Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Since China has now become the second large economic power in the world, do you think that China will exceed America and become No.1 in the world? (Another interesting thing is that China has now also become the No.2 destination for international students to study abroad. It seems universities in China is also becoming more and more popular than before.)

So do you think that China will surpass America and become No.1?

ReputationRep:
    Considering your name, I'm guessing you're a Chinese person who wants the thread title to be true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In 10 years yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    Considering your name, I'm guessing you're a Chinese person who wants the thread title to be true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I am a Chinese. I also wish the title can be true. But the true reason I submit this here is that I want to know your guys attitude upon this. So, what do you think of this topic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    In 10 years yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually I don't think it will be that fast. I also read news that China's economic is slowing down and facing crisis recently.

ReputationRep:
    No. Most of China's industrial output is owned and ran by South Korean, Japanese and American companies. It has a very poor population still. Its demographics are bad. It has internal problems with break away regions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    No.
    China will overtake the US; that is a given. The question is when this will happen.

Most of China's industrial output is owned and ran by South Korean, Japanese and American companies
    Evidence? I'm actually quite intrigued that you said this, I look forward to seeing the evidence you provide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhang Tom)
    Hi guys,

Since China has now become the second large economic power in the world, do you think that China will exceed America and become No.1 in the world? (Another interesting thing is that China has now also become the No.2 destination for international students to study abroad. It seems universities in China is also becoming more and more popular than before.)

It already has.
    China during 2015 will produce 17.6 trillion dollars compared to the 17.4 from the US.
    Though economic power is actually an arbitrary measurement.

ReputationRep:
    Eventually but I think it's more like 30 years off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    Eventually but I think it's more like 30 years off.
    In what century are you living in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhang Tom)
    Hi guys,

That stock market crash probably set them back another 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    It will probably exceed the US in terms of total GDP, as its population is around four times as large. Becoming only one quarter as productive as the US is not too hard given even relatively poor government, institutions, and human capital. By comparison countries like Serbia, Colombia, and Turkmenistan achieve that level of productivity. The PRC's extremely poor performance in the 20th century is actually quite unusual, an unnecessary result of it being governed by doctrinaire communists for so long.

It is very unlikely that the PRC will match developed countries in terms of per capita productivity or living standards, however, at the very least in this generation.

In the long term, the US will probably start to close the gap against the PRC again, as the PRC's population ages and declines while the US's continues to grow strongly, mostly due to immigration.

ReputationRep:
    Aeyo che ching china bolay

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.