briannadooley97
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've recently signed up to do the EPQ and would like to do Geology at uni. So I'd like to base my project around the subject of dinosaurs, fossil and maybe conditions dinosaurs lived in? Or comparisons of different dinosaurs, or dinosaurs vs modern day creatures?
I'm having a really hard time thinking of a question which wouldn't be too difficult to research and would give me enough information to do a 5000 word essay on. Literally any help whatsoever would be a massive help. Thank you
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by briannadooley97)
I've recently signed up to do the EPQ and would like to do Geology at uni. So I'd like to base my project around the subject of dinosaurs, fossil and maybe conditions dinosaurs lived in? Or comparisons of different dinosaurs, or dinosaurs vs modern day creatures?
I'm having a really hard time thinking of a question which wouldn't be too difficult to research and would give me enough information to do a 5000 word essay on. Literally any help whatsoever would be a massive help. Thank you
Hi

I did my EPQ researching and comparing the different theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs and deciding whether the asteroid impact theory provided the best explanation or not. Perhaps you could do something similar, like researching and comparing the different theories for the extinction at the Permian-Triassic boundary where 95% of life on earth died out?

Or maybe you could do something relating to the evolution of cephalopods, and how nautiloids, despite being the least 'advanced' in terms of suture lines, ornament etc, are still alive today, whereas other cephalopods like goniatites and ammonites are extinct, even though they had stronger shells, extra features like a keel or sulcus to help them move through the water more efficiently etc. I'm not sure how much information you'd be able to find on this though, and whether it's too similar to the OCR Geology syllabus (if you're doing it), but it's an idea.

I hope these ideas give you some inspiration
briannadooley97
Rep:
Hiya! I really like your first idea! The last ideas are really similar to the OCR spec unfortunately:/ As I'm fairly new to the area (due to the first year being purely rocks haha) I'm finding it hard to find good sources to research these kind of questions? (I've been researching various things to see if much comes up on the internet) and I'm not having too much luck where did you do your research? and thank you you've been a lot of help
username2088165
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hiya! I really like your first idea! The last ideas are really similar to the OCR spec unfortunately:/ As I'm fairly new to the area (due to the first year being purely rocks haha) I'm finding it hard to find good sources to research these kind of questions? (I've been researching various things to see if much comes up on the internet) and I'm not having too much luck where did you do your research? and thank you you've been a lot of help
I did the majority of my research using the Internet, using Google to find various websites which had information relating to each extinction theory and evidence to support or oppose them. I also used a few books including The Kingfisher Illustrated Dinosaur Encyclopedia, along with some documentaries which I found on YouTube
briannadooley97
Rep:
Okay thank you! Maybe I'll go to the library tomorrow and the perfect question will pop into my head haha will try and find stuff on the extinction theories
username2088165
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Okay thank you! Maybe I'll go to the library tomorrow and the perfect question will pop into my head haha will try and find stuff on the extinction theories
Good luck with it! If you need any more help you can send me a private message
briannadooley97
Rep:
Thank you so much! Will do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (14)
20.9%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (7)
10.45%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.97%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
14.93%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
23.88%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
23.88%

Watched Threads