2020grad
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hey guys ,
i plan on applying for chemical engineering this year and i have so many questions.Should i pick my uni based on how good they are ranked in general or how high they are ranked based on chemical engineering. I don't know any of my predicted grades yet but i'm hopeful. I have looked at various unis and i was adviced to only apply to ICHEM accredited universities. Realistically i think i'm perfectly capable of AAA i take Chemistry, Physics and math. Below are the top 8 unis i'm considering, kindly help pick out 5

CAMBRIDGE
IMPERIAL
BATH
NOTTINGHAM
NEWCASTLE
LOUGHBOUROUGH
SUREEY
SWANSEA

Also, you're free to add any other uni to your top 5 but please include reason.

i really need help please
2020grad
Rep:
?
  1. hey guys ,
    i plan on applying for chemical engineering this year and i have so many questions.Should i pick my uni based on how good they are ranked in general or how high they are ranked based on chemical engineering. I don't know any of my predicted grades yet but i'm hopeful. I have looked at various unis and i was adviced to only apply to ICHEM accredited universities. Realistically i think i'm perfectly capable of AAA i take Chemistry, Physics and math. Below are the top 8 unis i'm considering, kindly help pick out 5

CAMBRIDGE
    IMPERIAL
    BATH
    NOTTINGHAM
    NEWCASTLE
    LOUGHBOUROUGH
    SUREEY
    SWANSEA

Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need A*A*A for Cambridge and Imperial. And A*AA for some others too. Check the university requirements.

What did you get in AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
dahl786
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brighton
Leeds met
London met
Cardiff met
Wolverhampton
2020grad
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
You need A*A*A for Cambridge and Imperial. And A*AA for some others too. Check the university requirements.

What did you get in AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have AS grades because I got sick during some of my units so I don't have final grades for my subjects. I'm going to take the units I missed next June.

I know about the requirements
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sholaa)
I don't have AS grades because I got sick during some of my units so I don't have final grades for my subjects. I'm going to take the units I missed next June.

I know about the requirements
So, if you are realistically on target for A*A*A then apply to Cambridge/Imperial. If you aren't then you would probably be wasting 2 slots on your UCAS.
Shadez
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey guys ,

CAMBRIDGE
IMPERIAL
BATH
NOTTINGHAM
NEWCASTLE
LOUGHBOUROUGH
SUREEY
SWANSEA

You should consider Manchester, they have excellent new facilities (a new building dedicated to chemical engineering) international reputation, ICHEM accredited as well as the option of a 4 Year MEng that includes Industrial Experience which I don't think is offered by a lot of universities.
Entry requirement onto the standard BEng or MEng is AAA, if you do however wish to apply to the 4 MEng with Industrial Experience then the entry requirement is A*AA.

All in all I would say it's a good choice
Spoiler:
Show
I'm starting there next week :woo:
Transformer_747
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shadez)
You should consider Manchester, they have excellent new facilities (a new building dedicated to chemical engineering) international reputation, ICHEM accredited as well as the option of a 4 Year MEng that includes Industrial Experience which I don't think is offered by a lot of universities.
Entry requirement onto the standard BEng or MEng is AAA, if you do however wish to apply to the 4 MEng with Industrial Experience then the entry requirement is A*AA.

Spoiler:
Show
What was the interview like? I'm thinking of applying there too!
Shadez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Transformer_747)
What was the interview like? I'm thinking of applying there too!
PM
Proxenus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm going into 1st year chem eng Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile
dahl786
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Proxenus)

Posted from TSR Mobile
1st year eee at uni of nottingham here
2020grad
Rep:
?

Spoiler:
Show
I actually didn't notice they offered that. if i apply for just Chem Eng MEng can i later on switch to the course with the industrial Experience ?
OMG congratsss , was there an interview? how was it? You must be so thrilled. btw which did you apply for ?
2020grad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Proxenus)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratsss
The entry requirements are AAB right ? Think i'm going to apply here as my fifth choice. did you get an interview ?
whydoidothis?
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what have u gotten in the modules you have taken. What score?
2020grad
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
So, if you are realistically on target for A*A*A then apply to Cambridge/Imperial. If you aren't then you would probably be wasting 2 slots on your UCAS.
i'm not applying to Cambridge/Imperial i'd prefer to leave them as adjustment options...

how about the other universities ?
Shadez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I actually didn't notice they offered that. if i apply for just Chem Eng MEng can i later on switch to the course with the industrial Experience ?
OMG congratsss , was there an interview? how was it? You must be so thrilled. btw which did you apply for ?
1.Yes but in order to do so you must get 60% or above in your first year at uni. Alternatively you can also apply for the MEng or BEng and then switch later on in the year if you're feeling confident in getting the required A*AA

2.Yes there is an interview they ask you some standard questions eg why study @ Manchester and why chemical engineering and some technical questions to test your understanding of maths/chem/physics

3. I applied for the BEng and then switched to the MEng with Industrial Experience

2020grad
Rep:
?
(Original post by whydoidothis?)
what have u gotten in the modules you have taken. What score?
Math - C2 - 100/100 (A)
C1- 85/100 (A)

CHEMISTRY UNIT 3 - 52/60 (A)

PHYSICS UNIT 3 - 42/60 (B)
UNIT 1 - 86/120 (B)

AS BIOLOGY - C
2020grad
Rep:
?
1.Yes but in order to do so you must get 60% or above in your first year at uni. Alternatively you can also apply for the MEng or BEng and then switch later on in the year if you're feeling confident in getting the required A*AA

2.Yes there is an interview they ask you some standard questions eg why study @ Manchester and why chemical engineering and some technical questions to test your understanding of maths/chem/physics

3. I applied for the BEng and then switched to the MEng with Industrial Experience

Oh I get it, i'm so crap at interviews
Shadez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh I get it, i'm so crap at interviews
Don't worry they guide you through the technical questions and if you get invited to an interview they will most likely give you an offer. I think the interviews are to weed out people who don't really want to study chemical engineering i.e. wanna be medics who put chem eng as their 5th option. Also to see how you are as a person ,that's it really.
whydoidothis?
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Math - C2 - 100/100 (A)
C1- 85/100 (A)

CHEMISTRY UNIT 3 - 52/60 (A)

PHYSICS UNIT 3 - 42/60 (B)
UNIT 1 - 86/120 (B)

AS BIOLOGY - C
sorry read your applyng this year

Will unis be fine with the fact your only qualification atm is a C in AS biology?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (231)
61.11%
No (78)
20.63%
Not sure (69)
18.25%

Watched Threads