Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi i've just started in Year 12 and I was wondering how much time i'd have to dedicate per week to these subjects considering my grades in them at GCSE
    English lit/lang
    History
    Chemistry
    Biology

At gcse I got an A* in history, an A in english lit and a B in lang and a B in chemistry and Biology. I worked fairly hard for those grades but not so much for english

ReputationRep:
    I am a year 13 student and I study both biology and chemistry so can advise on them... can't say much about English or history though.

I think that once you get into the year you will know what needs more work. There is no magic formula, and a subject that one person needs to do loads of work for may come much easier for someone else. It is best to dedicate enough time so you keep on top of homework and make your you understand everything you are being taught. If you don't understand it you must ask for help or do extra research because otherwise it will be a month before the exams and you'll be stressing about 101 things you don't understand.

It is extremely important that you organise your work well. Last year I wrote everything up the day after the lesson but this year I am typing it all up. I feel that if I didn't write it up I didn't remember it well. I remember being told by a teacher if you revisit things a day later and then a month later then you remember it better.

Also, make use of the people around you. If they need help on a topic you understand then help them (teaching is great revision) and if you need help then ask!

Sorry if this is a bit of an essay... But I think a lot of people start year 13 thinking 'I wish I knew this last year', 'I wish I did this last year'. Sometimes due to bad results but sometimes due to a lack of understanding at AS affecting A2.

Good luck with it all. Do you know what you plan to do at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzie97)
    I am a year 13 student and I study both biology and chemistry so can advise on them... can't say much about English or history though.

I think that once you get into the year you will know what needs more work. There is no magic formula, and a subject that one person needs to do loads of work for may come much easier for someone else. It is best to dedicate enough time so you keep on top of homework and make your you understand everything you are being taught. If you don't understand it you must ask for help or do extra research because otherwise it will be a month before the exams and you'll be stressing about 101 things you don't understand.

It is extremely important that you organise your work well. Last year I wrote everything up the day after the lesson but this year I am typing it all up. I feel that if I didn't write it up I didn't remember it well. I remember being told by a teacher if you revisit things a day later and then a month later then you remember it better.

Also, make use of the people around you. If they need help on a topic you understand then help them (teaching is great revision) and if you need help then ask!

Sorry if this is a bit of an essay... But I think a lot of people start year 13 thinking 'I wish I knew this last year', 'I wish I did this last year'. Sometimes due to bad results but sometimes due to a lack of understanding at AS affecting A2.

Good luck with it all. Do you know what you plan to do at university?
    Thanks a lot. No, I'm unsure of what i'll do at uni. What subjects did you do at a level? Did you drop any after year 12?

ReputationRep:
    In my college it's usually recommended ~5 hours p/w additional study alongside the class study.

Obviously that's very unrealistic right now, so I should say you'd need to aim about 2/3 hours revision p/w p/subject at this point in time. I haven't done History or English Lit, but I can assure you that Essay subjects will need a lot of effort put into them so make sure you start attempting to learn essay techniques now and improve them throughout the year

This is very dependent on an individual though. You might find 1 hr p/w of extra study p/subject is adequate, in which case that's fine

ReputationRep:
    I started with biology, chemistry, maths and french but swapped french for economics a few weeks in. Dropped economics at the beginning of this year.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.