Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys ,
    i plan on applying for chemical engineering this year and i have so many questions.Should i pick my uni based on how good they are ranked in general or how high they are ranked based on chemical engineering. I don't know any of my predicted grades yet but i'm hopeful. I have looked at various unis and i was adviced to only apply to ICHEM accredited universities. Realistically i think i'm perfectly capable of AAA i take Chemistry, Physics and math. Below are the top 8 unis i'm considering, kindly help pick out 5

CAMBRIDGE
    IMPERIAL
    BATH
    NOTTINGHAM
    NEWCASTLE
    LOUGHBOUROUGH
    SUREEY
    SWANSEA

Also, you're free to add any other uni to your top 5 but please include reason.

i really need help please

ReputationRep:
    1. hey guys ,
      i plan on applying for chemical engineering this year and i have so many questions.Should i pick my uni based on how good they are ranked in general or how high they are ranked based on chemical engineering. I don't know any of my predicted grades yet but i'm hopeful. I have looked at various unis and i was adviced to only apply to ICHEM accredited universities. Realistically i think i'm perfectly capable of AAA i take Chemistry, Physics and math. Below are the top 8 unis i'm considering, kindly help pick out 5

CAMBRIDGE
      IMPERIAL
      BATH
      NOTTINGHAM
      NEWCASTLE
      LOUGHBOUROUGH
      SUREEY
      SWANSEA

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You need A*A*A for Cambridge and Imperial. And A*AA for some others too. Check the university requirements.

What did you get in AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Brighton
    Leeds met
    London met
    Cardiff met
    Wolverhampton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You need A*A*A for Cambridge and Imperial. And A*AA for some others too. Check the university requirements.

What did you get in AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't have AS grades because I got sick during some of my units so I don't have final grades for my subjects. I'm going to take the units I missed next June.

I know about the requirements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by sholaa)
    I don't have AS grades because I got sick during some of my units so I don't have final grades for my subjects. I'm going to take the units I missed next June.

I know about the requirements
    So, if you are realistically on target for A*A*A then apply to Cambridge/Imperial. If you aren't then you would probably be wasting 2 slots on your UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys ,

CAMBRIDGE
    IMPERIAL
    BATH
    NOTTINGHAM
    NEWCASTLE
    LOUGHBOUROUGH
    SUREEY
    SWANSEA

You should consider Manchester, they have excellent new facilities (a new building dedicated to chemical engineering) international reputation, ICHEM accredited as well as the option of a 4 Year MEng that includes Industrial Experience which I don't think is offered by a lot of universities.
    Entry requirement onto the standard BEng or MEng is AAA, if you do however wish to apply to the 4 MEng with Industrial Experience then the entry requirement is A*AA.

All in all I would say it's a good choice
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm starting there next week :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadez)
    You should consider Manchester, they have excellent new facilities (a new building dedicated to chemical engineering) international reputation, ICHEM accredited as well as the option of a 4 Year MEng that includes Industrial Experience which I don't think is offered by a lot of universities.
    Entry requirement onto the standard BEng or MEng is AAA, if you do however wish to apply to the 4 MEng with Industrial Experience then the entry requirement is A*AA.

Spoiler:
    Show
    What was the interview like? I'm thinking of applying there too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transformer_747)
    What was the interview like? I'm thinking of applying there too!
    PM

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into 1st year chem eng Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1st year eee at uni of nottingham here

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I actually didn't notice they offered that. if i apply for just Chem Eng MEng can i later on switch to the course with the industrial Experience ?
    OMG congratsss , was there an interview? how was it? You must be so thrilled. btw which did you apply for ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratsss
    The entry requirements are AAB right ? Think i'm going to apply here as my fifth choice. did you get an interview ?

ReputationRep:
    what have u gotten in the modules you have taken. What score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    So, if you are realistically on target for A*A*A then apply to Cambridge/Imperial. If you aren't then you would probably be wasting 2 slots on your UCAS.
    i'm not applying to Cambridge/Imperial i'd prefer to leave them as adjustment options...

how about the other universities ?

ReputationRep:
    I actually didn't notice they offered that. if i apply for just Chem Eng MEng can i later on switch to the course with the industrial Experience ?
    OMG congratsss , was there an interview? how was it? You must be so thrilled. btw which did you apply for ?
    1.Yes but in order to do so you must get 60% or above in your first year at uni. Alternatively you can also apply for the MEng or BEng and then switch later on in the year if you're feeling confident in getting the required A*AA

2.Yes there is an interview they ask you some standard questions eg why study @ Manchester and why chemical engineering and some technical questions to test your understanding of maths/chem/physics

3. I applied for the BEng and then switched to the MEng with Industrial Experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    what have u gotten in the modules you have taken. What score?
    Math - C2 - 100/100 (A)
    C1- 85/100 (A)

CHEMISTRY UNIT 3 - 52/60 (A)

PHYSICS UNIT 3 - 42/60 (B)
    UNIT 1 - 86/120 (B)

AS BIOLOGY - C

ReputationRep:
    1.Yes but in order to do so you must get 60% or above in your first year at uni. Alternatively you can also apply for the MEng or BEng and then switch later on in the year if you're feeling confident in getting the required A*AA

2.Yes there is an interview they ask you some standard questions eg why study @ Manchester and why chemical engineering and some technical questions to test your understanding of maths/chem/physics

3. I applied for the BEng and then switched to the MEng with Industrial Experience

Oh I get it, i'm so crap at interviews

ReputationRep:
    Oh I get it, i'm so crap at interviews
    Don't worry they guide you through the technical questions and if you get invited to an interview they will most likely give you an offer. I think the interviews are to weed out people who don't really want to study chemical engineering i.e. wanna be medics who put chem eng as their 5th option. Also to see how you are as a person ,that's it really.

ReputationRep:
    Math - C2 - 100/100 (A)
    C1- 85/100 (A)

CHEMISTRY UNIT 3 - 52/60 (A)

PHYSICS UNIT 3 - 42/60 (B)
    UNIT 1 - 86/120 (B)

AS BIOLOGY - C
    sorry read your applyng this year

Will unis be fine with the fact your only qualification atm is a C in AS biology?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.