Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey
    i wanna buy a laptop so i can take to school (sixth form) and can use there and also use for my own basis...
    i would like to have a mini laptop and light weight so it would b easier to carry around
    can anyone give me any suggestions on which one i should buy?
    Thanks advance

ReputationRep:
    Depends really.
    All sorts of options, Macbooks, Surface etc.

If you're looking for something light and cheap, possibly an Intel Ultrabook?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why on earth do you want to take a laptop to school when the school has computers hanging around everywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stonehrd4eva)
    why on earth do you want to take a laptop to school when the school has computers hanging around everywhere
    well they said that u can bring ur own laptop to do work straight away and they gave me mine WIFI password too so i can use it.
    many of the computers are busy so i hardly get any chance to use them but if i have my own laptop i can work at home and school too EASY JOB and especially when it comes to coursework kinda stuff so i need one PERSONAL ONE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    Depends really.
    All sorts of options, Macbooks, Surface etc.

If you're looking for something light and cheap, possibly an Intel Ultrabook?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thnx but which ones are best for student use? i am not that good in these kinda stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    thnx but which ones are best for student use? i am not that good in these kinda stuff
    Please give me a budget you're looking at, then I can help you?
    Also do you just want it for school, or gaming and media also?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    Please give me a budget you're looking at, then I can help you?
    Also do you just want it for school, or gaming and media also?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    around 230 pounds
    emmm...... media would b a youtube i think and i am not really in gaming anymore!!!

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo Yoga 2 :yy:

ReputationRep:
    hey
    i wanna buy a laptop so i can take to school (sixth form) and can use there and also use for my own basis...
    i would like to have a mini laptop and light weight so it would b easier to carry around
    can anyone give me any suggestions on which one i should buy?
    Thanks advance
    Hiya,

Most sixth forms should have computers available at the school - I know that at my school, computers were always available. In fact, you weren't even allowed to bring in your own laptop without the IT team first doing a virus scan on it.

Anyway, depends on what you want to do with the laptop.

Also, you might get better advice in the Techno/Computers section of the site - so I'll get the thread moved for you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    Lenovo Yoga 2 :yy:
    is this touch screen too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Hiya,

Most sixth forms should have computers available at the school - I know that at my school, computers were always available. In fact, you weren't even allowed to bring in your own laptop without the IT team first doing a virus scan on it.

Anyway, depends on what you want to do with the laptop.

Also, you might get better advice in the Techno/Computers section of the site - so I'll get the thread moved for you :yep:
    hi
    OK!!! my school is more religious so they spend most of the money on charity thn on equipment stuff.
    so where my thread gonna go now?

ReputationRep:
    is this touch screen too?
    Yeah. 2 in 1 laptop/tablet with 8 hour battery

ReputationRep:
    Just don't buy a Lenovo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marco14196)
    Just don't buy a Lenovo.
    what???
    buy or not a Lenovo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    Yeah. 2 in 1 laptop/tablet with 8 hour battery
    alright!!! is it just like a surface pro 3?

ReputationRep:
    hi
    OK!!! my school is more religious so they spend most of the money on charity than on equipment stuff.
    so where my thread gonna go now?
    Hi there,

Okay, in which case they could still spend money on charity but also they should add in more computers if required?

My advice: unless you need to use the laptop for gaming, then most laptops with a decent processor, RAM and hard drive should be ok.

If you want to use Youtube as well, see if you can get a laptop with decent speakers too.

I've asked for the thread to be moved to the Technology and computers area - if you've got any computer related questions then chances are you'll get better, more in depth help in that section. Don't worry, it'll just mean that more people in the right area will be able to see your thread :yep:

ReputationRep:
    alright!!! is it just like a surface pro 3?
    You're on the right lines - a Surface Pro can be used as a laptop or a tablet. Though their screens are a bit on the small side to be using as a main laptop?

They do have very good battery life though, and should be able to do pretty much what you need.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Okay, in which case they could still spend money on charity but also they should add in more computers if required?

My advice: unless you need to use the laptop for gaming, then most laptops with a decent processor, RAM and hard drive should be ok.

If you want to use Youtube as well, see if you can get a laptop with decent speakers too.

I've asked for the thread to be moved to the Technology and computers area - if you've got any computer related questions then chances are you'll get better, more in depth help in that section. Don't worry, it'll just mean that more people in the right area will be able to see your thread :yep:
    thanks for ur help
    i am considering myself as a kid anymore, i really wanna do best in A levels
    so more to studying side

ReputationRep:
    You're on the right lines - a Surface Pro can be used as a laptop or a tablet. Though their screens are a bit on the small side to be using as a main laptop?

They do have very good battery life though, and should be able to do pretty much what you need.
    WOWWW....
    thanks for ur help
    i am gonna right tht name on my company's list so i can compare at the end which one to buy
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    thanks for ur help
    i am considering myself as a kid anymore, i really wanna do best in A levels
    so more to studying side
    No problem at all

So basically you need a laptop that is suited to studying? Most laptops these days should be able to run Microsoft Office reasonably well, the same goes for Youtube (which you mentioned previously).

You said about a Surface Pro earlier, they would definitely do what you need and be lightweight enough to carry around easily - only thing is that these are more expensive than a basic laptop.

Let me know if you need any more help

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.