The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should a woman go to jail for falsely accusing a man of rape?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doctor_Einstein
All the more reason to decrease the requirements for conviction :smile:

You absolutely are a troll right?
Surely by purposefully lying she is perverting the course if justice which is a criminal offence anyway?
Of course it is. I'm sure many men would be willing to go to jail if it means less women get raped.

Or maybe more women would be happy to be raped if it meant that less innocent men would go to prison.

Spoiler

Original post by limetang
You absolutely are a troll right?

Mate, we need to abolish rape, simple as that. Yes, some innocents will go to jail, but how can you seriously compare that a woman being raped unnecessarily.

I'm not a troll, just a feminist.

and that's why I say no to third wave.😊
Original post by caravaggio2
and that's why I say no to third wave.😊

Then you say no to equality and yes to discrimination.
Mate, we need to abolish rape, simple as that. Yes, some innocents will go to jail, but how can you seriously compare that a woman being raped unnecessarily.

OH I GET IT. So you're saying innocents going to jail doesn't matter so long as we abolish rape? Well in that case let's round up all men and boys and lock them away. That'll abolish rape (under the current legal definition of it).
All the more reason to decrease the requirements for conviction :smile:

You said that you believed all those who are guilty of committing rape get caught so that would make no difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
You said that you believed all those who are guilty of committing rape get caught so that would make no difference

Posted from TSR Mobile

But then didn't you just show that wasn't true, highlighting the need to reduce the requirements for conviction???
Original post by limetang
OH I GET IT. So you're saying innocents going to jail doesn't matter so long as we abolish rape? Well in that case let's round up all men and boys and lock them away. That'll abolish rape (under the current legal definition of it).

Well it is a balancing act between reducing rape and wrongly convicting men.

Obviously to abolish rape we must do what you say, but this is idealistic. In reality we must instead identify high risk men and lock them up, not all men.
Reply 150
Yes. Absolutely. She should be given a custodial sentence.
Reply 151
Well it is a balancing act between reducing rape and wrongly convicting men.

Obviously to abolish rape we must do what you say, but this is idealistic. In reality we must instead identify high risk men and lock them up, not all men.

What does that mean? When did we start locking people up for being a potential criminal rather than an actual criminal?
Reply 152
They shouldn't go to prison as it is a waste of 30k plus a year.. however they should be publicly named and shamed
In principle, yes. But you cannot really prove somebody is lying. Just because the man was found not guilty does not necessarily mean she was lying.

As other posters have said, what if the girl did get raped and the rapist was found not guilty for whatever reason? It'd be incredibly traumatic for a girl to have to prove that she has been raped and then prove that she wasn't lying. There'd be less women actually reporting the crimes because they'd be too scared to for fear of going to jail for something somebody else did to them.
Can't they already be convicted. Lieing under oath in court is perjury.

But yes I agree as long as there is enough evidence she maliciously (as opposed to confusion etc) lied for the cps to charge and a jury to convict. However I doubt there will be many cases where the evidence exists to make this widely applicable unfortunately.

False allegations are horrible things and anyone who makes them is quite despicable imho.
Original post by elliemayxo
Just seen it on facebook and thought it would be a good idea to ask on here.

They already do I think for perverting a court of justice or something like that
Original post by Howard
What does that mean? When did we start locking people up for being a potential criminal rather than an actual criminal?

That's actually a good idea! If we could identify those men who are more at risk of committing rape, we could potentially drastically cut the number of rapes.
Reply 157
That's actually a good idea! If we could identify those men who are more at risk of committing rape, we could potentially drastically cut the number of rapes.

Perhaps we could also identify those women who are more at risk of lying about being raped and lock them up so we could drastically cut the number of men whose reputations are tarnished, jobs are lost, and falsely imprisoned.
Original post by Howard
Perhaps we could also identify those women who are more at risk of lying about being raped and lock them up so we could drastically cut the number of men whose reputations are tarnished, jobs are lost, and falsely imprisoned.

I mean. They're clearly one of two things: a troll, or a misandrist. Either way we it doesn't really seem worth engaging with them for a reasonable response to this issue.
Original post by TorpidPhil
No. Don't be absurd. I mean, I'm sure rape does happen legitimately yet it cannot be proved in a court quite a lot. That's an issue and punishing the women then for the rigour of the courts being too much to give her justice for the crime she had to tolerate is just as heinous as jailing a male for rape when he is innocent.

Something needs to be done but jailing false accusers 100% of the time is just a bit silly.

You're falsely conflating cases that feel apart due to lack of evidence with proven lying from accusers. They are not one and the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending