The Student Room Group

Please help! How to proceed If I failed my clinical year...

Dear reader,

I read through the forum, but I didn’t find any specific answers that can relate to my situation. So I decided to post my own.

I’m currently a year 4 medical student studying in UK. I failed my paediatric OSCE twice and was assigned for 5 weeks re attachment. I had my paediatric OSCE few days ago and felt that I failed my third attempt (which is literally my last attempt). It will take another 6-8 weeks before I get an official result.

So far, I passed all my exams in the first attempt, until this year (year 4). And currently I’m holding Health Science/MedicalScience (Honour) degree. I was wondering what I can do if I fail my med school.

Based on what I gathered, many (if not all) of the medical school across the UK didn’t seem to be keen on accepting a failed med student.

My questions are:
1) Is there any medical school across the globe that is willingly to accept a failed clinical student? (Does IMU-Malaysia accept failed clinical student?)

2) If not, is it possible to transfer to another course e.g. dentistry? For dentistry, do I need to start from the beginning?

3) What are general courses available thatdo not require me to start from the beginning?

Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Sorry you've found yourself in this situation, must be incredibly stressful. What is it about paeds, or that OSCE in particular, that you struggled with so much? Did you get guidance and support after your failed attempts at the exam? Were there any extenuating circumstances at all?

Obviously the first thing is to keep your fingers crossed until you get your latest results and hope that you've passed. If you haven't, then unfortunately it does rather look like the end of the road for medicine. You would probably be allowed to graduate with some kind of BSc/BMedSci, and then start looking for jobs you could use that in. It is very unlikely you could transfer into another UK course, medicine or otherwise. If you wanted to do dentistry you'd have to reapply via UCAS like normal. It can't hurt to look to see if there are other places around the world that will take you, but I'm afraid I don't know of any.
Reply 2
Would they not offer to let you re-do the year?
Sorry to hear about the situation you're in. As Helenia says, don't lose hope yet until you have your final result in, although you are right that it is sensible to begin considering your other options, just in case.

You are right that unfortunately, other medical schools in the UK will not accept you. I would have thought that it would be unlikely that dentistry would accept you, but I honestly do not know. In any case, you would need to start from the beginning.

it is worth researching international options if this would be a possibility for you. I would guess that this is going to be a case of contacting schools individually as few people here are going to have up to date knowledge on that. But if you really want to continue with medicine, it is worth contacting them, the worst they can do is say no.

If you already have a medical science degree, have you thought about doing an MSc?

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending