The Student Room Group

Advice on how to cope with huge A-Level workload?

I've just started my A2s and I'm struggling a lot.
At the moment, I'm doing 4 A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths) so I only have two free periods in a week, whereas most of my friends have about 10. My teachers also seem to be very fond of piling homework on us- at the moment, I'm getting about 2 hours worth of work every day. I spend lunchtimes doing homework. On top of this, I have my personal statement to write (currently in the process of writing it) which is time consuming. I would have done this over summer, but I had the UKCAT to prepare for (a medical school aptitude test).
Furthermore, I'm a medicine applicant. I'm applying to Oxford, therefore I also have to do BMAT preparation (another medical school exam) in my free time. On top of this, I have extra reading to do around my subject, in preparation for potential interviews. And it's not like I have much time over the weekends- I have work covered in lessons to review, homework to do but I also volunteer on a Friday evening and Sunday morning/afternoon. Saturday's are generally busy due to extra-curricular activities at school (ie sports fixtures, talks on subjects etc).

So yeah, as you can see, I'm ridiculously busy. Does anybody have any tips on how I can juggle this? Are there any time saving strategies that I can utilise to save time. As it is I'm only getting about 5 hours of sleep a night and it's really having a negative impact on my classwork :/ thank you! :h:
Reply 1
Original post by thechemistress
At the moment, I'm doing 4 A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths) so I only have two free periods in a week, whereas most of my friends have about 10. My teachers also seem to be very fond of piling homework on us- at the moment, I'm getting about 2 hours worth of work every day. I spend lunchtimes doing homework. On top of this, I have my personal statement to write (currently in the process of writing it) which is time consuming. I would have done this over summer, but I had the UKCAT to prepare for (a medical school aptitude test).
Furthermore, I'm a medicine applicant. I'm applying to Oxford, therefore I also have to do BMAT preparation (another medical school exam) in my free time. On top of this, I have extra reading to do around my subject, in preparation for potential interviews. And it's not like I have much time over the weekends- I have work covered in lessons to review, homework to do but I also volunteer on a Friday evening and Sunday morning/afternoon. Saturday's are generally busy due to extra-curricular activities at school (ie sports fixtures, talks on subjects etc).

So yeah, as you can see, I'm ridiculously busy. Does anybody have any tips on how I can juggle this? Are there any time saving strategies that I can utilise to save time. As it is I'm only getting about 5 hours of sleep a night and it's really having a negative impact on my classwork :/ thank you! :h:

:colonhash: Same here
With the personal statement, biology, chemistry, maths, geography, epq, bmat...... I'm struggling to cope

Well the obvious thing would be to drop one of your subjects, you don't need 4 A2's (although you are applying for medicine at Oxford so they'll all get 20 A*s at A2). Homework will probably calm down after a few weeks plus you'll have sent off your Oxford application so it should be easier for you soon.
Original post by Azula
:colonhash: Same here
With the personal statement, biology, chemistry, maths, geography, epq, bmat...... I'm struggling to cope

Ah yes, you feel my pain don't you? :lol:

Original post by CheetahCurtis
Well the obvious thing would be to drop one of your subjects, you don't need 4 A2's (although you are applying for medicine at Oxford so they'll all get 20 A*s at A2). Homework will probably calm down after a few weeks plus you'll have sent off your Oxford application so it should be easier for you soon.

Well, I've already learnt all of maths A-level (last year) but I decided not to take the exams last year, but this year instead. So I'm technically learning dor 3 A2s plus an extra 3 exams xD
Fingers crossed :lol: why is homework so crazy at the beginning of term?
Reply 4
Ah yes, you feel my pain don't you? :lol:

Well, I've already learnt all of maths A-level (last year) but I decided not to take the exams last year, but this year instead. So I'm technically learning dor 3 A2s plus an extra 3 exams xD
Fingers crossed :lol: why is homework so crazy at the beginning of term?

not funny :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest