Turn on thread page Beta

So, I've been at university for a week and I'm miserable all the time, feeling anxious. I have panic attacks in my lectures, which leads to me either not concentrating or just leaving. I'm going to the counsellor to talk about dropping out. I know I can't stay like this...I've never been this way before. Should I drop out?

ReputationRep:
    My panics attacks started at college. I was sitting in a lecture feeling fine then out of nowhere the room started spinning, my heart pounded, noises seemed louder and I had to run out the room. I felt fine the min I got out of the room. I could have sworn I was drugged and it took me months to accept the fact I had panic attacks and not some serious mental condition. I left college after I started getting them in every single lecture and then on the way to and back from college. That was a big mistake in my opinion. I cowered away from fear and it only grew stronger even after I left college and I ended up being housebound for 6 months because of them. Once I gave in and showed them they had the power to make me quit college, they had the power to stop me from doing everything in life. I also put off going to the doctor for six months which I don't recommend, even if you just go for piece of mind and not therapy or meds, it still relieves some of the tension and gives you a greater understanding. I also didn't tell my tutors, friends, family or bf as I felt embarrassed but more, I was in denial.

I really don't recommend you leaving uni and I know I am a hypocrite for saying that but it really doesn't help to run away from your panics. I know it feels like the number one thing to do and I know its easier said than done but facing them one step at a time is the only way to get over them. I recommend you talk to your tutors about this, even if you email them first if you don't want to say it face to face yet. Its a very common problem, especially with young adults and they will most likely be very understanding. Also see your GP as soon as you can. It can be awkward going to a GP for a MH problem but most are understanding nowadays. If it helps, write down how you feel and show them. I done that at first as I found it too awkward to say out loud at first, now I can talk about it openly with anyone until I am blue in the face.

If you do decide to drop out, your life isn't over so don't feel too disheartened if you do leave. You can always defer for a year or so or do what I done, I ended up doing my degree with OU instead as I didn't want to give up on my education entirely. Definitely discuss it though with the uni before you come to any concrete decisions. Keep all your options open for the time being.

General advice I can give you for panic attacks is make sure you are eating right. I can never be bothered eating in the morning and usually I rush around during the day that I forget to eat or put it off until later and if I do eat, its just a quick bit of chocolate. Low blood sugar was the cause of so many of my panic attacks and took me ages to realise it. Also make sure you are getting enough sleep. My OCD and panics go through the roof when I don't get enough sleep. Exercise is brilliant for anxiety. I know its the last thing you might feel like doing but even just a ten min walk around the block or 10 mins on an exercise bike is enough to burn off the adrenaline that causes the panic attacks and leaves you feeling invigorated. I also recommend the books and audio tapes of Dr Claire Weekes. Her books are what got me through anxiety and helped me more than therapy and meds ever did. I swear by her books now and whenever I feel anxiety creeping up again, I just have to read a chapter or 2 and I feel my mojo come back and the anxiety goes away.

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    My panics attacks started at college. I was sitting in a lecture feeling fine then out of nowhere the room started spinning, my heart pounded, noises seemed louder and I had to run out the room. I felt fine the min I got out of the room. I could have sworn I was drugged and it took me months to accept the fact I had panic attacks and not some serious mental condition. I left college after I started getting them in every single lecture and then on the way to and back from college. That was a big mistake in my opinion. I cowered away from fear and it only grew stronger even after I left college and I ended up being housebound for 6 months because of them. Once I gave in and showed them they had the power to make me quit college, they had the power to stop me from doing everything in life. I also put off going to the doctor for six months which I don't recommend, even if you just go for piece of mind and not therapy or meds, it still relieves some of the tension and gives you a greater understanding. I also didn't tell my tutors, friends, family or bf as I felt embarrassed but more, I was in denial.

I really don't recommend you leaving uni and I know I am a hypocrite for saying that but it really doesn't help to run away from your panics. I know it feels like the number one thing to do and I know its easier said than done but facing them one step at a time is the only way to get over them. I recommend you talk to your tutors about this, even if you email them first if you don't want to say it face to face yet. Its a very common problem, especially with young adults and they will most likely be very understanding. Also see your GP as soon as you can. It can be awkward going to a GP for a MH problem but most are understanding nowadays. If it helps, write down how you feel and show them. I done that at first as I found it too awkward to say out loud at first, now I can talk about it openly with anyone until I am blue in the face.

If you do decide to drop out, your life isn't over so don't feel too disheartened if you do leave. You can always defer for a year or so or do what I done, I ended up doing my degree with OU instead as I didn't want to give up on my education entirely. Definitely discuss it though with the uni before you come to any concrete decisions. Keep all your options open for the time being.

General advice I can give you for panic attacks is make sure you are eating right. I can never be bothered eating in the morning and usually I rush around during the day that I forget to eat or put it off until later and if I do eat, its just a quick bit of chocolate. Low blood sugar was the cause of so many of my panic attacks and took me ages to realise it. Also make sure you are getting enough sleep. My OCD and panics go through the roof when I don't get enough sleep. Exercise is brilliant for anxiety. I know its the last thing you might feel like doing but even just a ten min walk around the block or 10 mins on an exercise bike is enough to burn off the adrenaline that causes the panic attacks and leaves you feeling invigorated. I also recommend the books and audio tapes of Dr Claire Weekes. Her books are what got me through anxiety and helped me more than therapy and meds ever did. I swear by her books now and whenever I feel anxiety creeping up again, I just have to read a chapter or 2 and I feel my mojo come back and the anxiety goes away.
    I have decided to leave, but it's also due to my belief that I'm doing the wrong course. I'm going to take a year out of education to seek help, earn money etc. However, now my issue is that the course I want to do is only offered in my home town. I know lots of people would think that's great, but me being a massive worrier, I'm worried that this will lead to me never leaving home. Help?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.