Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently thinking about my future options in life and soon I'm going to have to choose my a levels.

I want to go into the childcare industry. Is there any a levels I can take in sixth form to help me with this career? Rather than college?
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to work in a nursery as your title suggests, you could leave now, get an apprenticeship in a nursery and get paid whilst doing a child care qualification at college.

If you want to do ALevels, why not reach higher and look into being a primary school teacher or something along those lines, you don't need ALevels to be a nursery worker.

ReputationRep:
    Alright. I haven't fully made my mind up on what I want to do, so it's hard. My a level choices have to be decided by January - so not long left.
    What a levels would help me with childcare / education overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren0405)
    Alright. I haven't fully made my mind up on what I want to do, so it's hard. My a level choices have to be decided by January - so not long left.
    What a levels would help me with childcare / education overall?
    A BTEC or ALevel in health and social care would be useful for lots of caring type roles, including young children and possibly pick "facilitating" subjects for the others. Facilitating subjects are general all round ALevels that would open up many university courses to you and include sciences, english literature, maths, history, geography, languages etc

Pick ones you have an interest or aptitude for, as doing well in these subjects will enable you to apply for early years education, childhood studies, child nursing, social work etc there are lots of ways of working with children outside nurseries.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you have an interest in it, Psychology can be quite a good subject at A Level as it has lots of Development elements. I did Psychology at A Level and then decided to do a degree in it and it was hugely helpful when I worked in a nursery. I then decided that working in a nursery wasnt enough for me so I'm now on a PGCE course to become a Primary teacher so it does give you lots of options, and can also be applied to lots of other careers if you change your mind completely

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.