The Fascist Manifesto, Benito Mussolini: what does this remind you of?

Watch
TheCitizenAct
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The charge of 'fasicsm' is often directed at the right-wing; in fact, despite originating on the left-wing (progressives of the 1930's universally regarded fascism as a progressive movement - H.G. Wells referred to it as 'liberal fascism'), the charge is almost sacrosanct. Yet, it doesn't even come close to meeting any careful scrutiny - in fact, it's quite the opposite.

Take a look at the Fascist Manifesto, as advocated by Benito Mussolini, and tell me what this reminds you of:
Politically, the Manifesto calls for:
  • Universal suffrage with a lowered voting age to 18 years, and voting and electoral office eligibility for all age 25 and up (which parties advocate in favour of lowering the voting age? All left-wing parties).
  • Proportional representation on a regional basis (something the Green Party and the Lib Dems have been calling for consistently, much like the SNP and more recently UKIP).
  • Voting for women (which was opposed by most other European nations);
  • Representation at government level of newly created national councils by economic sector;
  • The abolition of the Italian Senate (at the time, the Senate, as the upper house of parliament, was by process elected by the wealthier citizens, but were in reality direct appointments by the king. It has been described as a sort of extended council of the crown) (which parties are calling for the abolition of the HoL and the monarchy?)
  • The formation of a national council of experts for labor, for industry, for transportation, for the public health, for communications, etc. Selections to be made of professionals or of tradesmen with legislative powers, and elected directly to a general commission with ministerial powers (hmmmm, expansion of the state apparatus?).
In labor and social policy, the Manifesto calls for:
  • The quick enactment of a law of the state that sanctions an eight-hour workday for all workers;
  • A minimum wage (hmmmm).
  • The participation of workers' representatives in the functions of industry commissions;
  • To show the same confidence in the labor unions (that prove to be technically and morally worthy) as is given to industry executives or public servants; (did someone say unions?).
  • Reorganization of the railways and the transport sector; (Hi, Mr Corbyn).
  • Revision of the draft law on invalidity insurance;
  • Reduction of the retirement age from 65 to 55. (Hi, Mr Tsipras).
In military affairs, the Manifesto advocates:
  • Creation of a short-service national militia with specifically defensive responsibilities;
  • Armaments factories are to be nationalized;
  • A peaceful but competitive foreign policy.
In finance, the Manifesto advocates:
  • A strong progressive tax on capital (envisaging a “partial expropriation” of concentrated wealth); (did someone just say 'progressive'?)
  • The seizure of all the possessions of the religious congregations and the abolition of all the bishoprics, which constitute an enormous liability on the Nation and on the privileges of the poor; (oh, wait, someone hates religion? I believe Mr Corbyn refused to sing God save the Queen today).
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
KimKallstrom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're conpletely nuts but I had to rep you for the Bjork song. Can't stay mad at you when you bring out the BIG choons
ridwan12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheCitizenAct)
The charge of 'fasicsm' is often directed at the right-wing; in fact, despite originating on the left-wing (progressives of the 1930's universally regarded fascism as a progressive movement - H.G. Wells referred to it as 'liberal fascism', the charge is almost sacrosanct. Yet, it doesn't even come close to meeting any careful scrutiny - in fact, it's quite the opposite.

Take a look at the Fascist Manifesto, as advocated by Benito Mussolini, and tell me what this reminds you of:
Politically, the Manifesto calls for:
  • Universal suffrage with a lowered voting age to 18 years, and voting and electoral office eligibility for all age 25 and up (which parties advocate in favour of lowering the voting age? All left-wing parties).
  • Proportional representation on a regional basis (something the Green Party and the Lib Dems have been calling for consistently, much like the SNP and more recently UKIP).
  • Voting for women (which was opposed by most other European nations);
  • Representation at government level of newly created national councils by economic sector;
  • The abolition of the Italian Senate (at the time, the Senate, as the upper house of parliament, was by process elected by the wealthier citizens, but were in reality direct appointments by the king. It has been described as a sort of extended council of the crown) (which parties are calling for the abolition of the HoL and the monarchy?)
  • The formation of a national council of experts for labor, for industry, for transportation, for the public health, for communications, etc. Selections to be made of professionals or of tradesmen with legislative powers, and elected directly to a general commission with ministerial powers (hmmmm, expansion of the state apparatus?).
In labor and social policy, the Manifesto calls for:
  • The quick enactment of a law of the state that sanctions an eight-hour workday for all workers;
  • A minimum wage (hmmmm).
  • The participation of workers' representatives in the functions of industry commissions;
  • To show the same confidence in the labor unions (that prove to be technically and morally worthy) as is given to industry executives or public servants; (did someone say unions?).
  • Reorganization of the railways and the transport sector; (Hi, Mr Corbyn).
  • Revision of the draft law on invalidity insurance;
  • Reduction of the retirement age from 65 to 55. (Hi, Mr Tsipras).
In military affairs, the Manifesto advocates:
  • Creation of a short-service national militia with specifically defensive responsibilities;
  • Armaments factories are to be nationalized;
  • A peaceful but competitive foreign policy.
In finance, the Manifesto advocates:
  • A strong progressive tax on capital (envisaging a “partial expropriation” of concentrated wealth); (did someone just say 'progressive'?)
  • The seizure of all the possessions of the religious congregations and the abolition of all the bishoprics, which constitute an enormous liability on the Nation and on the privileges of the poor; (oh, wait, someone hates religion? I believe Mr Corbyn refused to sing God save the Queen today).

What are you getting at?
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
(Original post by ridwan12)
What are you getting at?
Are you lost?
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
Bump.
Star-girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
*rolls eyes so far backwards that they disappear into my head*
arcenciel21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
log out please
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
(Original post by arcenciel21)
log out please
Engage rational thought, please.

(Original post by Star-girl)
*rolls eyes so far backwards that they disappear into my head*
It's not right-wing. If anything, as the above illustrates, fascism is left-wing. It certainly isn't exclusively right-wing, so why has The Oxford Dictionary spent decades deceiving the British public? Anyone would think it was a conspiracy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads