Turn on thread page Beta

Advice for which laptop to buy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm not very good with technology so need some help as to which laptops I should look at for uni. It will mainly be used for essays and internet, but I'm fairly into photography as well.
    I had a MacBook but it broke just after the two year warranty, the screen blacked out, I can hook it up to a TV but it isn't exactly portable. I was thinking about getting another but it's going to be a lot of money if it breaks fairly quickly and is taking out insurance on one worth it?
    I've also had a chromebook, which was terrible. Can only use the internet and when trying to import photos it's just ridiculously slow. A major negative point of both computers was I didn't have Microsoft Office, do laptops normally come with this or is it something you buy extra even with Windows?

ReputationRep:
    Go for a Dell - they run on Windows.. Both of my Dell laptops are durable - one has lasted 6 years and still going and this one I'm on is 3 years old.

They don't come with Microsoft Office unless you get a special deal or bundle with the laptop. But you can also get Microsoft Office for students which will be significantly cheaper as long as you can prove your student status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Go for a Dell - they run on Windows.. Both of my Dell laptops are durable - one has lasted 6 years and still going and this one I'm on is 3 years old.

They don't come with Microsoft Office unless you get a special deal or bundle with the laptop. But you can also get Microsoft Office for students which will be significantly cheaper as long as you can prove your student status.
    Hi thanks for the reply, do you recommend any particular type of dell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheskahb)
    Hi thanks for the reply, do you recommend any particular type of dell?
    From your OP it seems like you will use it for just fairly basic things which aren't going to be resource heavy so Inspiron laptops are good.

Inspiron 5000 series seem to be good for what you need they start at £329. But what sort of budget are you looking for?

Also some unis may offer Microsoft Office free for students as part of their software package.

ReputationRep:
    But what sort of budget are you looking for?
    Money isn't exactly an issue, it's more what I'd get and would it last. But I don't want to spend more than £1000. I was thinking solely Apple but from past experiences I don't want to waste all the money I've made!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheskahb)
    Money isn't exactly an issue, it's more what I'd get and would it last. But I don't want to spend more than £1000. I was thinking solely Apple but from past experiences I don't want to waste all the money I've made!
    OK in that case Dell Inspiron 7000 with 15 inch screen might be good for you then - cheapest is £879.00

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15...p/pd?ref=PD_OC

You get 13 inch laptops but from experience the screen size is too small and I certainly got frustrated with it.

ReputationRep:
    Xps 13 is a highly rated laptop which I've used and is stunning, price starts at £850

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdi112)
    Xps 13 is a highly rated laptop which I've used and is stunning, price starts at £850

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The new XPS 13s start at £1199 now: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-9343...p/pd?ref=PD_OC

ReputationRep:
    i find lenovo easy to use and the looks are nice

ReputationRep:
    Anything Sony

ReputationRep:
    The new XPS 13s start at £1199 now: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-9343...p/pd?ref=PD_OC
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00R...yuL&ref=plSrch

And the only difference is processor, the "new" thing about it is it comes with W10 but it's the exact same model and range

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aah fair enough!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.