Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

pc hell watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    more tripe:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3788527.stm

An advert for women's underwear has been criticised after it was put up on billboards near two mosques.
    The poster, for Wiltshire-based company Sloggi, shows four women wearing only G-strings and high heels, alongside the slogan "It's string time".

But complaints were made after the image was put up next to mosques in Leeds and Bury, Greater Manchester.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) received two complaints but ruled it was not meant to cause offence.

The ASA said the "nakedness shown in the poster" could offend Muslims if placed near a mosque or a place of worship

ReputationRep:
    I agree - this story is ridiculous. Wherever they put these posters they'll be seen by people of all faiths. Maybe the answer is to ban muslims from certain streets then plaster the walls with adverts containing semi-naked models.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have to disagree I think that there are lots of places where the poster could have been placed and putting it next to a mosque is being unneccissary. I mean it is like putting an advert for condoms next to a catholic church it is bound to cause offence. So why not just put it somewhere else where it doesn't upset people. I mean it is isn't provocative but its positioning does upset people so I agree that it should be relocated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I have to disagree I think that there are lots of places where the poster could have been placed and putting it next to a mosque is being unneccissary. I mean it is like putting an advert for condoms next to a catholic church it is bound to cause offence. So why not just put it somewhere else where it doesn't upset people. I mean it is isn't provocative but its positioning does upset people so I agree that it should be relocated.
    There are always going to be some people who don't like a specific advert but this doesn't mean we should hide them so they can't be seen. How about putting an advert for beef near a vegatarians house? You need to draw a line somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    There are always going to be some people who don't like a specific advert but this doesn't mean we should hide them so they can't be seen. How about putting an advert for beef near a vegatarians house? You need to draw a line somewhere.
    there is a difference between a persons house and a place of worship. A mosque is the centre of the Islamic religious community therefore lots of people who go to the mosque and see the poster are likely to be offended. I mean there would be outrage if durex advitised next to a catholic church and rightly so. Most people would understand why they would be annoyed and I dont think this is any different.

ReputationRep:
    its the same with an advert for galaxy ice cream...it said eeny meeny mieny mo (or whatever it is) and anti-racist groups got it banned because of the old racist saying (which ends "catch a n****r by his toe")

people read to much into these things, people have to accept this is a multi-faith/cultural society, you cant please everybody.

ReputationRep:
    normally i would jump on pc crap and take the piss but in this case I think it isn't anything to do with pc and it's not a stupid move.

It was bound to offend people if you stick that very nice poster with those delightful young ladies outside a mosque or any place of worship. Those girls are just too damn sexy for any place of worship and it's got nothing to do with being pc.

vienna for once you're wrong.

what about police stopping people from flying England flags because some councils think they could cause racial tension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    there is a difference between a persons house and a place of worship. A mosque is the centre of the Islamic religious community therefore lots of people who go to the mosque and see the poster are likely to be offended. I mean there would be outrage if durex advitised next to a catholic church and rightly so. Most people would understand why they would be annoyed and I dont think this is any different.
    So no beef near hindus, no nudity near muslims, no alcohol near buddhists, no condoms near catholics etc? It's unrealistic to expect every poster to be checked so that it won't offend anyone in it's vicinity. There are always loads of posters outside places of worship trying to preach their message, but non-believers don't spend their time complaining about them, they just ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    its not like its inside the mosque for crying out loud

ReputationRep:
    It's not as if they don't have the right to avert their eyes. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The ad wasn't removed by the ASA, it was removed by the company after they realised it was upsetting people.

People have the right to complain about ads, whether their complaint is justified is up to the ASA, and the ASA has not adjudicated on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    more tripe:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3788527.stm

An advert for women's underwear has been criticised after it was put up on billboards near two mosques.
    The poster, for Wiltshire-based company Sloggi, shows four women wearing only G-strings and high heels, alongside the slogan "It's string time".

But complaints were made after the image was put up next to mosques in Leeds and Bury, Greater Manchester.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) received two complaints but ruled it was not meant to cause offence.

The ASA said the "nakedness shown in the poster" could offend Muslims if placed near a mosque or a place of worship
    How is this anything to do with Political Correctness?

ReputationRep:
    indeed, the company removed it after "pressure" from the ASA. i appreciate that they could have been more thoughtful, not least to their prospective target audience, but the ASA has two judgements to make, its inappropriate or appropriate. the political correctness arises in the baseless appeasement of the Muslim community irrespective of whether it was a forced, or merely supported, decision.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.