Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI ...... I have always wanted to study medicine in uni however i have only been predicted ABB.
    my next plan was to go into biomed for 3 years then go into medicine after that .
    I just needed advice on whether this is a good thing to do
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by nini98)
    HI ...... I have always wanted to study medicine in uni however i have only been predicted ABB.
    my next plan was to go into biomed for 3 years then go into medicine after that .
    I just needed advice on whether this is a good thing to do
    Get AAA and apply for medicine on a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    the only problem is due to personal reasons i cant take a gap year i need to be in uni next year
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Get AAA and apply for medicine on a gap year.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    the only problem is due to personal reasons i cant take a gap year i need to be in uni next year
    Get your teachers to predict you AAA and apply this year?

A gap year is a much more sensible plan than aiming for graduate medicine if there is a chance you can get straight in as an undergraduate. Just be mindful that aiming for GEM is going to be very expensive, not to mention there is no guarantee that GEM will exist in its current form in 4 years time.

ReputationRep:

A gap year is a much more sensible plan than aiming for graduate medicine if there is a chance you can get straight in as an undergraduate. Just be mindful that aiming for GEM is going to be very expensive, not to mention there is no guarantee that GEM will exist in its current form in 4 years time.
    my teachers are adamant on what they have predicted ,is there no way to go into medicine after bio med
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    my teachers are adamant on what they have predicted ,is there no way to go into medicine after bio med
    Of course there is. But graduate entry medicine is far more competitive. Not to mention the amount of debt you'll graduate with. And if you apply for 5 year medicine courses with a degree means you get no tuition fee support. So you need a spare £36k.

ReputationRep:

Where was your source in information that GEM will not exist in 4 years time?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BioGeek)
    Where was your source in information that GEM will not exist in 4 years time?
    I didn't say its a definite. But if they move point of registration moves to graduation (rather than at the end of FY1) then GEM would not meet the number of hours needed to meet European requirements. Its all speculation at the moment, but its a possibility. Plus with this governement nothing is guaranteed in terms of medicine or education.

If you can get the grades I will always recommend trying to get in as an undergraduate. As would the majority of my GEM colleagues.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say its a definite. But if they move point of registration moves to graduation (rather than at the end of FY1) then GEM would not meet the number of hours needed to meet European requirements. Its all speculation at the moment, but its a possibility. Plus with this governement nothing is guaranteed in terms of medicine or education.

If you can get the grades I will always recommend trying to get in as an undergraduate. As would the majority of my GEM colleagues.
    I know i can get the grades this year but without a gap year how can i apply this year and be confident ill get a place
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I know i can get the grades this year but without a gap year how can i apply this year and be confident ill get a place
    You can't without your teachers predicting you AAA.

Or look to see if you qualify for any of the 6 year foundation courses.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.