Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone else get told this? People often tell me that they thought I was shy at first but I'm more engaging once get to know them.

It's not that I'm 'shy' per se, more that I don't know them well so I'm still figuring out how o interact with them; if I had something to say I'd say it but often I don't.

Sometimes I can be shy and afraid to speak my mind, but I don't think it's my main personality and I'm confident when I do speak so why do people end up thinking I'm shy in the sense that I'm anxious or afraid to speak up?

ReputationRep:
    Story of my life! But it doesn't bother me anymore!
    Before, I used to dwell on the fact that I wasn't saying anything in a group situation and then I'd become even more conscious about not saying anything... Now smh, if I have something to say then I say it, if I don't I don't.
    People will always have an opinion about you based on first impressions, if it takes you a while to get comfortable to say something (like me) then you are bound to be thought of as quiet/shy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone else get told this? People often tell me that they thought I was shy at first but I'm more engaging once get to know them.

It's not that I'm 'shy' per se, more that I don't know them well so I'm still figuring out how o interact with them; if I had something to say I'd say it but often I don't.

Sometimes I can be shy and afraid to speak my mind, but I don't think it's my main personality and I'm confident when I do speak so why do people end up thinking I'm shy in the sense that I'm anxious or afraid to speak up?

Same here, it's hard not knowing what to say to people. Being quiet is hard because we don't want to be loud and raise awareness, so sometimes we don't speak than being loud

ReputationRep:
    'Scuse but I'd rather say I'm shy than genuinely a quiet person. A shy person just needs to warm up and they can be the loudest, funnest, coolest, whateverest person ever in the end. A quiet person is just...

ReputationRep:
    I always get this. I'm not particularly quiet either but often just have nothing to add to the conversation, so don't. I feel like a lot of people just talk for the sake of filling an "awkward silence".

ReputationRep:

Because all anxious people who are afraid to speak up are quiet. It's a lame stereotype that's applied sometimes to quiet people but hopefully will die out . . . one day. Well, that seems realistic, lol

The problem honestly lies with them and not you. You sound completely normal. Problem is we live in a society that privileges out-spoken and loud extraverted individuals who are ruthless and determined to take charge. (Well, not every loud person is determined to take charge, but it does seem like it to a more quieter individual.) And everybody else is labelled a freak or somebody who has issues.

Obviously not everybody does think like this but it's so much easier to explain things by blaming it on somebody else and claiming they have issues than actually admitting there's an err in judgement.

On a side note, some quiet people think loud people are funny weirdos and some loud people think quiet people are funny weirdos too.

Don't dwell on it too much. It's just another cog for silly pretentious humans to worry their silly little brains over; meaning, this question is asked way too often.
    And so life moves on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, coz people think shy = quiet.
    Even though that's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm like this. But most people don't recognise the difference between shy and quiet. Just be yourself and you'll manage.

ReputationRep:
    I study Psycology so let me inform

Me too People's first impressions of me are that i'm shy. The thing is i'm not...I just prefer to keep quiet at first and decide if I want to speak to that person. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but thats exactly what I do with people. Might sound harsh, but i'm not exactly a people person. I don't need to befriend everyone to make me feel happy. I just interact with people I think are nice (once i've made my judgements on them of course!).

I make very few friendships, but in comparison to people who speak to everyone/befriend everyone, they are lasting. When I like the person i'm far more comfortable in speaking to them. I give them a glimpse of the true me - the person that's loud, funny, and confident. According to my friends my personality is infectious and they love to be around me

When somebody asks I just say "i'm quiet at first until you get to know the true me" or "I was quiet because I was figuring out if I liked you or not". People are generally intrigued to hear that I find...they think uuum this person is actually quite smart haha!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.