Turn on thread page Beta

Why Do Humans Work So Hard? watch

ReputationRep:
    Look at pigeons. They just piss around all day.
    Yet humans with such great intellect decide to do all this 'work' and stuff. Why bother?

Surely we could just buy some plant seeds and water the things occasionally for food and ...
    Actually that's about all we need to do.

ReputationRep:
    How else are we going to support the economy in order to run TSR and the various resources (mods, lawyers, web hosts) it relies on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well you'll notice that humans are easily bored, work allows us to make things to give us things to do.

There's probably a more scientific version of this explanation that accounts for why pigeons are lazy arsewipes and we aren't, but regardless that's basically why.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but we get more rewards for our hard work as a human race than pigeons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As humans I think we've made it harder for ourselves to live as simply as a pigeon by filling ourselves with knowledge and obviously we evolved to be much more intelligent so we needed a more intellectually stimulating lifestyle hence we started off creating economies and social standings and jobs and things to do for ourselves that benefit our lives. I guess.

Because we're dimwits

She says as she goes back to notes for biology test tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Humans want to get somewhere in life and they want to be able to pay for food, houses. If you want to plant seeds and stuff then you need to buy seeds and in order to do that you need money, which means school or getting a job etc.

ReputationRep:
    The sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that you get from hard work

Otherwise time would just drag on and you'd get a bit bored after a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquity)
    As humans I think we've made it harder for ourselves to live as simply as a pigeon by filling ourselves with knowledge and obviously we evolved to be much more intelligent so we needed a more intellectually stimulating lifestyle hence we started off creating economies and social standings and jobs and things to do for ourselves that benefit our lives. I guess.
    Yeah, these stock market crashes, economic recessions, and classist societies are doing wonders for us :teehee:
    I think we like making things difficult for ourselves to prove that we're better than other animals, but the reality is we're barely out of the jungle. We do have an edge over the animal kingdom though; haven't seen any fish editing pages on Wikipedia lately.

(Original post by Proxenus)
    Yes but we get more rewards for our hard work as a human race than pigeons.
    Dependent on not only what job you do, but also the individual. A pigeon probably gets immense satisfaction from ****ting on a statue from 50ft up in the air. I know I would. It'd be better than sinking a 3 pointer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Yeah, these stock market crashes, economic recessions, and classist societies are doing wonders for us :teehee:
    I think we like making things difficult for ourselves to prove that we're better than other animals, but the reality is we're barely out of the jungle. We do have an edge over the animal kingdom though; haven't seen any fish editing pages on Wikipedia lately.

Dependent on not only what job you do, but also the individual. A pigeon probably gets immense satisfaction from ****ting on a statue from 50ft up in the air. I know I would. It'd be better than sinking a 3 pointer.
    I wasn't saying that creating economies and social standings was very good for us but I mean we worked out that we could grow food for ourselves as like an own personal supply, that's the kind of thing I was talking about, stuff that we do to benefit ourselves that the "lowly" animals can't do. Yeah humans are definitely obsessed with proving that they're better than animals but I totally agree, if you stripped everything we've created for ourselves back we'd be the exact same.

ReputationRep:
    Because employment keeps the population in line.

Only about a third of humans on this earth actually contribute to providing our needs or technological development. Everybody else needs something to do.

ReputationRep:
    Because we're idiots

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Believe me, ants and bees work much harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booksandcats)
    Humans want to get somewhere in life and they want to be able to pay for food, houses. If you want to plant seeds and stuff then you need to buy seeds and in order to do that you need money, which means school or getting a job etc.
    You can do it all for free, provided you can go around and collect seeds from existing plants as your first batch.
    Thereafter, just let the plants get on with bringing up their future generations; you can also collect seeds from your plants if you want greater control for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    Pigeons don't need to pay bills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booksandcats)
    Yeah but you do realise that if it weren't for concentrated land ownership we could just build houses out of random crap we find and have space to grow our own food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Yeah but you do realise that if it weren't for concentrated land ownership we could just build houses out of random crap we find and have space to grow our own food
    1. Crops fail
    2.Food storage issues
    3. Illness
    4.Protection from those who want to steal our food.
    5. Old age
    6. Poor diet from restricted food crops where we live. (e.g.Citrus fruit tricky in UK)

In effect most of the reasons why mankind has changed how it lives on Earth.

ReputationRep:
    truth is we need to leave this planet and colonize another or will end up like dinosaurs. Our greatest minds have figured this out.

So humans working hard is a great trait. However the perils of capitalism may make it seem more like a prison than some sort of liberation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    1. Crops fail
    2.Food storage issues
    3. Illness
    4.Protection from those who want to steal our food.
    5. Old age
    6. Poor diet from restricted food crops where we live. (e.g.Citrus fruit tricky in UK)

In effect most of the reasons why mankind has changed how it lives on Earth.
    Yes, I do agree. But we can manage that with common land ownership too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Pigeons don't need to pay bills.
    Humans don't have to either.
    Though I admit that sitting on someone else's roof to keep warm might be a little odd.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.