Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to a US university and I was wondering:
    1. if there are any uni's where I don't have to do additional tests for?
    2. how I can pay for everything?
    3. when they give scholarships, what does it cover?
    4. which uni's will except me with ABBD at AS? (D is in Maths which I have dropped)
    5.which uni's are good for biomed/biological sciences?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by schmidt_weasley)
    1. if there are any uni's where I don't have to do additional tests for?
    Certain schools, such as NYU will allow your to submit your A-level results as the only testing necessary.

The vast majority of schools will require SAT/ACT and SAT II subject tests.

2. how I can pay for everything?
    Be very wealthy; take out private loans and drown in debt for the rest of your life, or find a school that will offer you financial aid.

3. when they give scholarships, what does it cover?
    That depends on which scholarship you've received and the amount. Scholarships can range from an insignificant $1,000 all to way to complete tuition, room, board and textbooks.

4. which uni's will except me with ABBD at AS? (D is in Maths which I have dropped)
    Insufficient information. In the US, we need to know your GCSE grades as well. You'll also need a list of extracurricular activities you've been doing for a number years.

5.which uni's are good for biomed/biological sciences?
    You can find a rough ranking of biology rankings here.

However, your A-level results convert into approximately a US 3.225 GPA. This is going to exclude you from virtually all well-known research universities or liberal arts colleges. This means that all of the wealthy universities that would be able to offer you need-based financial aid are completely off limits to you.

You'll need to find universities where your SAT scores are well above average so that you can get substantial scholarship.

I would recommend staying in the UK, you'll be able to attend a higher ranked institution in the UK than you would in the US due your need for financial assistance in the US; and because in the US every single grade on your transcript matters, it doesn't matter what courses you dropped.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.