room,

I feel really depressed and down atm because of the news I was given today by my exam officer at school. It began when I got my Gcse results in August, I really want to go into a science field for university but I cant pay 27 grand for going to an average university, but anyway thats not the original point of this post.

I worked super hard from mid february and became a massive loner due to revision, I study independently. I revised all of the content for additional biology about 4 times over and did around 3-4 past papers - marking myself harshly each time and achieving an a* each time looking at each years grade boundaries (I highlight biology because that is what I now study at A Level). I worked my ****ing ass off! It took away my life and I did everything I could to achieve my new years goal to get an A* in core and additonal science. My parents thought I was sick and where worried for my health (my school is 9-5).

So the time came. It was results day and I felt that the exams where easy, I knew everything anyone could throw at me for additonal biology especially. Then I hit a massive low, I had received a Grade B.

I was shocked and confused, I questioned where they even my results? I was so sad and then found online that it was possible with pearson (The exam board was edexcel) to receive a copy of your paper back if you pay a small fee, I felt happy again knowing I could prove my results, I was so embarrassed of myself for all the effort I put in yet people had hardly revised at all and obtained grade Bs.

So on the second day of sixth form I asked my exams officer for the request, she said she would 'look into it for me' and then I heard nothing for a week. I asked for an update the following week and she said she has 'sent an email', I had told her the information was on post results services on google for pearson. Then today, she happened to see me in the corridoor and said 'I couldn't get your paper back as you can only get them back for teacher resources'. I just accepted it and felt hopeless.

What was the point in all my hard work, so many questions are now in my head and everything feels hopeless. Why is it that students cannot view their own marked papers? What options do I have now when obviously my result is probably rigged? Is the education system legitimate? What if I work hard again at A Levels only for the same to happen?

I am so pissed off and down, my parents arent bothered how I do at school, no one in my school cares about me explaining myself, I feel trapped and everything is pointless, what is the point only for grades to be rigged or wrongly marked, was I completely deluded some how?

If anyone could give me some guidance or advice on what to do now I would appreciate it so much.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    a) don't put yourself down about the £27k thing - you don't really pay for it, it's not "real money"

b) sorry i know this isn't what you want to hear but just my honest opinion - the only way to really do science subjects is to do paper after paper after paper, doing just 3 or 4 is nowhere near enough to learn the mark schemes (one of the downfalls of the education system, you have to play the game) this is especially true for biology... you can give a perfectly sound biological answer that isn't wrong... but if that one key word isn't written you wouldn't get any marks. So for A level make sure you do ALL of them including the book questions and further questions either from other boards or external resources, do them ALL again, and then bloody do them ALL again, until you know the answers without even reading the questions.

c) you can't get scripts back for GCSE but you can for A level so if you really do feel cheated and that the system is rigged - there are methods in place to stop you believing that at A level

Sorry that you feel down, you achieved a B which is still a good grade in many peoples eyes though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilrhino)
    Hi people of student room,

I feel really depressed and down atm because of the news I was given today by my exam officer at school. It began when I got my Gcse results in August, I really want to go into a science field for university but I cant pay 27 grand for going to an average university, but anyway thats not the original point of this post.

I worked super hard from mid february and became a massive loner due to revision, I study independently. I revised all of the content for additional biology about 4 times over and did around 3-4 past papers - marking myself harshly each time and achieving an a* each time looking at each years grade boundaries (I highlight biology because that is what I now study at A Level). I worked my ****ing ass off! It took away my life and I did everything I could to achieve my new years goal to get an A* in core and additonal science. My parents thought I was sick and where worried for my health (my school is 9-5).

So the time came. It was results day and I felt that the exams where easy, I knew everything anyone could throw at me for additonal biology especially. Then I hit a massive low, I had received a Grade B.

I was shocked and confused, I questioned where they even my results? I was so sad and then found online that it was possible with pearson (The exam board was edexcel) to receive a copy of your paper back if you pay a small fee, I felt happy again knowing I could prove my results, I was so embarrassed of myself for all the effort I put in yet people had hardly revised at all and obtained grade Bs.

So on the second day of sixth form I asked my exams officer for the request, she said she would 'look into it for me' and then I heard nothing for a week. I asked for an update the following week and she said she has 'sent an email', I had told her the information was on post results services on google for pearson. Then today, she happened to see me in the corridoor and said 'I couldn't get your paper back as you can only get them back for teacher resources'. I just accepted it and felt hopeless.

What was the point in all my hard work, so many questions are now in my head and everything feels hopeless. Why is it that students cannot view their own marked papers? What options do I have now when obviously my result is probably rigged? Is the education system legitimate? What if I work hard again at A Levels only for the same to happen?

I am so pissed off and down, my parents arent bothered how I do at school, no one in my school cares about me explaining myself, I feel trapped and everything is pointless, what is the point only for grades to be rigged or wrongly marked, was I completely deluded some how?

If anyone could give me some guidance or advice on what to do now I would appreciate it so much.
    Thanks.
    Firstly you need to get rid of this absurd notion that your GCSE results were "rigged". They weren't.
    There are sometimes problems with marking or the recording of the marks.
    If you feel strongly that your result is wrong, then you request a clerical check or a remark.
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...xcel-gcse.html
    It has to be done by the end of this week or not at all.

For your A levels, you need to ensure your answers meet the requirements of the mark scheme. For science in general and biology in particular if you don't use vocabulary in the way the examiners want or if your answers lack the specific detail they are looking for you will lose marks. There are no half marks for half right. I've lost count of the number of time I've heard family member and friends say "well that's what I meant" when they compare their answers to those in the mark schemes.

At A level it is possible to request a copy of a marked paper before you decide on the expense of a remark. This service is not available at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh this is what happened with me with bio a level, i worked harder than anyone in my class, since the first day of school, did well in my mocks etc.
    and i used good revision methods too, plenty of diagrams, used YT videos not just the text book, and understanding, i would review it by making questions out of the content and draw it out on whiteboards as though i was teaching myself, even did well on the past papers close to exams

but then i came across a quote relatively recently in a study book and it was that, it went something along the lines of, the key to learning is not that you get it right, but that you can't get it wrong

and thinking about it this is what i didn't make sure to check up on, definitely something i'll be changing this year

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks for that info on a levels, i has given me some confidence to try again. What is the difference between a clerical check and remark though? Thanks.

(Original post by gdunne42)
    Firstly you need to get rid of this absurd notion that your GCSE results were "rigged". They weren't.
    There are sometimes problems with marking or the recording of the marks.
    If you feel strongly that your result is wrong, then you request a clerical check or a remark.
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...xcel-gcse.html
    It has to be done by the end of this week or not at all.

For your A levels, you need to ensure your answers meet the requirements of the mark scheme. For science in general and biology in particular if you don't use vocabulary in the way the examiners want or if your answers lack the specific detail they are looking for you will lose marks. There are no half marks for half right. I've lost count of the number of time I've heard family member and friends say "well that's what I meant" when they compare their answers to those in the mark schemes.

At A level it is possible to request a copy of a marked paper before you decide on the expense of a remark. This service is not available at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by devilrhino)
    Oh thanks for that info on a levels, i has given me some confidence to try again. What is the difference between a clerical check and remark though? Thanks.
    A clerical check is where they see if everything was added up correctly. They will just have a look at what marks you received for each question to see that you did get a mark for each question (and none were missed), and that these were then added correctly to get your grade. They use the existing marks, and just check they're all there.

A remark is where they go through each question again and mark it again.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.