Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am just asking a simple question regarding whether or not if pure mathematics is the same as core mathematics.

If not, what are the differences? From my own personal view (probs wrong) they are the same but just continuations of each other. E.g C1-4 than FP1-3.
    But I've come across information suggesting pure mathematics is "theoretical".

All comments are well appreciated so thanks

P.S this is for my maths personal statement, so I do not want to screw this up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mubmoh)
    Hello,

I am just asking a simple question regarding whether or not if pure mathematics is the same as core mathematics.

If not, what are the differences? From my own personal view (probs wrong) they are the same but just continuations of each other. E.g C1-4 than FP1-3.
    But I've come across information suggesting pure mathematics is "theoretical".

All comments are well appreciated so thanks

P.S this is for my maths personal statement, so I do not want to screw this up
    Core Maths is what the exam boards decided to call Pure Maths when they rewrote the specifications for 2004. One reason for calling it Core is that all the boards currently have the same material in their Core modules (if you consider C1 and C2 together, then C3 and C4 together). It also made it clear that the distribution of the material was different from the Pure Maths modules of 2001- 2004, which were called P1 - P3. Pure Maths is theoretical, whereas Mechanics and Statistics involve applying Pure Maths to real life situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Core Maths is what the exam boards decided to call Pure Maths when they rewrote the specifications for 2004. One reason for calling it Core is that all the boards currently have the same material in their Core modules (if you consider C1 and C2 together, then C3 and C4 together). It also made it clear that the distribution of the material was different from the Pure Maths modules of 2001- 2004, which were called P1 - P3. Pure Maths is theoretical, whereas Mechanics and Statistics involve applying Pure Maths to real life situations.
    Is it true that if you enjoy core maths at A Level you are actually more likely to enjoy the applied mathematics at uni as it's more similar to the work we do at the moment?

ReputationRep:

If not, what are the differences?
    I wouldn't say anything covered in the standard A level is really 'pure' mathematics. Ask an A level student about algebra, and they won't start talking about groups and rings, though if you pick up any "Introduction to Algebra" text, that's exactly what the first few chapters will be about.

Calculus gets an upgrade at university to Analysis, which really is pure mathematics. The difference is the focus. We do calculus to calculate quantities (or functions) of interest, we do analysis to understand the behaviour of real functions.

Pure mathematics is all about proof, really. 'Getting maths done', looks like a list of theorems and their proofs - now we know about about these objects than we did before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    It also made it clear that the distribution of the material was different from the Pure Maths modules of 2001- 2004, which were called P1 - P3. Pure Maths is theoretical, whereas Mechanics and Statistics involve applying Pure Maths to real life situations.
    Thank you, I really appreciate your comment

(Original post by FireGarden)
    I wouldn't say anything covered in the standard A level is really 'pure' mathematics.
    So if I refer to C1-4 and FP1-3 as 'pure' maths in my personal statement, will I get frowned upon for lack of maths knowledge by universities?
    Your comment is well appreciated as well

Thank you, I really appreciate your comment

So if I refer to C1-4 and FP1-3 as 'pure' maths in my personal statement, will I get frowned upon for lack of maths knowledge by universities?
    Your comment is well appreciated as well
    I suspect academics will be very annoyed if you call any A-level module pure maths. To them, unless you've done some outside reading, you haven't done any pure maths yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex:)
    I suspect academics will be very annoyed if you call any A-level module pure maths. To them, unless you've done some outside reading, you haven't done any pure maths yet.
    Ok thanks, I do not want to piss anyone off before I meet them
    How would you refer to the A level core modules and further pure modules than?

Ok thanks, I do not want to piss anyone off before I meet them
    How would you refer to the A level core modules and further pure modules than?
    Probably just as "A-level maths" or "further maths".
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ok thanks, I do not want to piss anyone off before I meet them How would you refer to the A level core modules and further pure modules than?
    I doubt very much that any maths academics tasked with reviewing personal statements would be "very annoyed" by it. After all, FP means Further Pure. And the Core units are described by the exam boards as "Pure Core". So they are in effect pure maths, at least as far as A-levels are concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Probably just as "A-level maths" or "further maths".
    But this could be seen as misleading, if I say "A level maths" or "further maths" it can be seen to include mechanics and statistics modules, and this will be seen as contradicting with my follow up statements. Thanks for the help so far

(Original post by jneill)
    I doubt very much that any maths academics tasked with reviewing personal statements would be "very annoyed" by it. After all, FP means Further Pure. And the Core units are described by the exam boards as "Pure Core". So they are in effect pure maths, at least as far as A-levels are concerned.
    Thanks, I just don't want to mess this up. Your contribution is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    But this could be seen as misleading, if I say "A level maths" or "further maths" it can be seen to include mechanics and statistics modules, and this will be seen as contradicting with my follow up statements. Thanks for the help so far

You could say the pure maths elements/modules of A level Maths?

ReputationRep:
    Why not just refer to the separate modules, or specific topics you enjoyed? This avoids the whole issue.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

You won't mess it up - don't worry!
    And Maths PSs are barely read anyway

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.