Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A level AQA Maths and one of the beginning modules is focused on the domain and range of a function and its inverse function. I understand that the domain is the input values and the range is the output values but I'm so confused as to how to work them out?
    For example;
    1. Given f(x) = *square root of* x, +1 (outside square root) , x *greater than or equal to* 0
    a) Questions asks to sketch graph of f(x)
    b) FInd the inverse function ; which I've worked out to be (x-1)^2

This is the part I don't understand....
    c) State the domain of f^-1(x)

I know that the domain of the inverse is the range of f(x), but I seriously have no clue how you find the range in the first place

Please please help!

ReputationRep:
    You are probably already aware that an inverse function is the original function reflected in the y=x line.
    Whe you reflect something on the line y=x you interchange the x and y coordinates. So a point (3,2) reflected in the line y=x becomes (2,3)
    So in terms of domain and range - the domain of the function is the range of the inverse function
    And the range of the original function is the domain of the inverse function due to this property of reflecting in the line y=x
    The range of the function is all the f(x) values that can be obtained from the set of x values allowed - the domain
    The domain in this case is x is greater than or equal to 0
    So what are all the values that can be obtained when we out these values of x into the function? What is the minimum value of a square bracket like (x-1)^2
    What is the maximum value - if there is one

ReputationRep:
    I wrote down the whole question, and that's all there was to it.
    I'm afraid I didn't understand most of what you said, apart from the information I said I already understood.

I feel like this is something really simple and I'm just making it a lot harder than it is.

ReputationRep:
    For this question find the range of f(x)
    And then that answer that you get is the domain of f^-1(x)

ReputationRep:
    I think I've worked out the range as f(x) *greater than or equal to* 1.
    Do you literally just sub in the domain for f(x) into the equation of f(x) to find the range?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan.gurr)
    I think I've worked out the range as f(x) *greater than or equal to* 1.
    Do you literally just sub in the domain for f(x) into the equation of f(x) to find the range?
    No you can just say that the range of f(x) which you just worked out to be x>=1 is the domain of f^-1(x)
    It's that simple

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.