Is pure mathematics the same as core?

Watch
mubmoh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I am just asking a simple question regarding whether or not if pure mathematics is the same as core mathematics.

If not, what are the differences? From my own personal view (probs wrong) they are the same but just continuations of each other. E.g C1-4 than FP1-3.
But I've come across information suggesting pure mathematics is "theoretical".

All comments are well appreciated so thanks

P.S this is for my maths personal statement, so I do not want to screw this up
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mubmoh)
Hello,

I am just asking a simple question regarding whether or not if pure mathematics is the same as core mathematics.

If not, what are the differences? From my own personal view (probs wrong) they are the same but just continuations of each other. E.g C1-4 than FP1-3.
But I've come across information suggesting pure mathematics is "theoretical".

All comments are well appreciated so thanks

P.S this is for my maths personal statement, so I do not want to screw this up
Core Maths is what the exam boards decided to call Pure Maths when they rewrote the specifications for 2004. One reason for calling it Core is that all the boards currently have the same material in their Core modules (if you consider C1 and C2 together, then C3 and C4 together). It also made it clear that the distribution of the material was different from the Pure Maths modules of 2001- 2004, which were called P1 - P3. Pure Maths is theoretical, whereas Mechanics and Statistics involve applying Pure Maths to real life situations.
username1763791
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
Core Maths is what the exam boards decided to call Pure Maths when they rewrote the specifications for 2004. One reason for calling it Core is that all the boards currently have the same material in their Core modules (if you consider C1 and C2 together, then C3 and C4 together). It also made it clear that the distribution of the material was different from the Pure Maths modules of 2001- 2004, which were called P1 - P3. Pure Maths is theoretical, whereas Mechanics and Statistics involve applying Pure Maths to real life situations.
Is it true that if you enjoy core maths at A Level you are actually more likely to enjoy the applied mathematics at uni as it's more similar to the work we do at the moment?
FireGarden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

If not, what are the differences?
I wouldn't say anything covered in the standard A level is really 'pure' mathematics. Ask an A level student about algebra, and they won't start talking about groups and rings, though if you pick up any "Introduction to Algebra" text, that's exactly what the first few chapters will be about.

Calculus gets an upgrade at university to Analysis, which really is pure mathematics. The difference is the focus. We do calculus to calculate quantities (or functions) of interest, we do analysis to understand the behaviour of real functions.

Pure mathematics is all about proof, really. 'Getting maths done', looks like a list of theorems and their proofs - now we know about about these objects than we did before.
mubmoh
Rep:
?
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
It also made it clear that the distribution of the material was different from the Pure Maths modules of 2001- 2004, which were called P1 - P3. Pure Maths is theoretical, whereas Mechanics and Statistics involve applying Pure Maths to real life situations.
Thank you, I really appreciate your comment

(Original post by FireGarden)
I wouldn't say anything covered in the standard A level is really 'pure' mathematics.
So if I refer to C1-4 and FP1-3 as 'pure' maths in my personal statement, will I get frowned upon for lack of maths knowledge by universities?
Your comment is well appreciated as well
InOrbit
Badges: 9
Report 4 years ago
Thank you, I really appreciate your comment

So if I refer to C1-4 and FP1-3 as 'pure' maths in my personal statement, will I get frowned upon for lack of maths knowledge by universities?
Your comment is well appreciated as well
I suspect academics will be very annoyed if you call any A-level module pure maths. To them, unless you've done some outside reading, you haven't done any pure maths yet.
mubmoh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex:)
I suspect academics will be very annoyed if you call any A-level module pure maths. To them, unless you've done some outside reading, you haven't done any pure maths yet.
Ok thanks, I do not want to piss anyone off before I meet them
How would you refer to the A level core modules and further pure modules than?
InOrbit
Badges: 9
Report 4 years ago
Ok thanks, I do not want to piss anyone off before I meet them
How would you refer to the A level core modules and further pure modules than?
Probably just as "A-level maths" or "further maths".
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok thanks, I do not want to piss anyone off before I meet them How would you refer to the A level core modules and further pure modules than?
I doubt very much that any maths academics tasked with reviewing personal statements would be "very annoyed" by it. After all, FP means Further Pure. And the Core units are described by the exam boards as "Pure Core". So they are in effect pure maths, at least as far as A-levels are concerned.
mubmoh
Rep:
?
Probably just as "A-level maths" or "further maths".
But this could be seen as misleading, if I say "A level maths" or "further maths" it can be seen to include mechanics and statistics modules, and this will be seen as contradicting with my follow up statements. Thanks for the help so far

(Original post by jneill)
I doubt very much that any maths academics tasked with reviewing personal statements would be "very annoyed" by it. After all, FP means Further Pure. And the Core units are described by the exam boards as "Pure Core". So they are in effect pure maths, at least as far as A-levels are concerned.
Thanks, I just don't want to mess this up. Your contribution is appreciated
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But this could be seen as misleading, if I say "A level maths" or "further maths" it can be seen to include mechanics and statistics modules, and this will be seen as contradicting with my follow up statements. Thanks for the help so far

You could say the pure maths elements/modules of A level Maths?
EXTREMEninja
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why not just refer to the separate modules, or specific topics you enjoyed? This avoids the whole issue.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

You won't mess it up - don't worry!
And Maths PSs are barely read anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (236)
60.98%
No (80)
20.67%
Not sure (71)
18.35%

Watched Threads