Turn on thread page Beta

Hi everyone

So, I have one day to write my personal statement and i'm still stuck between taking Psychology or Economics at Uni. My GCSE results were 7A* 3A, AS-levels: AABB and my A2 predictions are A*AA.
    I'm very interested in doing psychology but people tend to discard it as a micky-mouse degree and it's not worth doing... but of course Economics is on the other hand extremely competitive meaning that i hardly have a shot (to the likes of Oxbridge, LSE etc) where i just scrap the entry requirements.
    I also didn't take Economics or Further maths for A-levels- so i may be at a huge disadvantage, but I do have a lot of experience in investment banking and Fund-raising for charities etc etc.

The ultimate goal is to be an investment banker or something of that sort as I love maths but do i have a chance doing Economics at the top unis or should i simply apply for psychology where i comfortably fit the entry requirements and can just do a lot of internships and experience in banking.

BTW... How hard is it to change degrees at the best unis going from psychology to Economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone

So, I have one day to write my personal statement and i'm still stuck between taking Psychology or Economics at Uni. My GCSE results were 7A* 3A, AS-levels: AABB and my A2 predictions are A*AA.
    I'm very interested in doing psychology but people tend to discard it as a micky-mouse degree and it's not worth doing... but of course Economics is on the other hand extremely competitive meaning that i hardly have a shot (to the likes of Oxbridge, LSE etc) where i just scrap the entry requirements.
    I also didn't take Economics or Further maths for A-levels- so i may be at a huge disadvantage, but I do have a lot of experience in investment banking and Fund-raising for charities etc etc.

The ultimate goal is to be an investment banker or something of that sort as I love maths but do i have a chance doing Economics at the top unis or should i simply apply for psychology where i comfortably fit the entry requirements and can just do a lot of internships and experience in banking.

BTW... How hard is it to change degrees at the best unis going from psychology to Economics?
    Go do economics. It's hard to get a job with psychology without further training.

(Original post by AzimH)
    Go do economics. It's hard to get a job with psychology without further training.
    I wish I could, but I dont know whether it is worth it if i dont get into Oxford, LSE, Durham etc etc. and my personal statement isn't going to be as amazing as other economic students i know as they have prepared for it for a whole year.

I dont know if its better to just have a psychology degree at a better uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I wish I could, but I dont know whether it is worth it if i dont get into Oxford, LSE, Durham etc etc. and my personal statement isn't going to be as amazing as other economic students i know as they have prepared for it for a whole year.

I dont know if its better to just have a psychology degree at a better uni
    My personal opinion friend- feel free to ignore it if you wish- there is absolutely no point doing a course just for the sake of getting into a better uni. In the end you man not like the jobs that specific degree opens you up to. As you previously stated that you want to get into investment banking as a career I suggest economics. Apply for 1 top uni (as a risk uni) and for the other 4 apply for relatively good unis. Warwick is one of the top unis in the country but my friend got in with all A grades. I think you can too if you try Best of luck!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.