Turn on thread page Beta

Am I too old to enjoy seeing my grandparents? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so we're due to see my grandparents soon and I want to go. I like seeing them and their food, and I've got nothing else to do that weekend so why not. But the thing is, I'm 17 and my 15 year old sister will be staying at home as she has plans with her friends on the Saturday. I'm worried that I'm too old to be going, especially as my younger sister is staying at home. I'm worried that my parents and grandparents will think I'm a weird loser for coming as everyone says that teenagers these days prefer their friends over their family. It should be the other way round - my sister goes with my parents and I stay home. This is why I feel like an idiot. I'm considering lowkey persuading them to reschedule the visit so all 4 of us can go. I don't particularly want to stay home just me and my sister. If it was me alone, it would be okay because I could invite my friends over and we could drink but I can't really do that when my sister is there as I feel like we'll freak her out. I feel stupid enough for going on the family holiday at 17. I feel like I act younger than my age. Guys, I'm stuck. Should I just not care what people will think and go? Or should I stay home? Or should I call my grandparents and get them to reschedule but make it a secret that the rescheduling was because of me?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care about what other people think? Do what you want and go visit them. I'm 18 and I spent most of the summer holidays taking care of my grandparents. They won't be around forever, so make the most of the few opportunities you have to make special moments with them that you'll remember for life. (you won't regret it )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rezy)
    Why do you care about what other people think? Do what you want and go visit them. I'm 18 and I spent most of the summer holidays taking care of my grandparents. They won't be around forever, so make the most of the few opportunities you have to make special moments with them that you'll remember for life. (you won't regret it )
    ughhhh I don't know why I care. I wish I could just not care. And thanks for your advice, I just hope I don't feel stupid the whole time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abcdefghijk123)
    ughhhh I don't know why I care. I wish I could just not care. And thanks for your advice, I just hope I don't feel stupid the whole time
    Don't worry, it's a good thing that you care. Many people (including me) who have lost a grandparent would do anything just to spend another minute with them again. Consider yourself lucky and make the most of what you have!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rezy)
    Don't worry, it's a good thing that you care. Many people (including me) who have lost a grandparent would do anything just to spend another minute with them again. Consider yourself lucky and make the most of what you have!
    Thank you, I guess I am pretty lucky

ReputationRep:
    If you feel like doing it, just do it or you may end up regretting it. Time is precious especially when we talk about grandparents and old people :proud:
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Absolutely not. Don’t be silly! Treasure your time with your grandparents. I know I enjoy spending time with my Nan more than anything. Like @Rezy said, they won’t be around forever. Embrace your love for them and spend as much time as you want with them. I’m sure they’ll love to have you around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marina Stomeo)
    If you feel like doing it, just do it or you may end up regretting it. Time is precious especially when we talk about grandparents and old people :proud:
    you know what, I think I will. I'll go because I want to go. F*** what other people think (I'm trying really hard to adopt this attitude lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Absolutely not. Don’t be silly! Treasure your time with your grandparents. I know I enjoy spending time with my Nan more than anything. Like @Rezy said, they won’t be around forever. Embrace your love for them and spend as much time as you want with them. I’m sure they’ll love to have you around.
    Good, I really do like seeing them. They make the best food everrrr. And we have nice outings together and getting away from the house for the weekend is always fun, thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you may visit but you may not enjoy anything beyond the age of 14.

ReputationRep:
    wtf is this for real? spend as much time as you can with your grandparents ffs!!!

I do not know ANYONE who would think it was weird or lame to see their grandparents or would judge anyone else for it?? even at school!

ReputationRep:
    go see them! I love spending time with my grandparents and always have done, anyone who thinks you're 'weird' for spending time with family isn't worth your time, family comes first and you shouldn't let anyone make you feel bad for doing anything you enjoy

same goes for family holidays

ReputationRep:
    No of course you're not too old to enjoy spending time with your grandparents! You're never too old for that. I see my grandparents nearly every day and I never get bored of them. I'm 23 and I love going out with my gran into town or taking her out for the day. I don't care if people think I'm too old to be spending a lot of my time with them. I'm their only grandchild and they are my only grandparents so I'm making the most of every minute I have with them especially as my papa doesn't keep too well.

Make the most of the time you have with them, especially if you don't see them often because before you know it, they'll be gone and you would do anything for an extra minute with them and you would kick yourself if you gave up spending time with them because you were worried about what others would think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.