The Student Room Group

Difficult Manager in Uni Placement!

Hi guys,

I started a new job 3 weeks ago as an University Industrial Placement student (first ever office job) and I feel that I'm doing well - especially when I have been given so much responsibility already.

Despite my enjoyment in the role thus far, I was only given a disappointing 4 and a half days "training" (Handover from last years IP) and my manager doesn't like me asking questions. This has proved frustrating and, despite being on top of things at all times, I feel my manager wants more and this seems unrealistic as I have progressed/learnt so much in 3 weeks with little to no help. I'm working really hard and doing my very best so hopefully she will gain confidence in me as the time goes on. My role is completely "self-sufficient" i.e. I'm the only person in the company that actually understands the role (my manager doesn't even understand, I'm training her next week!). I'm on top of things, everything is going fine in the actual job, but my manager is constantly asking if I'm "drowning" and making comments like "maybe I should have more confidence in you".

How would you recommend I "manage" my manager?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try googling 'managing your manager' and see what comes back. What works will depend on your manager and the sort of relationship you have with her. Do you have one-to-one meetings to discuss your progress? See if you can set an agenda and email that to her in advance. On the agenda you can put things like training, workload, goals for the future (3 months) and reporting. This will help to set expectations and formalise and manage them better. It may also help you to pin point exactly why she thinks you're 'drowning'. Just to play the devil's advocate, can you think of any reasons why she may think you're drowning? Are you sure you know what's expected of you and are delivering that and is there any way you can check? Finally, try and develop a thick skin. The world of work can be harsh sometimes and it is easier said than done but it helps to not let it get you down too much, especially if you know that you're doing your best. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest