The Student Room Group

Which A2 Licence Motorbike?

Hey I'm a student with my full A2 bike licence but I don't know what kind of bike to go for. I've been looking a suzuki gsx750f but im unsure and just figured i'd make a post to see what bikes other students have bought and what their opinions are. Thanks

CT: bigger discussion on finding cheap motorbike insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by owen_mcgren
Hey I'm a student with my full A2 bike licence but I don't know what kind of bike to go for. I've been looking a suzuki gsx750f but im unsure and just figured i'd make a post to see what bikes other students have bought and what their opinions are. Thanks

I'd avoid the gsx personally, it'll need restricting and the revy nature of a inline 4 would be crap if restricted, especially if using a throttle stopper. Personally I'd go for a twin or big single like a 690 smc or duke. The powers down low and they're light enough to still work well when restricted. There's plenty of other bikes too that'd work and they should be cheaper to insure than an i4. Older Cb500s are good little bikes and handle exceptionally well, plus they're pretty cheap, so would be worth considering.
Reply 2
See I was thinking of something along the lines of a tourer as I want/plan to do a journey from Teesside to Bournemouth every once in a while which is like 5 1/3 hours journey one way. The gsxf looked like a good contender as I spotted a used one within my price range but I wanted to see what others had got etc.
The Duke is a nice looking bike but I doubt I could get one for £1000 or less (my budget as will need to tax and insure etc.)
See I was thinking of something along the lines of a tourer as I want/plan to do a journey from Teesside to Bournemouth every once in a while which is like 5 1/3 hours journey one way. The gsxf looked like a good contender as I spotted a used one within my price range but I wanted to see what others had got etc.
The Duke is a nice looking bike but I doubt I could get one for £1000 or less (my budget as will need to tax and insure etc.)

If your main priority is touring and commuting, rather than being sporty then the gsx would probably be fine. I've had a look and the power curve on the fax is actually pretty smooth and torquey for an i4. So it probably wouldn't be bad at all.

You might be able to get a 650gs for cheap though if you did want a twin
Reply 4
Thankyou for the help i will check out the 650gs only one on gumtree i can see at the moment though is £3750
Reply 5
But yeah I'm not looking something to race on I'm just looking something that I can get around on and also be comfortable on when going quite a long distance too.
Reply 6
I had a GPZ500 which I only sold a few weeks ago. Mine was an 02 with 23k miles I picked up for less than £1000. Right on the power limit (they produced 50 new but 10+ years of wear will definetly knock 3bhp off). I dynoed mine it was at 46 so I didnt bother with any artificial restriction. Absolute bulletproof engine, a nice revvy parralel twin. Felt great to chuck into corners.
Original post by CAElite
I had a GPZ500 which I only sold a few weeks ago. Mine was an 02 with 23k miles I picked up for less than £1000. Right on the power limit (they produced 50 new but 10+ years of wear will definetly knock 3bhp off). I dynoed mine it was at 46 so I didnt bother with any artificial restriction. Absolute bulletproof engine, a nice revvy parralel twin. Felt great to chuck into corners.

What does dynoing actually do? As far as I understand it's just a measure, how does it actually increase performance?

Me is got dis mate called dangerous dave who got a "restricted" Yamaha MT-07 but it wasn't really restricted and it was so good and fast dat it actually killed him.
Original post by Hashim123
What does dynoing actually do? As far as I understand it's just a measure, how does it actually increase performance?

Dynoing doesn't increase power. Your thinking of dyno tuning, which is basically playing around with the fuelling and then testing the results on the dyno.
Original post by Prince_fancybum
Dynoing doesn't increase power. Your thinking of dyno tuning, which is basically playing around with the fuelling and then testing the results on the dyno.

That makes sense, think I misread the post I quoted as implying it did increase power.
Original post by Hashim123

It doesnt increase performance unless you tune the engine (change timing/fuel mixture etc etc). I dynoed it to prove that the bike was below the legal limit for an A2 license as technically it was very slightly over the legal limit when it left the factory 15 years prior.
my father had an old suzuki gs500 that didn't need restricting, but before they stopped making they moved the production to china and some of the part qualities were shocking. He also had a gsx600f (2002 i think) that was like an armchair, very easy to speed on, but it is a long bike and you have to remember when filtering. I've had a 400 bandit and sv650. Both good for long journeys, the sv more comfortable as thhe fairing takes some of the wind and the seat has lots of padding (2000 model) i've done up to 500 miles in a day on it before now.

Might be worth looking on here as you can chose restriction needed or not. http://www.a2bikes.co.uk/

I have heard of a few cases where people have crashed on bikes that don't meet license requirements and police/insurance have identified that.
Original post by Bathwiggle
my father had an old suzuki gs500 that didn't need restricting, but before they stopped making they moved the production to china and some of the part qualities were shocking. He also had a gsx600f (2002 i think) that was like an armchair, very easy to speed on, but it is a long bike and you have to remember when filtering. I've had a 400 bandit and sv650. Both good for long journeys, the sv more comfortable as thhe fairing takes some of the wind and the seat has lots of padding (2000 model) i've done up to 500 miles in a day on it before now.

Might be worth looking on here as you can chose restriction needed or not. http://www.a2bikes.co.uk/

I have heard of a few cases where people have crashed on bikes that don't meet license requirements and police/insurance have identified that.

Aye. Its like declaring minor mods to insurance, 99% of the time you will be fine even if you claim as long as you dont go nuts but 1% you will get made example of if they actually bother to check.

I would definetly recommend fitting restrictors though. Especially coming from a car/125cc, Bikes can be QUICK, your average sporty 500 with 50bhp will get you to 60 in 4 seconds and change and will pull a lot quicker than most cars up too 100, so you can imagin an unrestricted 650 with 90bhp will be a little nuts. Once you have spent a year getting used to the bike restrictors have been known to "fall off" but you didnt hear that from me :smile: .
Thought about the SV650S?
Original post by wiseCrack
Me is got dis mate called dangerous dave who got a "restricted" Yamaha MT-07 but it wasn't really restricted and it was so good and fast dat it actually killed him.

I have a full power MT07. It's quick but not mentally quick.
Reply 16
Pick some bikes and see what insurance you can afford as that may blow a chunk of your budget. With only a £1000 your options are limited, a really good tourer type is the BMW 650GS twin but out of your budget. A Suzuki Bandit 600 might fit the bill nicely, add a Givi topbox and you are all set to go.
Original post by J.Ryder
Thought about the SV650S?

they still need restricting. I love my sv, 70000 miles later i still tour on it and haven't replaced it. I've been round scotland for two weeks and europe for longer camping and only using cargo nets to hold everything on.
Original post by Bathwiggle
they still need restricting. I love my sv, 70000 miles later i still tour on it and haven't replaced it. I've been round scotland for two weeks and europe for longer camping and only using cargo nets to hold everything on.

Although they still need restricting it's still an A2 compliant bike and when he wants to go for his full licence he can use it as it's Full A compliant.

70k! That's impressive, what year's yours? I'm looking to buy an 04~ one next year :smile:
Original post by J.Ryder
Although they still need restricting it's still an A2 compliant bike and when he wants to go for his full licence he can use it as it's Full A compliant.

70k! That's impressive, what year's yours? I'm looking to buy an 04~ one next year :smile:

Its a 2000. u've had 3 bikes all done 20k+ but this one isn't worth selling as cosmetically its knackered. But i prefer it comfort wise to the newer pointy version

Quick Reply

Latest