Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How can intelligence be operationalized in psychology?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Rose)
    How can intelligence be operationalized in psychology?!?
    standardised tests eg. all participants given the same math test with 15 questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    standardised tests eg. all participants given the same math test with 15 questions
    Regardless of the question, I have always thought a standarised intelligence test should require no academic knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Regardless of the question, I have always thought a standarised intelligence test should require no academic knowledge
    Yeah, that could then be used as a criticism of the study eg. intelligence isn't always academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Yeah, that could then be used as a criticism of the study eg. intelligence isn't always academic.
    That's true!

ReputationRep:
    The standard measure of intelligence in the UK is the Weschler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC) / Weschler Adult Inteligence Scale (WAIS). You criticsm is correct, as both of these do rely somewhat on academic knowledge; though the maths component is an additional test and isn't usually adminstered in most cases. However the core assessment does have a vocabulary test.

There is an argument for stating that academic ability is related to intelligence. For example, other tests on the assessment relate to spatial awareness or pattern recognition - neither of which are academic in themselves, but the work you do does enhance those skills. It is common for children who have missed a lot of school (several years) to perform poorly on these assessments.

Fundamentally though, if you went into the South American jungle and gave a 15 year old a WISC to do, they'd probably really struggle. But then ask me to survive a month in the Amazon and see how well I got on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.