Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've just started my A2s and I want to study pharmacy at uni but I just don't have any work experience at all apart from working in a restaurant which is completely unrelated to pharmacy so I don't know what I can put in my personal statement or even how to start it! Is work experience necessary for pharmacy courses at unis like UCL and KCL? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanwu)
    Hi I've just started my A2s and I want to study pharmacy at uni but I just don't have any work experience at all apart from working in a restaurant which is completely unrelated to pharmacy so I don't know what I can put in my personal statement or even how to start it! Is work experience necessary for pharmacy courses at unis like UCL and KCL? Thanks
    You still have until January to find some work experience. Try both community and hospital pharmacies if you can. Other than that it's to do with working well with people. Really, you can apply anything to pharmacy if you tried hard enough. Though the admissions teams know if you're trying too hard.

Wider reading is a must! Find books that are relevant to pharmacy - sometimes university course pages online have lists of valuable reading material.

Keep up with the pharmacy-related news too. What interests you about it? What are your opinions? Etc...

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Work experience in a pharmacy is not necessary as long as you've actually tried to get some. I don't have any work experience in a pharmacy but got 5 offers (not UCL and KCL). Wider reading is essential. The restaurant is relevant as it shows you have experience in working as a team, independently and caring for customers.

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacy work experience is not needed to land yourself uni interviews to study pharmacy! If you have taken part in any extra curicullum activities or have done any volunteering, then you can write about what skills you have developed and learned e.g. learning to work well as a team, developing communication skills by talking to a variety of people with varying age groups etc.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanwu)
    Hi I think work experience would be useful, I helped my friend with his pharmacy PS and he go in without any/little work experience.
    If you can't get work experience then focus more on talking about your A level subjects and the topics and relate them back to Pharmacy e.g my friend talked about how he found Chirality and optical isomerism interesting (obviously that's useful for making drugs) and he also talked about how his knowledge learnt in Business studies will help him in perhaps maybe running his own pharmacy one day or something like that. You could talk a bit about your Biology.

I know it can be frustrating and difficult getting work experience for Pharmacy/Medicine/Dentistry/Optometry etc.. but even the admissions tutors acknowledge that.
    If you mention that working in the restaurant taught you people skills/communication skills then I'm sure that's equally impressive or even more impressive than someone who just work shadowed a pharmacist.

Feel free to PM me if you need any specific help/advice with the statement.

Ohh and definitely check this out

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nal_Statements

it contains a bank of pharmacy personal statements which would help you when writing yours by giving you ideas.

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to get in touch

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2015

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.